***Bowl Games Thread***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I see the Idaho Potato Bowl is going on tonight. I couldn't remember the name it had when ISU went there with Mac that one time, so I looked it up (Humanitarian Bowl.) The wikipedia page for the bowl shows that the year ISU was there still holds the record for attendance at 30,446. Last years attendance was 13,611. They have not had a Power 5 tie in for the bowl since 2008.

I recalled that being a Big 12 bowl that ISU was the only one to vote against having as an option for the Big 12 and also the only one forced to participate, but the wiki page never mentions that. Am I thinking of a different bowl game? Pinstripe maybe?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Teenager just walked through and asked, "What's UCF stand for, Unlimited Choke Fest?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I am not one to take too much from bowl games because they are simply exhibitions, but UCF is not doing Cincinnati and Aresco (the American Athletic Conference Commissioner) any favors with their whining about the Bearcats deserving anything. UCF had Cincy all but beat about a month ago and is considered Cincinnati's best or second best win (Tulsa is arguably better). BYU is doing whatever they want to UCF and look bored at this point, as it's 49-17 heading to the 4th Qtr.

Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
BYU was a good story this season. In a year where some larger programs were excusing themselves from competition, these guys went on the road to play another undefeated G5 on short notice and had one of the games of the year trying to boost their CFP hopes. They lost that game but deserve a lot of credit for maintaining the spirit of competition that this sport is supposed to be about.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
BYU was a good story this season. In a year where some larger programs were excusing themselves from competition, these guys went on the road to play another undefeated G5 on short notice and had one of the games of the year trying to boost their CFP hopes. They lost that game but deserve a lot of credit for maintaining the spirit of competition that this sport is supposed to be about.

One thing i've liked about this season is some of the short-notice scheduling. I kind of hate how everything in CFB is scheduled a decade in advance.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
One thing i've liked about this season is some of the short-notice scheduling. I kind of hate how everything in CFB is scheduled a decade in advance.

I'm not sure how you'd do it but it sure would be fun if there were 1-2 games each non-conference season that teams could schedule after about week 6 to be toward at the end of the year so that teams in the hunt could generate the relevant data points for selection criteria. Sure would beat any SEC-1AA snoozer game you get in November.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I see the Idaho Potato Bowl is going on tonight. I couldn't remember the name it had when ISU went there with Mac that one time, so I looked it up (Humanitarian Bowl.) The wikipedia page for the bowl shows that the year ISU was there still holds the record for attendance at 30,446. Last years attendance was 13,611. They have not had a Power 5 tie in for the bowl since 2008.

I recalled that being a Big 12 bowl that ISU was the only one to vote against having as an option for the Big 12 and also the only one forced to participate, but the wiki page never mentions that. Am I thinking of a different bowl game? Pinstripe maybe?

The year we played there we were playing Boise State on their home field. That's I'm sure the larger reason for why the high attendance that year.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Georgia Southern controlling the 1st Half vs Louisiana Tech

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Anyone else just love watching the lower tier bowl games? Might just be the CFB fan in me but I really enjoy watching the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl on a Tuesday at 2 pm

• Agree
Reactions: Prone2Clone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Houston had a great drive and then gave up a kick return. Kick only went to the 8 or so. Still pretty bad coverage.