Brian Kelly...says "No Guarantee" to coaching bowl game..."evaluting" his future.

BCPanther

Jul 13, 2009
Waterloo
At least Brian Kelly is an honest guy. Most coaches would feed you a line of bull**** about how he loves Cincy and how he just couldn't imagine leaving for any job.

I really appreciate the sentiment that if ND offers, 'I'm Gone'...

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
This information was probably taken from his interview with Dan Patrick this morning. If you listened to the interview, he stated that he won't even guarentee that he will be coming home at night. He said he is not a man for guarentees.

He also said that we would know by saturday what his plans are.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
It was interesting that "The Mother Ship" used audio (during ESPNEWS) from an interview Brian Kelly did with The Dan Patrick Show today.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
This information was probably taken from his interview with Dan Patrick this morning. If you listened to the interview, he stated that he won't even guarentee that he will be coming home at night. He said he is not a man for guarentees.

He also said that we would know by saturday what his plans are.

Yes, that's what the link says.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Nothing but respect for how he is handling this........really classy IMO.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Nothing but respect for how he is handling this........really classy IMO.

Agree. If we ever lose CPR (god I hope not) I hope he handles it as honestly as Kelly has been handling this. Gives the current school a chance to fight for him, also doesn't mislead the fanbase or the team.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Wow, that would be pretty f-ing ****** of him to not coach the bowl game. How's that classy again?

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I commend him on his honesty. I still don't think I would hire him if I was ND though. He has a flashy offesnse, but still no defense. He gave up 44 points to a team coached by Dave Wandstedt. I don't see him doing any better than Weiss and they could have saved $18MM by keeping Charlie around.

They need to get Stoops or Meyer if they want to turn around ND.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
Wow, that would be pretty f-ing ****** of him to not coach the bowl game. How's that classy again?

How is he doing anything wrong at all? He is being honest about the whole situation. If he had a bad record at Cincinnati he would be fired and not kept around for his entire contract. If Notre Dame is going to offer him $15,000,000 I think they have the right to have some input on his start date. Just as Cincy has a right to a coach who is 100% dedicated to the task at hand.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It will be interesting to see what happens if he DOESN"T get the ND job now...
That's what I wonder. "Ok guys, I would have been gone to South Bend if they wanted me, but they didn't so here I am, now lets go win some football games!"

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
How is he doing anything wrong at all? He is being honest about the whole situation. If he had a bad record at Cincinnati he would be fired and not kept around for his entire contract. If Notre Dame is going to offer him $15,000,000 I think they have the right to have some input on his start date. Just as Cincy has a right to a coach who is 100% dedicated to the task at hand.
No reason to go public with the whole thing, talk to the AD in private, tell him you're interviewing and considering the job. What good does it do to tell fans and players right before a bowl game? I'd prefer if the coach of my team would be focused on his current job and not his possible next job.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
No reason to go public with the whole thing, talk to the AD in private, tell him you're interviewing and considering the job. What good does it do to tell fans and players right before a bowl game? I'd prefer if the coach of my team would be focused on his current job and not his possible next job.

I think its a bit naive to act like he was the one who "went public" when the media speculation has been rampant. Its a distraction either way whether he says no comment or I will talk to them. If I were a player I would want my coach to be honest about it. Its great to say you want your coach focused ONLY on his job only but its also a little unrealistic. If its all over the media that you are a candidate for a $15,000,000 payday and you are in one of the most public jobs in the country you are going to have to deal with it. No one on this board has any clue how its effecting him and how he is doing his job for better or worse.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The correct answer for the public should be that he is focused on Cincinnatti and winning a bowl game, whether it's true or not is irrelevent. You're going to tell me that if Paul Rhoads were a candidate you'd want him to tell us and the players and he might not coach and that he may leave for ND, as opposed to squashing the rumors and saying he's focused on winning the game? I just can't believe that.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
The correct answer for the public should be that he is focused on Cincinnatti and winning a bowl game, whether it's true or not is irrelevent. You're going to tell me that if Paul Rhoads were a candidate you'd want him to tell us and the players and he might not coach and that he may leave for ND, as opposed to squashing the rumors and saying he's focused on winning the game? I just can't believe that.

First, you need to read what Kelly actually said, he never said any of the things you are implying. Second, he is going to interview with Notre Dame, that is public knowledge, you can't just sweep that under the rug and pretend its not happening as that would be a worse way to handle it. Its going to get out one way or another, you wrongly assume it just doesn't have to. So I guess the real question is if you fault him for interviewing for Notre Dame this weekend or not, I don't but I can see why some might, I just don't think its a very realistic view. If Paul Rhaods won 34 games in a three year period with another game left and took us to 2 BCS bowls I MIGHT be able to live with him saying there are no guarantees in anything in life.

Last edited: