Bracket Discussion

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Agree. If we assume a 5 seed, those 3 are almost certainly on 12 line. So there's 75% chance, realistically.

My best-guess for the other 12 is probably one of these (in order of likelihood):
(1) A-10 auto-bid
(2) UAB (if it wins C-USA auto-bid)
(3) Late bid steal as AQ (Vandy/Ohio State) or Vandy getting at-large*

One First Four could be on 12 line, but more likely both are locked into 11 line.

* Still thinking it's win AQ or out for Vandy, I don't think def A&M is enough to climb into it. But I've been wrong before!
Has there ever been a P6 12 seed before?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Both Iowa and ISU should play Drake and UNI every year. The games should always be played in Hilton and Carver. This is the correct answer, not sure what gets in the way.

Well UNI and Drake won't play us only in Hilton, so that's the main problem with your plan.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Both Iowa and ISU should play Drake and UNI every year. The games should always be played in Hilton and Carver. This is the correct answer, not sure what gets in the way.
Iowa and Iowa State have no interest in a possible loss when they can buy an easy win for less money when the committee has proven over and over that it doesn't matter who you play if you're a P6.

I don't mean that in a negative way at all towards Iowa State or Iowa. That's how the statement system has been set up and they're just playing by the same rules that everybody else is.

The Valley, A10 and Mountain West figured out how to break the RPI and we're siphoning off too much money so the NET was created to make the formula secret and reward mediocre P6 teams for not playing better mids. It's what CBS/Turner wanted. The Mountain West had weathered it a little better because of geography but the end game for those 3 and the New AAC is making sure they are one bid leagues and we get every P6 that is over .500 into the tournament.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Well UNI and Drake won't play us only in Hilton, so that's the main problem with your plan.
Not true at all. UNI offered a flat buy game this year and Iowa State wasn't interested, nor was Iowa. I can't speak for Drake.

I don't expect that there will be any discussions of playing a game at all in the future.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Seems bizarre to me. Maybe I don’t pay that close attention

It doesn't happen as often as a P6 team being an 11 seed, but semi-related to the previous discussion about P6 teams upsetting other P6 teams in those matchups back in 2019 12 seed Oregon absolutely curbstomped 5 seed Wisconsin, and in 2021 12 seed Oregon State decisively beat 5 seed Tennessee to start their run to the Elite Eight.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Iowa and Iowa State have no interest in a possible loss when they can buy an easy win for less money when the committee has proven over and over that it doesn't matter who you play if you're a P6.

I don't mean that in a negative way at all towards Iowa State or Iowa. That's how the statement system has been set up and they're just playing by the same rules that everybody else is.

The Valley, A10 and Mountain West figured out how to break the RPI and we're siphoning off too much money so the NET was created to make the formula secret and reward mediocre P6 teams for not playing better mids. It's what CBS/Turner wanted. The Mountain West had weathered it a little better because of geography but the end game for those 3 and the New AAC is making sure they are one bid leagues and we get every P6 that is over .500 into the tournament.
Iowa plays 20 conference games. I suspect ISU will go to 20 starting next year. You play 3 in a tournament somewhere.
Iowa and ISU play every year.

Also Big 12 has been playing Big East opponents lately.

That is 25 games.

Still think you can play UNI and Drake alternating years. But don't think ISU should give up ticket revenue by playing them on the road.

That said given the schedule Iowa and ISU play there probably is no huge benefit for them play UNI/Drake in terms of value wins. But a loss could certainly be a big negative Risk vs reward.

I like to see them play , but I get the challenges as well

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

To be clear my "dislike" emoji isn't directed towards you as a disagreement or a refutation of what you write, but is instead intended to dislike what could happen with the tournament in the future.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Why?

Isn't that cowardly of ISU and Iowa?

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Iowa plays 20 conference games. I suspect ISU will go to 20 starting next year. You play 3 in a tournament somewhere.
Iowa and ISU play every year.

Also Big 12 has been playing Big East opponents lately.

That is 25 games.

Still think you can play UNI and Drake alternating years. But don't think ISU should give up ticket revenue by playing them on the road.

Mad Fran also had a fit a number of years ago about officiating (maybe back in 2011 or 2012?) when he and the Hawks lost at UNI and naturally made a huge scene and since then Iowa has never played in Cedar Falls again.

He's such an unmitigated a$$.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Seems bizarre to me. Maybe I don’t pay that close attention

This list includes only the P6 12 seeds that won at least one game, dating to 1985 (beginning of 64-team format) … there probably are more, don’t have time right now to check fully. (Some were auto-bid, some at-large)
… I also noted some that went beyond R32, but it's all off the top of my head, might have overlooked some older ones.

2021: Oregon State (reached Elite 8)
2019: Oregon (reached Sweet 16)
2013: Oregon (reached Sweet 16)
2013: Ole Miss
2013: California
2009: Wisconsin
2008: Villanova (reached Sweet 16)
2006: Texas A&M
2002: Missouri (reached Elite 8)
1998: Florida State
1996: Arkansas
1985: Kentucky

• Informative
Reactions: CoachHines3

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Be curious what JP‘s committee vote would be on a Drake matchup.

The basics, from tournament selection process:

At no point is a member present for conversation about or vote on a ballot including a team the individual represents as an athletics director or commissioner. Also, a committee member may not vote and shall not be present during any discussion regarding the selection or seeding of a team in which an immediate family member is a student-athlete on the team, is a member of the coaching staff, or is a senior athletics administrator of the institution. An athletics director or commissioner is permitted to answer general factual questions-- e.g., injury dates, player availability -- about teams in the conference the individual represents.

--> (my note) I guess people don't have to believe that it's followed, but if that's the case the entire process is a house of cards.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
no, not Rutgers....if not just for the sake of all the tournament fans watching. That game might be in the 40's.

Reminds me of a quip from Bilas last year, about the LSU-Iowa State first-round matchup (paraphrase): "They might have to repaint the rims after this one."

He isn't always amusing, but that was a fairly funny/accurate observation.

Reactions: cyclone1209

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Reminds me of a quip from Bilas last year, about the LSU-Iowa State first-round matchup (paraphrase): "They might have to repaint the rims after this one."

He isn't always amusing, but that was a fairly funny/accurate observation.
So tired of him. Thinks he is an investigative reporter and he is far from that.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Why?

Isn't that cowardly of ISU and Iowa?
Simply a matter of leverage and $$. UNI / Drake need and want that game much more than ISU / Iowa does.

Might be some small value for ISU / Iowa in replacing a NET 300ish opponent with a better team (UNI sucks this year however). Yes you risk loss, but you would probably have a sellout, and lose a small drag on SOS.