Bowen Born

Sep 30, 2019
Let me give you a quick rundown of the number of players under 6 foot on each Big 12 roster:

Baylor- 0
Iowa State- 0
KU- 0
K-State-0
OU- 0
OSU- 0
TCU- 1 (Quinton Uribe, has yet to appear in a game)
Texas- 0
Texas Tech- 0
WVU-1 (Spencer Macke, averaging 1.3 ppg)

I believe I counted 4 players that were listed right at 6' 0", and the only real contributor I could find was Jordan McCabe who goes at 6'0.

What about last year though? Remember when everyone was upset on this board when TCU came to Hilton and spanked us? Remember their short guard off the bench Kendric Davis? He is listed at 5'11 and put up 22 points on us.

• Winner
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What about last year though? Remember when everyone was upset on this board when TCU came to Hilton and spanked us? Remember their short guard off the bench Kendric Davis? He is listed at 5'11 and put up 22 points on us.

So one guy, one time scored 22 points on us and that validates all guards under 6 foot?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
So one guy, one time scored 22 points on us and that validates all guards under 6 foot?
Born isn't your typical small guard. He can dunk pretty easily, get his shot off over bigger guys, and is quick enough to make up for his lack of size. All that said, I'm still on the fence with him, and think UNI is probably right for him. If no other major team offered, it's hard for me to sit here and say they are ALL wrong. It's easy to get spellbound by how good he is when he really isn't playing against any other D1 talent on a regular basis.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Born isn't your typical small guard. He can dunk pretty easily, get his shot off over bigger guys, and is quick enough to make up for his lack of size. All that said, I'm still on the fence with him, and think UNI is probably right for him. If no other major team offered, it's hard for me to sit here and say they are ALL wrong. It's easy to get spellbound by how good he is when he really isn't playing against any other D1 talent on a regular basis.

I get it. Like I said before, I wouldn't have been upset if we recruited him. I just see people on here acting like it's a no-brainer when there are literally only 2 other kids his size in this conference.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
What year do you guys think Born would start getting minutes at Iowa State? I don't really see him getting time over Bolton, Jackson, or Grill in the future.... That doesn't even include the freshmen coming in or any potential transfers.
Hate to be this guy, but I can see him having a better college career than Grill, albeit playing on a smaller stage in the MVC

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What year do you guys think Born would start getting minutes at Iowa State? I don't really see him getting time over Bolton, Jackson, or Grill in the future.... That doesn't even include the freshmen coming in or any potential transfers.

This is a relevant point as well. With where this team is right now, we need guys that can contribute immediately. One commonality between really all our recruits is a Big 12 build.

If Born came through, say, in year 1 or 2 for Prohm maybe you take a flier on him knowing there aren't many minutes to go around the first few years. Then you can really see what you have there and if it doesn't work encourage him to find somewhere else. We've lost that luxury.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Foster is starting to show why he is top 60 now. He was hitting long range three pointers, making some good post moves. I would take Foster in a second over Born at Iowa State. Saying that I would say Born will be a great player at UNI and I wish we would have landed him. His shooting and driving ability are something we could really use.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Foster is starting to show why he is top 60 now. He was hitting long range three pointers, making some good post moves. I would take Foster in a second over Born at Iowa State. Saying that I would say Born will be a great player at UNI and I wish we would have landed him. His shooting and driving ability are something we could really use.

That is the real question here -- opportunity costs.

Who would you *not* want on the roster for a 5'11" developmental guard who cannot play PG, create his own shot, or probably do much on defense?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
im 5'10 i should be in big 12

put up 11 points once on 3-19 shooting and 5-5 from the line in frosh ball back in '72.

KOBEEEE

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hate to be this guy, but I can see him having a better college career than Grill, albeit playing on a smaller stage in the MVC

How can you even begin to compare though? One is playing big boy basketball and the other is playing in a one bid league. Jesus, not every kid that has a good mid major career should be on a P5 roster.

• Agree
Reactions: TheHonestCycloneFan
Sep 30, 2019

No but there are plenty of great college players under 6 feet that are successful. You make it out that all are ineffective at the college level which simply isn't true. I never said we should have recruited Born I am just pointing out that your list of guards under 6 ft for one conference and one year is a small sample to look at.

Carson Edwards was 5'11 and averaged 24 points last year leading Purdue to the elite eight.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
That is the real question here -- opportunity costs.

Who would you *not* want on the roster for a 5'11" developmental guard who cannot play PG, create his own shot, or probably do much on defense?
Irrelevant because there will be scholarships to fill 45 days from now. In regards to the other part of your post, you must not have seen Born play at all this year, and ignored all of his clips that have been posted in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: Drew0311

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
No but there are plenty of great college players under 6 feet that are successful. You make it out that all are ineffective at the college level which simply isn't true. I never said we should have recruited Born I am just pointing out that your list of guards under 6 ft for one conference and one year is a small sample to look at.

Carson Edwards was 5'11 and averaged 24 points last year leading Purdue to the elite eight.

Carsen Edwards measured in at the NBA combine at 6'0.25" with a 6'6" wingspan. He was a top 140 player (#91 by Rivals, #138 by 247) out of high school and had offers from Baylor, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Houston, and Vanderbilt.

Born is likely an inch shorter, not that level athlete, currently the #407 player in the 2020 class by 247 (no rivals rating), and his best offers are UNI, Drake, and Indiana State.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Irrelevant because there will be scholarships to fill 45 days from now. In regards to the other part of your post, you must not have seen Born play at all this year, and ignored all of his clips that have been posted in this thread.

You are right that Haliburton's will be open and perhaps some others.

That being said -- is that 5'11" Iowa kid what you want to do with that when the team is going to need some immediate contributors for next year?

Would you take Born over another Bolton?

Help Support Us

Become a patron