Bryan Peterson Impressed by Donovan Jackson

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's low if he wants to guarantee that he's a first round NBA player and leave early. He hasn't shown that level yet so my bet is he stays next season and continues to develop.

We have good group coming back. Jackson may not be better than the ones we already have, but he's been recruiting as a PG and I think that's how he'll be used if Monte stays. Cooke and Thomas will have first shot at the 2 guard.

Just for reference, 14 players averaged 20+ per game in the NCAA last year. I think 1 of them might have been a P5 player (Newbill from PSU). So if that's what the NBA is looking for they aren't going to find it.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Just for reference, 14 players averaged 20+ per game in the NCAA last year. I think 1 of them might have been a P5 player (Newbill from PSU). So if that's what the NBA is looking for they aren't going to find it.
I'm too lazy to look but what are the stats of 1st round NBA PG's in the latest drafts. I know Payne was 20ppg 6 APG

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'm too lazy to look but what are the stats of 1st round NBA PG's in the latest drafts. I know Payne was 20ppg 6 APG

But he's playing at MSU. He was a huge fish in a small pond. Monte isn't even the pre-season all-american on this team, there's not enough to go around. The NBA doesn't care about how much you score in college. They only care about how much they think you can score in the pros. That's why guys that light it up in college don't get drafted and guys that average 9ppg get taken in the lottery.

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
If throughout the season Monte can knock down the mid range jump shots, and get close to 18 ppg, 8 assists and keeps his turnovers low, he is gone. Its way early in the season, lets wait until we start playing the Big 12 schedule but I would think if we go far, and Monte improves that mid range..he gone

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
But he's playing at MSU. He was a huge fish in a small pond. Monte isn't even the pre-season all-american on this team, there's not enough to go around. The NBA doesn't care about how much you score in college. They only care about how much they think you can score in the pros. That's why guys that light it up in college don't get drafted and guys that average 9ppg get taken in the lottery.

That's only if they are averaging over 7APG or have other traits that stand out. Right now Monte is behind Kris Dunn, Melo Trimble, and Tyler Ulis although he can probably overtake Ulis if he can average 17-18 ppg.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Nothing against Morris, but a Chris Paul comparison is nowhere near fair for him.
I think I compared him more for the fact that Chris has a great handle and not obsessed with scoring. I do understand where you are coming from.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Monte is one of my all time favorites and one of the most underrated players in America in my opinion. But I would be really, really shocked if he leaves early. I just don't see it. Not sure how his game translates to the NBA.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Monte is one of my all time favorites and one of the most underrated players in America in my opinion. But I would be really, really shocked if he leaves early. I just don't see it. Not sure how his game translates to the NBA.

Rondo without as many rebounds?

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Rondo without as many rebounds?

I think that is as good of a comparison as there is (infinitely better than the earlier CP comparison), but the rebounding brings Rondo to another level as a PG and he's also been NBA all-defensive team on several occasions which also says a lot.

Not that draft boards mean everything, but Rondo was a borderline lottery pick after two seasons which is usually what kids leaving are looking for. I've seen boards with no mention of Monte and seen him as high as early second round. I just dont know if that's enough to entice him to leave early.

Also, if there is one position in college basketball that does not necessarily translate to the NBA it is the PG position. There have been countless elite college PGs that were never projected to be or actually picked early in the draft. NBA is all about up-side and elite athleticism anymore.

Again, I am as big of a Monte fan as there is and think he's capable of playing in the NBA, but would be surprised if he leaves early unless his stock skyrockets this year and he's a lock to get drafted late first round.

Just my two cents...and admittedly wishful thinking :)

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Monte is a better shooter, but not the outside threat many NBA point guards are. So they're similar in that sense and the fact that they are not the scorers many guards in the league are now.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
Monte is a better shooter, but not the outside threat many NBA point guards are. So they're similar in that sense and the fact that they are not the scorers many guards in the league are now.
I disagree. Monte has shown he can consistently hit a kid rang e and college 3, he just doesn't take many. Teams play off Rondo to the point of ridiculousness and dare him to shoot his team out of games.

Rondo was an amazing defender and rebounder in his prime , which Monte seems to be average on both, though good in the lanes. Both are phenomenal passers

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I've seen Jackson a couple of times this year and several last year, he's a more natural PG but he has a great looking shot and is super quick, both off the dribble and when making passes, he whips the ball around. When he and Monte are on the floor at the same time, we won't have a '2', we'll just have 2 PG's. IMO if our young big guys come along next year, our lineup could look a lot like the UCONN team that knocked us out of the sweet 16 a few years back, Napier and Boatwright were both combo type of PG's and the supporting cast were mainly just long athletic guys who knocked down timely shots...

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
I've seen Jackson a couple of times this year and several last year, he's a more natural PG but he has a great looking shot and is super quick, both off the dribble and when making passes, he whips the ball around. When he and Monte are on the floor at the same time, we won't have a '2', we'll just have 2 PG's. IMO if our young big guys come along next year, our lineup could look a lot like the UCONN team that knocked us out of the sweet 16 a few years back, Napier and Boatwright were both combo type of PG's and the supporting cast were mainly just long athletic guys who knocked down timely shots...
The thing is we don't need 2 PG's at the same time if Monte stays. We have some really good 2 guard/combos that are ready to take more floor time. We do need a backup pg and Jackson would fill that slot well. In fact we'll have near two PG's when Cooke and Monte are on the floor at the same time.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The thing is we don't need 2 PG's at the same time if Monte stays. We have some really good 2 guard/combos that are ready to take more floor time. We do need a backup pg and Jackson would fill that slot well. In fact we'll have near two PG's when Cooke and Monte are on the floor at the same time.

We don't need 2 this year but we have them in Morris and Niang, based on what we've seen from Cooke and Jackson, I would guess Hallice will be coming off the bench next season as well. ISU fans are going to be impressed with Jackson, he's a very smart player, I think he'll be too good to be coming off the bench. I see the starters as Morris, Jackson, Thomas, Malou and whichever young big plays the best defense.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
We don't need 2 this year but we have them in Morris and Niang, based on what we've seen from Cooke and Jackson, I would guess Hallice will be coming off the bench next season as well. ISU fans are going to be impressed with Jackson, he's a very smart player, I think he'll be too good to be coming off the bench. I see the starters as Morris, Jackson, Thomas, Malou and whichever young big plays the best defense.
I'll disagree and I think Burton starts next year and we keep a pg ready when Monte sits. Either way not a bad option either way.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I'll disagree and I think Burton starts next year and we keep a pg ready when Monte sits. Either way not a bad option either way.

Burton definitely starts, though I think it'll be at forward where he's strong enough to overcome the lack of height. The other two to ink in are Malou and Monte (if he stays), and Jackson if Monte doesn't.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Burton definitely starts, though I think it'll be at forward where he's strong enough to overcome the lack of height. The other two to ink in are Malou and Monte (if he stays), and Jackson if Monte doesn't.
yeah no. Burton is more of a guard. Malou will probably have to start at the 4 with one of the young posts opposite him. I'll even go so far as to say if Burton doesn't start at the 3, he'll be coming off the bench again.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
If Morris isn't an NBA player after this season, he probably won't be after next year either. Playing with this great team, and going as a junior might be his best shot. And he might just be ready to start his pro career in Europe or DLeague if he isn't ready for the NBA.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron