Bourbon Help

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Templeton Rye Special Reserve Barrel aged 10 years. It’s not cheap but it’s fantastic.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I am a little sad at myself for not trying it yet but probably one he can't get in Chicago yet is Iowa Distilling Company Bourbon.

Cedar Ridge is great really but they have been expanding their markets a bit already.

The IDC bourbon is solid. Finishes a little light and I'd still give the nod to CR, but definitely good. I'd also recommend not having more than a small snort of it if you find yourself at the Cumming Tap on a break during a bike ride with another 15+ miles left to go. Free advice, from experience.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The IDC bourbon is solid. Finishes a little light and I'd still give the nod to CR, but definitely good. I'd also recommend not having more than a small snort of it if you find yourself at the Cumming Tap on a break during a bike ride with another 15+ miles left to go. Free advice, from experience.

A nice buzz on a wide open bike path is the best.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
why is everyone even on the Templeton train still?? it's a mix made in Indiana then bottled in Iowa if I remember right. it has no connection anymore to the original other then name.

we have consumed more then a few bottles of their Prairie Fire on bike rides (like multiple bottles on a single ride) so I know they have some good stuff at least, but have never picked up the bourbon from them I have realized.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
why is everyone even on the Templeton train still?? it's a mix made in Indiana then bottled in Iowa if I remember right. it has no connection anymore to the original other then name.

we have consumed more then a few bottles of their Prairie Fire on bike rides (like multiple bottles on a single ride) so I know they have some good stuff at least, but have never picked up the bourbon from them I have realized.

Im pretty sure Templeton brought their production back to Iowa when they were outed for going to the large distiller in Indiana.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Im pretty sure Templeton brought their production back to Iowa when they were outed for going to the large distiller in Indiana.

Man, y’all have to listen to the Iowa Drinks podcast. The Iowa-made Templeton hasn’t Hit the shelves yet, but they are being careful to make sure that there’s not a notable difference (allegedly). Cedar Ridge is available all over Illinois, but is a solid choice.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Cycho1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 18, 2008
Barrington Hills, IL
I posed this to our overlord (@ChrisMWilliams) but I’m sure he’s far too busy running a business to answer...

I’m visiting a friend in Chicago in a few weeks. He’s a bourbon drinker. I imbibe on occasion but don’t know the first thing about them. What are some good Iowa bourbons that I can give him as a gift? I want to give him something he can’t get where he lives.

TIA

It's not an Iowa bourbon, but Angel's Envy does a limited Cask Strength bourbon every year. It comes in a nice wood box, perfect for gifting (I've gifted it multiple times). It's pretty much sold out in the Chicagoland area, I had to go to Rockford last weekend to find one at Binny's.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
IMO Real Templeton is like most bootleg products. That is being wildly inconsistent. I grew up in Carroll county and I've sampled dozens of batches. Some was outstanding and some bordered on pretty rough.

It usually depended on how well they cleaned out the empty bottle of BV before packaging.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anyone have anything from the Lonely Oak Distillery in Earling? I've been tempted as I am from around there, but never get back there anymore.

Reactions: clones6421