Books Galore

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
My wife and I have been slowly decluttering our house. We both are readers, and have hundreds of books, mostly paperbacks. We're both keeping some, but for the most part, want to get rid of 90% of them.

The question we're wrestling with is what to do with all of them. Donate to library, donate to Goodwill, sell them to 1/2 Price Books, or have a garage sale? None of the books we're getting rid of are really classics.

Any thoughts?

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
We've not had a garage sale in awhile, but I tried to sell a bunch during our last and didn't have much luck, even with all priced at 25 or 50 cents.

We are looking at a similar situation as you, and I'll probably donate to our local library.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
interesting questions. we had a similar purge when we moved awhile back. our local library has an annual book sale so we called them up and donated about 75% of the books and gave the other 25% to goodwill. We claimed about $2/book for tax purposes.

Reactions: Angie

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Do you have a consignment store in the area that would take them? I've started bringing all my junk to Stuff Etc and have made about $100 a year off about 100 items consigned. Super easy money.

Reactions: Angie

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Our local Lion's Club has a book sale every year as a fund raiser. You might search around for a service organization or special fund raiser in your area that you could donate to.

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
I'd either donate them or bring them to a place like half price books and get some money out of them.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
My wife and I have been slowly decluttering our house. We both are readers, and have hundreds of books, mostly paperbacks. We're both keeping some, but for the most part, want to get rid of 90% of them.

The question we're wrestling with is what to do with all of them. Donate to library, donate to Goodwill, sell them to 1/2 Price Books, or have a garage sale? None of the books we're getting rid of are really classics.

Any thoughts?

What kind of books do you have? I have a bunch of books but I want to buy more, not sell what I have.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Make sure to check with your library first. They may or may not have room for them.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
What kind of books do you have? I have a bunch of books but I want to buy more, not sell what I have.

Mine are primarily lawyer, cop, and spy stories (Steve Martini, John Lescroart, Jeffrey Deaver, Michael Connelly, Brad Thor, etc.) I call hers chick books (Nora Roberts, Jody Picoult, etc.)

We're keeping the ones we both like (Pat Conroy, Lee Child, Stephen King, Wally Lamb, John Irving, and Christopher Moore)

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nothing against some of you but having a garage sale would be the last thing on earth I'd want to do.
I value my time way too much. I donate almost everything.

• Agree
Reactions: DeereClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron