Misc: Boris Becker going to prison

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yikes, and he's probably got many more years to live.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Dude owed almost 50M pounds to his creditors when he filed for bankruptcy. His lifetime tennis earnings were about 38M pounds. I'm fairly certain that he didn't earn 12M pounds in the 18 years afer his retirement so he essentially owed more in debt than he had ever made in his lifetime.

I'm no accountant, but that doesn't seem sustainable...

Reactions: Kinch

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Dude owed almost 50M pounds to his creditors when he filed for bankruptcy. His lifetime tennis earnings were about 38M pounds. I'm fairly certain that he didn't earn 12M pounds in the 18 years afer his retirement so he essentially owed more in debt than he had ever made in his lifetime.

You are correct. Maybe he thought he could mimic a government business model.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

It boggles my mind to try and understand how somebody that made 38 million during their career would ever even need to take out a loan for anything...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It boggles my mind to try and understand how somebody that made 38 million during their career would ever even need to take out a loan for anything...
What people think they "need" tends to very easily expand to take up all of their income. This is especially true when a guy, like Becker, starts coming into real money at a young age. Becker won Wimbledon at 17. He lived a rich lifestyle while successful on the tennis circuit. He had a wife and kids who also expected such a lifestyle and expected him to pay for it after a divorce. Many divorce decrees for the wealthy saddle the breadwinner with obligations that while reasonable at the time become unsustainable once their income comes down to a more pedestrian level, especially if they spent money pretty much as fast as they earned it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'd keep his partner entertained for a weekend. Realistically it might be the opposite but I'd be good with it.

TClone99

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You are correct. Maybe he thought he could mimic a government business model.
Well the Federal Government’s total debt is 31-ish trillion, but US household income is over 150 trillion. Also Americans age 70 and older had a total net worth of more than 35 trillion as of the middle of last year. So not exactly as dire a situation as Boris is facing.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: VeloClone

83cy

May 14, 2006
Well the Federal Government’s total debt is 31-ish trillion, but US household income is over 150 trillion. Also Americans age 70 and older had a total net worth of more than 35 trillion as of the middle of last year. So not exactly as dire a situation as Boris is facing.
That doesn't sound very good!