Ever score on an insurance company?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
If you "come out ahead" against an insurance company it's usually a hollow victory. At least in my case it was.

My wife started a new job and signed up for an aflak indemnity policy. Paid maybe $30 into that policy then was able to cash in on it for $10k. The downside? It was because she had cancer.

House always wins (big time) with insurance. Gotta pay for all of those commercials somehow (so that the balance sheet meets the criteria for not-for-profit).

Hope your wife is doing okay.

Not to sidetrack things, but it’s why I’ve never cared for some of the arguments around buying life insurance. “Winning” at life insurance usually means you died prematurely.

Insurance is a risk management tool. Not an investment or gambling. Ideally you never have to use it, but it’s important to have in place should the worst happen.

cowboycurtis

Jul 20, 2006
We had a storm go through but I didn’t think it was that bad. My insurance agent told me to turn it in anyway. Adjuster showed up and said the roof of my house had no damage. He asked if he could look at the shop roof. It’s a 72x80 steel building that I didn’t think would have any damage but he looked anyway. After looking at it he went to his car for about 15 minutes. I figured he would just leave after not finding anything. He steps out of his car and walks over and hands me a check for $30k. Says the shop needs a new roof. I was floored. Contractor that built the shop came out and looked at it and said it doesn’t need a new roof and keep the check. Had a little extra fun that summer with the money.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I didn’t really “score” but I was pretty concerned when my 2 year old pickup was struck by lightening in 2022 at the height of the vehicle market inflation. At the time I could have sold that one for more than a new one would cost because new ones were taking a year to come in. I had a number that I thought was fair market value and they were within $100. I didn’t ask but I still wonder if I just happened to do the same thing they do to value them. That said, my insurance agent went through a lot of work to get that thing totaled because I was pretty adamant I did not want it back. Had it gotten fixed, I was going to be in a bad spot with the options of selling someone a pickup that I knew could be a massive issue or having to go through that myself. I was very happy with the resolution.

Reactions: khardbored

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
With all the destruction from the storms lately we hear of all the disappointment when working with insurance companies but have you ever felt like you came out on top? My best was reshingling my home and another unattached garage after a hail claim. A buddy and I shingled as a side gig for years so I had all the tools (nail guns, compressor, toe holds ladders etc.) so I decided to tackle it myself as it was fall and he was busy harvesting. At age 65 it took some time to tear off 40 square from my cape cod with 10/12 pitch roof and tote 120 bundles up the ladder. I at times questioned my own sanity and my wife wanted me to hire someone to finish when I was only halfway done., but my pride wouldn't allow that to happen. End result I got a new roof done to my exacting standards and pocketed $17,000 dollars--the difference between the insurance check and the cost of materials. We bought some toys!
Got caught in a flood in ‘99 3 months after getting drivers license. Car w 300k miles totaled after being underwater for an hr+. Think I got 3.5k for it which felt like a huge win at the time.

Reactions: NWICY

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Insurance is a continuing scam perpetuated on the gullible and/or the defenseless
It's required if you want to finance a house or car, the law requires liability if you want to drive on the street, and good luck being able to afford a major medical procedure out of pocket if you need it, so I guess that puts most people in the defenseless category.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Bought a car for $500(? It was a while back) it burnt up 6 months later think the insurance company valued it at $1300, not a big W but still a W.

Reactions: wxman1

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Insurance is a continuing scam perpetuated on the gullible and/or the defenseless
Glad you can afford to lose $300k overnight if your house burns down, and you can rebuild from petty cash and its no impact to your finances. I thought i was doing well, but must be a pauper.

Some insurances are indeed, "not good value", but to absolute it like that... well that is just dumb.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They have very smart people they pay a lot of money to make sure they come out on top most of the time. They also have a lot of other well paid people working for them.

Even at the agent level, have you ever encountered a struggling agent?

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
It didn't start out that way. And there still is "value" in it for those that can afford the losses. But in its current state, it's absolutely a negative value proposition.
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "negative value proposition". Doesn't insurance have to be that on average you pay in more than you receive? If not where does the money to reimburse people with large losses come from?

Mar 21, 2021
I once executed a reverse score.
To save money, I dropped the comp/collision on the Mazda GLC I drove after graduating from ISU. Totaled it on a deer a week later. I can still in my mind's eye see that deer spinning through the air into the ditch.

FDISU

Sep 11, 2019
About 25 years ago my dad had an old grain bin damaged by hail. For some odd reason, the bin was made out of aluminum instead of galvanized steel. At that time, the price of aluminum was very high and dad had full replacement cost coverage on the bins. The insurance company paid him for the value of the aluminum, not for the cost of replacing the bin with a standard steel one. Since a dented grain bin still functions fine, he didn't replace it but got around $20K from insurance. I was a young married guy with a second child on the way so he gave me the $20k to buy a minivan. There wasn't any fraud involved -- this was just a lucky score.

Reactions: 2122

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
About 25 years ago my dad had an old grain bin damaged by hail. For some odd reason, the bin was made out of aluminum instead of galvanized steel. At that time, the price of aluminum was very high and dad had full replacement cost coverage on the bins. The insurance company paid him for the value of the aluminum, not for the cost of replacing the bin with a standard steel one. Since a dented grain bin still functions fine, he didn't replace it but got around $20K from insurance. I was a young married guy with a second child on the way so he gave me the $20k to buy a minivan. There wasn't any fraud involved -- this was just a lucky score.
My how times have changed. Young folks seem to shun minivans these days.

Reactions: FDISU

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
We had a storm go through but I didn’t think it was that bad. My insurance agent told me to turn it in anyway. Adjuster showed up and said the roof of my house had no damage. He asked if he could look at the shop roof. It’s a 72x80 steel building that I didn’t think would have any damage but he looked anyway. After looking at it he went to his car for about 15 minutes. I figured he would just leave after not finding anything. He steps out of his car and walks over and hands me a check for $30k. Says the shop needs a new roof. I was floored. Contractor that built the shop came out and looked at it and said it doesn’t need a new roof and keep the check. Had a little extra fun that summer with the money.

What was that, 40 years ago?? Can't fathom that happening today, especially with a larger insurance company.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Similar at work. Our building is basically a steel roof pole barn warehouse. Spring before the derecho, we had a hailstorm. Though it only caused cosmetic damage, it was still a coverable loss. They said we COULD pocket the money and not do the replacement, but then any additional future damages would NOT be covered. So we kind of had to do something.

The short version is we upgraded and put EPDM roof over the existing steel roof. Insurer was informed and 100% OK with it, they only paid for the equivalent of the steel replacement. We paid the overage, and after getting a discount from the roofer on the rubber... we basically got a EPDM roof over a solid steel roof for <$1.00 per square foot. It will last 50 years and never leak. I am confident the increased value of the building with the rubber roof is much more than our cash out of pocket. And it felt like such a waste to tear off all that good steel, throw it away, and then put on new steel - my inner tree-hugger didn't like that at all.

So I wouldn't say we "got one over" on the insurer, but I think the way it worked out was a massive win.

Reactions: 2122 and wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron