Blogger Goes After Fennelly

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Here's what Chuck Offenberger says:

Offenburger.com

HIS LONG AND DISTINGUISHED REGISTER CAREER ended on a bum note in May, 1999, with his retirement.

“I had a difference of opinion with Dennis Ryerson, the editor of the paper, about a story involving the athletic budget at Iowa State,” Maly said.

He said the story that the Cyclones’ budget was in a deep hole was being pursued by the Register’s excellent investigative sports reporter Tom Witosky and Jennifer Dukes-Lee, who was then staffing a news bureau the Register had in Ames. The story began to break when Maly was in Ames for an unrelated story, and Witosky and Dukes-Lee were unavailable.

“I called Witosky, and we talked about whether we should get the story in the Register right away or try to let it wait,” Maly said. “We decided it should go in the paper now, and I was going to do it. So I did, but Ryerson didn’t approve of the way the story was done. I decided it was time to retire.”

My memory of the incident is that Ryerson thought Maly plagiarized some of the story from the Ames newspaper. Maly obviously didn’t think his reporting and writing of the story crossed that line.

But he’d “already had some issues with Ryerson,” and he decided rather than resist the charge, he’d retire.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I agree. I didn't find what he wrote offensive at all, or did I think he was trying to make himself relevant. And to the person who asked if he had ever been in a press conference before....uh, ok. Yeah, pull his press pass because he said something bad about our women's bb coach....i thought he was 'irrelevant'??

Seriously, it is one thing to think that Maly's question was relevant, it is another thing to think that calling BF a prima donna is acceptable.

You can watch BF's press conference at Drake on cyclones.com. Not sure if it was edited. I watched it while doing a few other things and nothing that crazy stood out to me.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Another thing people aren't pointing out, even Maly said that the timing of BF's exit probably coincided with the post game coaches show he is obligated to do! If you know that's the case why spew all this garbage about him leaving just because he didn't like your question?

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Just came across Twitter from CoachFen

"Happy Birthday Coach Mac - what a special person - LUCKY to call him our coach and most importantly my friend"

Man - what a jerk! How ISU puts up with such "prima dona" behavior?????

(btw - happy birthday to Coach Mac) :wink:

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Just came across Twitter from CoachFen

"Happy Birthday Coach Mac - what a special person - LUCKY to call him our coach and most importantly my friend"

Man - what a jerk! How ISU puts up with such "prima dona" behavior?????

(btw - happy birthday to Coach Mac) :wink:
You know it wasn't Fen that was Twittering it was his media people that surround him just make him look good to the public, it is obvious by the press conference the guy is mean, irritable, and a PRIMA DONNA. :wink:

Reactions: DaddyMac

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
Not that we need to give this clown any attention. But everyone's good pal Ron Maly decided he felt the need to attack Bill Fennelly and Erin Smith, ISU's Associate director of athletic communications, in his "blog." It was very uncalled for IMO. Erin and the rest of the ISU Communications people work as hard as anybody in the department and to call her out is just ridiculous. If you want to waste 10 minutes of your life, take a look.

ronald wesley maly: It's Just Like the Old Days for Me: I Ask Bill Fennelly One Question, and the Press Conference Abruptly Ends; The Prima Donna Coach Bolts for the Door

I think everyone should read this thing. It is the cure for future abstinance. This is REALLY hard to read. It is like slogging through waist deep mud. After several paragraphs, I found myself screaming, "What is the point? Get to the point." Then when I arrived at the point, I screamed, "That's it? You're shirting me, right?" this person can not write.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
Just sent an e-mail to good old Ron, I feel better.

Nice to see you don't hold any grudges towards Iowa State and their employees. Bill Fennelly has done more for this state than you or your cronies put together, and, amazingly enough, some people around here do not know who you are, so they might ask a question or two about your credentials. I worked with you many years ago at the Register, and I can see you haven't lost your touch for ******** commentary. You might want to tone down your blog, I wasn't epileptic before reading it, but now, I'm not so sure. Keep swinging for the fences Ron, someday you might hit one out that isn't foul.

