Bleacher report article on David Johnson

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
Interesting piece on former UNI RB and Clinton native David Johnson.

From the article:

"Playing high school football in the small river town of Clinton—on the western shore of the Mississippi—David attracted little attention from big-time colleges. How unknown was he? David received a letter at his home from then-Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads that was addressed to "David Jacobson.""

Coach Rhoads might still have a job if this guy had came to Ames..

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/da...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Paul Rhodes offered David Jacobson?

LOL

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

From the article:

"Playing high school football in the small river town of Clinton—on the western shore of the Mississippi—David attracted little attention from big-time colleges. How unknown was he? David received a letter at his home from then-Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads that was addressed to "David Jacobson.""

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/da...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

img_4460.gif

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016

From the article:

Thats such a Paul Rhodes move

• Disagree
Reactions: isutrevman

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'm not saying that he's wrong, but without a pic, I'm not going to buy into it quite yet.

It could very well have happened, but "Jacobson" was probably on the envelope as that's where the letter is sent from.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

From the article:

There was enough talent anyhow to at least get bowl eligibility or .500ish with some proper direction, and he'd still have a job.

I said it in the other thread, but I don't believe Rhoads would have gotten Johnson's abilities to their potential.

allday4cy

Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
There was enough talent anyhow to at least get bowl eligibility or .500ish with some proper direction, and he'd still have a job.

I said it in the other thread, but I don't believe Rhoads would have gotten Johnson's abilities to their potential.

Rhoads would have probably put DJ on defense lol. Granted, I heard Farley did that the fist few days DJ was at UNI before he was moved to RB. Not sure if that is true or not, but i have heard that from a few UNI fans.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Could it be . . . might it be . . . that someone in the football office not named Rhoads might have mailed that letter and screwed up big time?

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I get it that people hate Rhoads, but EVERYBODY missed on David Johnson, not just us. He was the exact type of recruit that people would have ripped on him for taking since he had very little offers.

Fair point, and you're right. Not everybody sent a letter to him addressing him by the wrong name, either.

• Funny
Reactions: isutrevman

Help Support Us

Become a patron