Brewfest 2013

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Thinking about going to Brewfest Saturday at Principle Park. Wanted to know what people who have been to this before think of it. How are the crowds/lines, is it worth the $25 ticket, etc.

http://brewfestdsm.com/

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Definitely, I've gone every year since inception and love it. Crowds/lines aren't too bad, and it generally flows really well, especially since it moved to Principal.

Yeah, the move to Principal Park means ample parking and regular restrooms (vs porta potties).

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Pass on Bacon Bowl. Barnstormers officially out of playoffs after last week. You can count on plenty of good scenery and a strong buzz at Brewfest. Gonna be a great weekend in DM.

"I've lost my desire to eat bacon & drink beer because my local arena FB team isn't in the playoff hunt."
-no one

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Went for the first time yesterday. I had a good time, but the format doesn't lend itself to coming away remembering which beers were good or bad. I only had two beers I didn't care for. Food vendors would have cleaned up. I thought I heard there would be come, but never saw them.

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
Went for the first time yesterday. I had a good time, but the format doesn't lend itself to coming away remembering which beers were good or bad. I only had two beers I didn't care for. Food vendors would have cleaned up. I thought I heard there would be come, but never saw them.

It was a good time and there were def some different beers. I dont know if you tried Ghost Face Killa or not but it was made with Habeneros, Jalepenos and chili peppers. Had quite the bite. As far as the foods concerened I only saw two concession stands open no vendors. I dont like how the lines flowed. It was a mess and I'd actually prefer it somewhere more spread out. Thank god it wasnt 100 degrees.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I really wish they'd move it to the Iowa Events Center. A baseball park isn't exactly the best format imo. The line system they had going on at Iowa Beverage Systems was ridiculous. Basically a conveyor belt from one brewer to the next. No thanks. I'd like to pick and choose.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
It was a good time and there were def some different beers. I dont know if you tried Ghost Face Killa or not but it was made with Habeneros, Jalepenos and chili peppers. Had quite the bite. As far as the foods concerened I only saw two concession stands open no vendors. I dont like how the lines flowed. It was a mess and I'd actually prefer it somewhere more spread out. Thank god it wasnt 100 degrees.

My friends tried that one...definitely different they said.

It was a little congested om some spots; lots of people.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Agreed with everything that has been said ... Seemed really conjested at places - ie - outfield bleachers stations - but was a good overall experience but im sure 'more' food options would have kept us there longer ...

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale

Last year in Milwaukee I sampled ghost pepper cheese. Staying away from anything with ghost in its name from now on!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron