BLOG: On Thursday in the NFL at least, stars did matter

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Watching it, I thought it was weird that the ESPN analysts were predicting the pick with almost 80 -90% accuracy. I don't know if they really have great ins with the team front offices or what, but they were nailing the picks more than I had ever seen in the past.

The entire OSU secondary being drafted was also telling. And that fact that Michigan and OSU accounted for 5 of the B1Gs picks. It shows how the B12 realty needs OU and UT to start playing better, and get some of their guys in the first round. They are the OSU and Michigan of this conference. The only first rounder for the B12 was Mahomes, which shows where the conference power houses are at.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
There were definitely some reaches in the first round but that is typical too. Some teams just fall in love with potential and testing numbers.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have the opposite reaction - 1/3 of the first round not being 4* or 5* seems really high. There's, what, 250 4*s or 5*s every year? for a full third of the top 32 pro prospects to not be in the top 250 out of high school seems to say that there are a ton of kids that weren't identified as future pros in HS that improved enough to get into the first round.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I have the opposite reaction - 1/3 of the first round not being 4* or 5* seems really high. There's, what, 250 4*s or 5*s every year? for a full third of the top 32 pro prospects to not be in the top 250 out of high school seems to say that there are a ton of kids that weren't identified as future pros in HS that improved enough to get into the first round.

And there are several thousand 3* and below, plus several thousand walkons. It should be expected that many from this group become future pros.

Last edited:

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I'm not sure we can really analyze anything from the picks last night. There are so many variables that led to decisions made. This is not as simple as the study of white and dark moths found in Europe during the industrial revolution there. But, I will say there is a relationship to "the survival of the fittest" aspect of this study. If you completely understand this post, I question your sanity!

Reactions: rholtgraves

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron