Bosses Giving Christmas Gifts

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
To those of you who have employees reporting to you - do you personally buy your employees Christmas gifts (not using company money)? If so, how much do you spend per employee?

I started in a new position last year where a precedent had been set that the boss (me) gets everyone a gift for Christmas. I don't mind doing it because I think it's a good motivator for them, but I end up spending several hundred dollars each year ($50 per employee) now on Christmas gifts which is more than I was used to in previous positions.

I'm just curious what others do.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
We stopped doing that and instead donate about $10/employee to a family in need. Employees don't really need anything and this way it helps out someone who has real needs.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I worked for the Gov't so it wasn't really allowed ("gift-giving"). However I took the guys (engineering office - all men) out to lunch on alternate days wherever they wanted to go. Civils one day, EE's another, ME's another, Arch's and Techs another. Probably averaged about $15-20 a pop. They (and I) really appreciated the chance to get out of the office for a decent period of time during the holidays.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
We stopped doing that and instead donate about $10/employee to a family in need. Employees don't really need anything and this way it helps out someone who has real needs.

We did that too once and found that the family we were told certainly was in need but only to discover their name was out there for a lot of other people to lend a hand as well. They were featured in the paper of the gifts they all had received and needless to say ours weren't in there. Oh well...............

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
My Boss is taking us out for lunch today, that is enough of a gift in my opinion.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
The bosses in my office bring in copious amounts of food for the office. All week we have feasted on soups, dips, cookies, etc. That is enough in my opinion.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I made a deal with my admin assistant. I give her a Christmas gift ($100 cash) and that is the only gift for the year. No admin assistant's day gift, no birthday gift, etc. In return, she agrees to not buy me anything at all for the entire year.

I hate gifts in the workplace and she likes this arrangement so it works well.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I do. I know a lot don't though. I usually write a nice note to each individually and either get gifts or gift cards in the $40 range. I used to do $50 when I had 5 direct report, no kids so more discretionary income, but now I have 13 and 3 kids, so got kind of pricy but had started a precident so feel obligated. I think the note is more appreciated than the gift. If I could do it over I would just do nice notes and a little more modest gift.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Our manager is pretty awesome. He matched donations to an orphanage, thinking maybe it would cost him $50 or so and he ended up cutting a check for almost 3 grand. He throws a great party for us at one of the local country clubs or restaurants (this year Glen Oaks) with food and drinks covered, and then we all leave with some sort of a gift bag. This year there were wine baskets with wine, cheese and crackers, a gambling basket that included a Prairie Meadows gift card, and a movie basket that had tons of movie theater candy in it and a movie theater gift card.
I can't complain. For the people that help me out it really depends on what kind of year I've had but I haven't gone over $50. Usually toss in a couple scratch off lotto tickets with some gift cards to a restaurant.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
My boss took us all out to Centro for lunch and then got us some chocolates.

MadCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2006
Madison, WI
My manager took us 9 out to a happy hour(s) at one of Madison's brewery's. He set it up so we'd all leave about 1.5 hours before most us normally do and paid for appetizers and beers on his personal card. Pretty fun, that guy is awesome. Heck, he's even a University of Iowa graduate.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I made a deal with my admin assistant. I give her a Christmas gift ($100 cash) and that is the only gift for the year. No admin assistant's day gift, no birthday gift, etc. In return, she agrees to not buy me anything at all for the entire year.

I hate gifts in the workplace and she likes this arrangement so it works well.

if i promise not to buy you anything can i have $100?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron