Blum's all-time Cyclone lineup

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Fun thread all, FYI my list is from guys that I saw play. And was more of an entertainment stand-point. I never watched Stevens/Grayer/Hornacek/Aziz. I was born in '84, I wish I was around for them!

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I remember playing NBA Live on the Playstation and getting Tinsley, Hoiberg, and Cato on the same team.

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Some very good players, but any starting five of ISU greats must include Barry Stevens. The guy was an absolute stud. If I am putting together an all-time list of ISU greats since 1980, I go with:

PG Tinsley (With a great senior year, Monte could be the guy)
WG Stevens (Best scorer in ISU history)
SF Grayer (Mr. Everything. His generations Niang, plus a great defender)
PF Niang
PF Fizer (An absolute beast as a college player)

A couple guys who I think get overlooked because they weren't flashy were Victor Alexander and Curtis Stinson. Cato gets a lot of love from ISU fans as the best center during the Hilton era because he was a great shot blocker, but Victor was smooth and a steady player.
Did we watch the same Curtis Stinson? That Stinson/Blalock backcourt was flashy as hell.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Cato gets a lot of love from ISU fans as the best center during the Hilton era because he was a great shot blocker, but Victor was smooth and a steady player.

Agree. Cato was perfect for his role on those ISU rosters, but Big-Victa was more productive offensively and as you say, steady contributor.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Here’s my Roster of 13 (revision of starting-5 I posted previously)

PG Tinsley
SG Stevens
SF Grayer
PF Fizer
C Abdul-Aziz

Bench (alpha order):
Alexander
Cato
Hoiberg
Hornacek
Ivy
Niang
Thompson
Willoughby

Reactions: t-noah

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Here’s my Roster of 13 (revision of starting-5 I posted previously)

PG Tinsley
SG Stevens
SF Grayer
PF Fizer
C Abdul-Aziz

Bench (alpha order):
Alexander
Cato
Hoiberg
Hornacek
Ivy
Niang
Thompson
Willoughby

This is obviously people's memories or reflections but if you take out Stevens and put in Hornacek you're real close.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My team would be
Kane
Grayer
Niang
White
Fizer
6&7 man Hoiberg tinsley

This team would be like grown men abusing kids playing college basketball. Would probably outweigh a typical college bball team by 50 lb per player.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I loved Niang and Royce, but I can't believe how many people are leaving Fizer out. He was the most dominant Foward that ISU has ever had.

Fizer > Royce, Cato, Niang

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Limited to guys I saw play - too young to remember Stevens or Abdul Aziz.

PG - Jamal Tinsley
SG - Fred Hoiberg
SF - Jeff Grayer
PF - Georges Niang
F/C - Royce White

Bench - need some versatility here, so I'll fill out the bench with:
Deandre Kane - combo guard who can play on or off the ball
Dustin Hogue - energy guy, can make an impact without being a focal point
Melvin Ejim - chemistry guy who can play inside and out
Julius Michalik - Perimeter big is a matchup nightmare
Kelvin Cato - Rim defender and finisher on the break.
Tyrus McGee - instant offense
Curtis Stinson -not so much because I need another PG, but I'd want to watch the intrasquad scrimmages to see him and Tinsley go back and forth. Fun matchup.

I think Fizer/Tinsley is pretty much a must and I almost think McGee off the bench as sixth man. I really can't think of a player better to come off the bench to score, throw out stats because if you watched him play the shots he took....he was the best shooter we've had. It's those other three starters I can't nail down.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Kind of surprised how many people putting White above Fizer...unless our board is a lot younger than I'd guess or if it was just like voting for fun players to watch.

I go back to about '95 with memories of guys who played (was a Hawkeye before that) and Fizer/Tinsley are 1 and 1A. Fizer was quite clearly the best NCAA basketball player in the tournament his junior year once KMart got injured.

I guess Tinsley is a no brainer because he was maybe our best player and also even more ridiculously fun to watch than Royce with the way he had the ball on a string.

• Agree
Reactions: acgclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's really hard to narrow down to just 5. Heck, it would be hard to narrow down to 15 or 20 for that matter. There have been a lot of great Clones over the years.

However, at PG you must have Tinsley IMO, and it probably isn't all that close. I love Morris, but he isn't Tinsley, not yet anyway.

And I think you almost have to put Grayer and Fizer on there too. So that gives you Tinsley, Grayer, and Fizer as "givens" IMO.

Then, if you want to go with best lineup as far as being able to win games, you have to add some scorers, so give me Hoiberg and Stevens.

And my 6th man would have to be my favorite Cyclone MBB player of all time..... Georges Niang.

Reactions: t-noah

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
I'm surprised Monte Morris is getting zero love on this list. C'mon man. The kid is likely to be a preseason All-American and best PG in the land this year. Just goes to show the run of talent we've had since the turn of the century.

My All-Century team:
Monte Morris
Jamaal Tinsley
Georges Niang
Royce White
Marcus Fizer

(You know you've had some absurd talent when you have a hard time throwing Big 12 POY and All-American Melvin Ejim in there).

That backcourt of Morris and Tinsley to set up that dynamic scoring frontcourt would be fun to watch.

I'll take that All-Century team against pretty much anyone else in the country outside of maybe the dominant blue bloods. Would be fun to see a list from Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC fans to see how we stack up.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Kind of surprised how many people putting White above Fizer...unless our board is a lot younger than I'd guess or if it was just like voting for fun players to watch.

I go back to about '95 with memories of guys who played (was a Hawkeye before that) and Fizer/Tinsley are 1 and 1A. Fizer was quite clearly the best NCAA basketball player in the tournament his junior year once KMart got injured.
I guess I'm guilty of recency bias. Fizer was dominant, although you could also argue that Royce was the best player in the tournament in his one year, and that group included Anthony Davis and Andre Drummond.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron