Brian Kelly Gets It.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I freely admit that I preferred Chizik over Kelly and still believe Chizik was better hire at the time...by the way, AU might end up having a great season with seven defensive starters returning and a prototype QB coming in for the Malzahn offense...but I digress.

At any rate, Kelly was on ESPN getting interviewed and was talking about the "five minute plan"...he said you need to win and win now in college FB...a five year plan is no good. I really think this guy gets it and is going to have big success at ND.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I freely admit that I preferred Chizik over Kelly and still believe Chizik was better hire at the time...by the way, AU might end up having a great season with seven defensive starters returning and a prototype QB coming in for the Malzahn offense...but I digress.

At any rate, Kelly was on ESPN getting interviewed and was talking about the "five minute plan"...he said you need to win and win now in college FB...a five year plan is no good. I really think this guy gets it and is going to have big success at ND.

He's a sleeze. I just can't see anyone having sustained long term success at ND in this day and age.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
He's a sleeze. I just can't see anyone having sustained long term success at ND in this day and age.

No reason to think that Kelly wont. He has won, and won big every where he has coached. Hes a good one. He can change programs quickly, can recruit, and can coach. Lets see if he can get the same kind of athletes with the academic standards at ND, but I think he can.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I want to see what he can do with his players and not Mark Dantonio's players.

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas

ND has lost their "luster". IMO, They need to reinvent themselves to get that back. I believe that they need change to acomplish that, and I don`t mean changing coaches. The kids nowadays don`t care about ND history as much, so the product needs a whole new packaging and marketing campaign. This should include a conference move. They can recover and get back near the top faster than most because there are good pieces in place(followiing & TV), but change is vital.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
It was a big disappointment when we didn't hire him.
Why? He clearly would have bolted from Iowa State as soon as he could, just like he did to the Bearcats. Then to say that no one wants to play in Ames? Screw Brian Kelly.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It was a big disappointment when we didn't hire him.

I have to agree with this. While I didn't think the Chizik hire was a bad one when we made it, if we really had a shot at Kelly and didn't get the job done, then that was a miss. And a very bad one at that.

I think Kelly would have ultimately skipped town as well, but I think he would have won here first and left us in a better position than he found us.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
This guy made Cincinnati a winner. And a BIG winner at that. He will make ND elite again no doubt. It is also interesting to think about what he could have done for ISU....but that ship has sailed, and we have our own in CPR.

As for the conference thing, ND will NEVER join a conference. Would be a poor move on their part. They have a great NATIONAL TV deal in NBC. They get to sched. anyone they want...which constantly broadens their "brand." Didn't the Irish just add game with Texas over a 5 year period? Yeah, that won't happen if they go to the lowly Big Televen. They are the New York Yankees of the college football world. Either you love them or hate them. The only big thing I see for the Irish to "reinvent themselves" is to wear green unis again.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Didn't the Irish just add game with Texas over a 5 year period? Yeah, that won't happen if they go to the lowly Big Televen. .

Ohio State has had a non conference series with Texas and USC recently and now has Miami on the schedule. Penn State finally stepped up with Bama.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Why? He clearly would have bolted from Iowa State as soon as he could, just like he did to the Bearcats. Then to say that no one wants to play in Ames? Screw Brian Kelly.

Why? I take a proven head coach who knows how to rebuild programs and win there before he leaves over the "big splash" unproven coach every day of the week. And why do you think he took that jab at us after the job offer was withdrawn?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Notre Dumb sucks. Brian Kelly is a slimeball. Here is to Brian Kelly and Notre Dumb having a nice 4-8 season this year. :yes: I think that pretty much sums up this topic.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
Ohio State has had a non conference series with Texas and USC recently and now has Miami on the schedule. Penn State finally stepped up with Bama.

Yes but Notre Dame isn't going to give up their rivalry with USC just to play Texas, and I would highly doubt they aren't going to play both teams and then have to go into a full Big 10 season. I know they have loaded their schedule in the past, but that would be nuts.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
This guy made Cincinnati a winner. And a BIG winner at that. He will make ND elite again no doubt. It is also interesting to think about what he could have done for ISU....but that ship has sailed, and we have our own in CPR.

As for the conference thing, ND will NEVER join a conference. Would be a poor move on their part. They have a great NATIONAL TV deal in NBC. They get to sched. anyone they want...which constantly broadens their "brand." Didn't the Irish just add game with Texas over a 5 year period? Yeah, that won't happen if they go to the lowly Big Televen. They are the New York Yankees of the college football world. Either you love them or hate them. The only big thing I see for the Irish to "reinvent themselves" is to wear green unis again.

I think he'll win, in fact I hope he does but ND's academic standards are the single biggest difference from everywhere else he's been. It'll be interesting to see if this slows him down.

Fatty McFatterson recruited kids based on a desire to get into the pros which is a selfish goal. Kelly is recruiting kids based on desire to play for Notre Dame. ND has lost some (a lot) of it's cache the last decade but at schools like Heelan, Dowling and Xavier it's still typically #1.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Notre Dumb sucks. Brian Kelly is a slimeball. Here is to Brian Kelly and Notre Dumb having a nice 4-8 season this year. :yes: I think that pretty much sums up this topic.

I'm not denying this but what did he do, I honestly don't know.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes but Notre Dame isn't going to give up their rivalry with USC just to play Texas, and I would highly doubt they aren't going to play both teams and then have to go into a full Big 10 season. I know they have loaded their schedule in the past, but that would be nuts.

I understand that part but the post was said that ND won't give up their independence to join the B10 because they wouldn't be able to have a series with Texas. I just stated that Ohio State was still able to schedule Texas. I wouldn't be shocked if ND still wanted Texas and USC in the same year, remember we aren't too removed from them scheduling Michigan and USC in the same year and that's on par with Texas and USC.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City

This. Join a conference...and the USC game goes bye-bye. Not happening.