BOWL: Liberty Bowl vs Memphis Dec 29

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
For the bbq discussion.

I went to Memphis for business last year and went to Germantown Commissary from a recommendation on this board and it was near my hotel. It was a great rustic little place. Definitely would go again.

The local guys I worked with also took me to Memphis Barbecue Company and ordered this gigantic platter with like a dozen kinds of meat. Very likely best bbq of my life. It’s actually a few blocks into Mississippi, probably not most convenient location for most but worth it for real bbq lovers. They acted like the chef/owner was some kind of celebrity on tv. They bring fresh made pork rinds to tables when they seat you.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY and DarkStar

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I think this bowl game is probably the toughest sell to fans of any bowl games in our history.

I disagree. Phoenix the day after Christmas against UNLV or Shreveport on December 16 would have lesser ISU attendance, in my opinion. And the Pinstripe Bowl was probably the hardest ISU bowl game sell to fans.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah that video is a tough look. Almost everything about this bowl game sucks, and he knows it
Pollard with the principal Skinner moment here. He didn't anticipate the Tigers being picked as being a problem for ISU fans, and JP LOVES everything about the Liberty bowl. So it doesn't compute there's reluctance to it.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I think this bowl game is probably the toughest sell to fans of any bowl games in our history.

Agreed. The fact that it's a rematch in a questionable location. We're actually used to going to bowl games now. There's a lot kinda stacked against being excited for this one.

On the good side of things, it's drivable. The date isn't bad at all for most people. And Memphis is a hell of a lot better than Shreveport.

I'm trying to talk myself into going...

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I disagree. Phoenix the day after Christmas against UNLV or Shreveport on December 16 would have lesser ISU attendance, in my opinion. And the Pinstripe Bowl was probably the hardest ISU bowl game sell to fans.
I was comparing just to the historical games we have been to, not the theoretical other options we could have had for this year.

Pinstripe had its plusses and minuses. New location for us, tons to do in NYC, New Years in the city, power conference opponent we had never played before. Of course negatives with weather and cost. Just depends what you value.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Two things I've liked about my trips to the Liberty Bowl.

1. The town really embraces the game. You get more of a bowl game experience where the locals embrace the game. Can't say the same for games in bigger cities.

2. The bowl game raises money to support St. Judes Children's Research Hospital where patients do not receive a hospital bill.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Not a chance. Do you remember the Humanitarian Bowl?
I sure do. That would be the one I would argue as being worse than this. I could have gone to the Humanitarian for free as I was in the band that year. I opted to stay home. The bowl location and opponent sucked, and the way the team had flamed out in the second half of the season it seemed like a certainty that we would lose.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Memphis is way better and closer than Shreveport too regardless of weather.
I agree. I went to the Independence Bowl and Shreveport sucked big time. This game is easily driveable and affordable. I'm not all that excited about the matchup, but I'll go because I want to see this team play again and I can go for way less than a grand. Timing wise is great too. You can make a long weekend out of it and get back in time for New Year's Eve. It's not near as bad as a lot of people are complaining about. Hopefully we can finally get some good weather for this game, because we have been really unlucky with that.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
CW makes a good sell for the bowl game experience, partying on Beale Street.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Agreed. The fact that it's a rematch in a questionable location. We're actually used to going to bowl games now. There's a lot kinda stacked against being excited for this one.

On the good side of things, it's drivable. The date isn't bad at all for most people. And Memphis is a hell of a lot better than Shreveport.

I'm trying to talk myself into going...
C'mon! We'll have a blast.

Help Support Us

Become a patron