Reactions: simville02

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
For what it's worth, media members are asked "Who are you with" all the time. And if you are asking a visiting coach a question, it's standard practice to identify yourself and your organization as a courtesy. This guy either has the false impression that everybody in the state should know who he is, or doesn't care and was looking to cause a stir.

I would say that the old u of i grad sure did "cause a stir"...sorry sir blum for plagurizing(sic?) your post!!:biglaugh:

Sarcasm doesnt cost it PAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biglaugh:

andynel88

Mar 20, 2007
I love Bill Fennelly, but he does have a huge ego.
Ask Bobby LeGesse, now sports editor of the Ames Tribune. He commented in his paper earlier this year about whether an episode of "Lost" on at the same time would hurt attendance at a game.
It was a stupid point, but Fennelly was informed of it and just glared at him, while making a comment about it to open his post-game presser. I wonder why Fennelly would care about such a thing...

So, to support the claim that he has a huge ego you use anecdotal evidence of him "glaring" at the reporter and making one comment about it? That is stupid. If Bobby LaGeese takes that as a sign of having a huge ego then he is in for some huge surpises in sportswriting, if he gets very far which I doubt, him and Linehan (now gone thank goodness) seem like hacks of the Maly order.
And he would care about such a thing because attendance is HUGELY important to any athletics program. Are you serious?

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Why would you feel bad for what Coach or CID did? I don't see anything wrong with what they did. Even given the writers very unprofessional bias, it is clear that Coach didn't really disrespect him or show him up. The writer is an ***-hat.
The only thing rude that I could say Bill might have done is I'm betting that he knew the history of the discredited hack and was slamming him by asking him about his credentials.

The hack should have been embarrassed by why he was there in the first place and how he mooches his way to free basketball. Bill exposed him for being the slime ball leach and he knew it. YOu think he would recognize that and not write a BLOG about how he's slithering into games for free. I don't see anything wrong with what bill did. I thought it might actually be a tactful way to say "buy a friggin' ticket dirtball." With out showing him up with the general public. All he did was subtly point out his mooching for the people who don't have the backbone to make him understand.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Why would you feel bad for what Coach or CID did? I don't see anything wrong with what they did. Even given the writers very unprofessional bias, it is clear that Coach didn't really disrespect him or show him up. The writer is an ***-hat.
The only thing rude that I could say Bill might have done is I'm betting that he knew the history of the discredited hack and was slamming him by asking him about his credentials.

Fennelly didn't question Maly about his credentials. It was the SID who did that.

The hack should have been embarrassed by why he was there in the first place and how he mooches his way to free basketball. Bill exposed him for being the slime ball leach and he knew it. YOu think he would recognize that and not write a BLOG about how he's slithering into games for free. I don't see anything wrong with what bill did. I thought it might actually be a tactful way to say "buy a friggin' ticket dirtball." With out showing him up with the general public. All he did was subtly point out his mooching for the people who don't have the backbone to make him understand.

Ron Maly is fully aware that he mooches his way to free basketball access. It doesn't bother him. In fact, I'm sure a conscious part of his blog is to let us all know that he still has the connections to do so.

Last edited:

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
I would guess Exposing this hack was a "team effort", but either way, cunning, but well placed/deserved.

Sometimes you sholdn't walk on egg shells when doing what is right.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
It all hinges on this question:
"I said, "Bill, you've been in this game a long time. When was the last time you felt this way about one of your teams?"

If had said "when was the last time you felt this way after a loss", I would have guessed Fennelly would have answered. But he didn't ask that, he was trying to get BF to comment on his disappointment with this team as a whole, not just on how his team played that night.

Also, if Drake is anything like ISU, that is not a press pass he has, it is a staff pass. At ISU Press gets credentials that look similar, but they say Press, NOT Staff. Maybe it is a mistake that this guy got a staff pass instead, but I don't think I would answer such a pointed question from someone who is marked as Staff.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think there's more to this than we know. My guess is that BF somehow "wronged" Maly in the past - and Maly continues to hold that grudge (clearly). Maly has blogged about as many positive articles about ISU as I have - I'm sure he's taken swipes at Coach in the past - whether it be his blog or his time at the Rag.

And although Ms Smith didn't know/recognize Maly - I'd guess Bill did and chose not to respond to such a loaded question.