Blogger Goes After Fennelly

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I doubt that ISU has control over who has press access in the Drake post-game presser.
Does that mean Texas should approve of who has media credentials at Hilton, and who shoud be allowed to ask their coaches questions?

I didn't say we did or make the insinuation that we should have such input.

:confused:

All I'm saying, she didn't issue the credential, she most likely didn't know who he was... she has every right to inquire as to who he is and who he works for.

You don't think that if some other teams coach gets asked questions by Chris, they aren't going to inquire as to his background/employer/purpose/whatever?

Which make me wonder - most of the time in these pressers, the reporters identify themselves. "John Walters, WOI TV", "Randy Peterson, Des Moines Register".

What did Maly say? Or did he just raise his hand and ask a question out of left field without saying much else? Or did he give BF his "name on the kinnick wall" story too?

BTW - I went to pick up my tickets last week for the Drake MBB game. Mistakenly went to the SID dept there (used to be the old ticket office). Could've probably palmed 5 press credentials sitting on the counter unattended. (maybe should have)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I doubt that ISU has control over who has press access in the Drake post-game presser.
Does that mean Texas should approve of who has media credentials at Hilton, and who shoud be allowed to ask their coaches questions?

No, but they should be able to ask and know who these people are. And the fact that he has not been an active reporter for 10 years, never covered this sport when he was, and still expects everyone to know who he is and bend over backwards for him is ridiculous and just shows him to be a pompous @ss. He should recognize the extra privileges he is being granted still being allowed to have press access at all.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Event Staff = Press?

I think the glaring abuse of a favor is what all this comes down to.

Great point. He wasn't given a Press Pass, it was an Event Staff pass, so he had no business being in the interview room and asking a question. He had no more business being in that room than the guy cleaning the crappers.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
All I'm saying, she didn't issue the credential, she most likely didn't know who he was... she has every right to inquire as to who he is and who he works for.

That would be fine, as long as she asked that of everyone she didn't know, who they are and who they work for, not just one who asked a question that Fennelly didn't like.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That would be fine, as long as she asked that of everyone she didn't know, who they are and who they work for, not just one who asked a question that Fennelly didn't like.

And the only reason you have to suspect she didn't was that this guy doesn't think so? Also, seeing as it was Drake-ISU I would imagine that everyone else was basically local media that she would be familiar with.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006

Not remotely.

She works for ISU, is there for the WBB program and the coaches.

If he asks such a question - she has every right, and probably responsiblity, to find out who the person is and why they are there.

Not like media access to these coaches and players is a "right".

Not to mention - it was ISU/Drake - she may very well did know the other 3 people in the room.

Frankly - if Drake is issuing credentials to a person who is little more than a fan (or wannabe celebrity) and turns out that person is in a presser and is a hatchet man against BF and ISU ... well I'll just say that ISU should probably be making a few phone calls to the Drake SID.

From where I sit, Ms Smith did EXACTLY the right thing - aside from telling Maly directly to go @*(#$()*&# .......

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And the only reason you have to suspect she didn't was that this guy doesn't think so? Also, seeing as it was Drake-ISU I would imagine that everyone else was basically local media that she would be familiar with.

No, I don't know that she didn't. I'm just saying she can't be selective after the fact, if you believe Maly.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think Tornado Man is this guy's nephew or something...let's stop picking on his Uncle Ron.

I don't think it's that.

Just that everytime Maly comes up, I (mistakenly) read more of his stuff than is originally brought up, and I'm more and more convinced that

1) He's going insane - not joking either
2) He needs a swift kick in the junk
3) He's a self absorbed, egotistical, arrogant arse
4) All the above.

So - no, I don't believe Maly.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
For what it's worth, media members are asked "Who are you with" all the time. And if you are asking a visiting coach a question, it's standard practice to identify yourself and your organization as a courtesy. This guy either has the false impression that everybody in the state should know who he is, or doesn't care and was looking to cause a stir.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I don't think it's that.

Just that everytime Maly comes up, I (mistakenly) read more of his stuff than is originally brought up, and I'm more and more convinced that

1) He's going insane - not joking either
2) He needs a swift kick in the junk
3) He's a self absorbed, egotistical, arrogant arse
4) All the above.

So - no, I don't believe Maly.

But he's a four-time Iowa Sportswriter of the Year, charter member of the Kinnick Stadium Wall Of Fame at Iowa and best-selling author! Just ask him! He'll remind you!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
But he's a four-time Iowa Sportswriter of the Year, charter member of the Kinnick Stadium Wall Of Fame at Iowa and best-selling author! Just ask him! He'll remind you!

See #3.

Then refer to #2

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
My memory is that Maly was one of the guys that were highly critical of Lute Olsen and helped drive him out of the state. For that I thank him. Now it is time for him to fade away. Its not the 80s anymore.