Bruegger's

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
When someone pays 10s of thousands of dollars to attend a large university in a small college town...they expect that town to remain completely unchanged for the rest of their lives and when it doesn't LET'S GET OUR OUTRAGE ON!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: down2cyz

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
When someone pays 10s of thousands of dollars to attend a large university in a small college town...they expect that town to remain completely unchanged for the rest of their lives and when it doesn't LET'S GET OUR OUTRAGE ON!!!

It feels like you had this comment holstered and then prematurely shot it into a situation where it doesn't fit at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Judoka and NWICY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It feels like you had this comment holstered and then prematurely shot it into a situation where it doesn't fit at all.

It was an attempt at humor, most likely a failed attempt given your feedback. Still these threads go down that path about half the time where the summary is that any change from the 4-5 year window each of us were at ISU is bad. We all feel it a little (because many of us loved those years) but it's not really rational.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
It was an attempt at humor, most likely a failed attempt given your feedback. Still these threads go down that path about half the time where the summary is that any change from the 4-5 year window each of us were at ISU is bad. We all feel it a little (because many of us loved those years) but it's not really rational.

That will only happen with places that have sentimental value. I'll admit, I'm still annoyed that People's closed, seeing that the location that killed half my brain cells is now a CVS drives me nuts. I could see some people getting up in arms if this was about, let's say, West Street Deli, but it isn't, it's some chain bagel restaurant that no one gives a **** about outside of the ownership. This has the same sting as a Taco Bell or Panera closing.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That will only happen with places that have sentimental value. I'll admit, I'm still annoyed that People's closed, seeing that the location that killed half my brain cells is now a CVS drives me nuts. I could see some people getting up in arms if this was about, let's say, West Street Deli, but it isn't, it's some chain bagel restaurant that no one gives a **** about outside of the ownership. This has the same sting as a Taco Bell or Panera closing.

Oh I agree...hence the failed attempt at humor.

For me that place was the original Battle's location. I ate there probably 3-4 times a week for my entire time in Ames. It was great and I could afford it at the time. Probably my favorite place in Ames those years other than the house I rented with friends, Hilton, JT and design college.

I didn't go to Peoples much until my last semester because I had some idea that it was just a Greek system hangout, but I loved it and felt like a moron for not going there earlier. It definitely was the best bar in Ames by far when I was at ISU.

Reactions: helechopper

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Well, damn. Guess I'd better get in there one last time for 'bagel Friday' for the office before the end of the month. We don't do that a lot, but it's always gone over well when bagels magically appear in the back room. :(

Reactions: NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Well, damn. Guess I'd better get in there one last time for 'bagel Friday' for the office before the end of the month. We don't do that a lot, but it's always gone over well when bagels magically appear in the back room. :(

Do you work at a video store?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Love Bruegger's. For an international college town like Ames, the lack of variety in restaurants/bakeries compared to cities of similar culture and scope amazes me.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

It's common to have posts/threads about eateries opening and closing in Ames. This is just another one of those.

I'm disappointed that a 20-year business, located on Lincoln Way, is closing. It has nothing to do with college memories.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Bruegger's was the best place in Ames to get a real bagel, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Panera and Starbucks bagels aren't as good, and neither are the local grocery stores or bakeries. We don't have Bruegger's in Washington state, so a good Bruegger's bagel is a highlight when we visit home. Now I guess I'll have to visit the in-laws in Coralville to get a bagel fix.