Brian Kelly, smartest guy in the world?

stepha4

May 3, 2006
I'm not positive, but I think Cincinnati let Pitt score the touchdown at the 1:45 mark? Pitt had second and two at about the seven.........Cincy had two timeouts, but Pitt had just gained eight yards on the running play on first down. It didn't look like a lot of resistance by Cincinnati on that second down rush. If Pitt would have gotten the first down, they kneel it and kick the field goal on the last play of the game to theoretically win. What did you think........did they let them score?

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
I'm not positive, but I think Cincinnati let Pitt score the touchdown at the 1:45 mark? Pitt had second and two at about the seven.........Cincy had two timeouts, but Pitt had just gained eight yards on the running play on first down. It didn't look like a lot of resistance by Cincinnati on that second down rush. If Pitt would have gotten the first down, they kneel it and kick the field goal on the last play of the game to theoretically win. What did you think........did they let them score?

Wouldn't be the first time, I remember Mike Holmgren doing this in Super Bowl XXXII, letting the Broncos score to give Green Bay a shot at a final drive.

Too bad it didn't work back then...

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I told my wife they should let them score. Did they? I don't know. That would be an awefully gutsy call as a coach.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
looked like he did to me

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm a believer in doing this, especially when you have a team like Cincy's. That said, I don't think that's what Kelly was doing.

I'll tell you why he IS the smartest man in the world. He's using the Notre Dame interest to get a MASSIVE extension from Cincy. I don't think he wants to deal with Notre Dame's BS (unrealistic expectations, high academic standards), but it's hard to turn that $ down. He's making Cincy dig into their pockets, so now he'll be filthy rich, and locked into a cush job. I think if Cincy matches or comes close to ND's offer, I think he stays.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I'm a believer in doing this, especially when you have a team like Cincy's. That said, I don't think that's what Kelly was doing.

I'll tell you why he IS the smartest man in the world. He's using the Notre Dame interest to get a MASSIVE extension from Cincy. I don't think he wants to deal with Notre Dame's BS (unrealistic expectations, high academic standards), but it's hard to turn that $ down. He's making Cincy dig into their pockets, so now he'll be filthy rich, and locked into a cush job. I think if Cincy matches or comes close to ND's offer, I think he stays.

Cincy in a million years will not be able to offer a quarter of what ND can, whether they beg, steal or borrow.