Butler and DM: Back for 2019?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm bored so I went through a half dozen NFL mock drafts and only a couple of them had either of these guys going in the first 3 rounds. Some had them both left out entirely (assuming because they're juniors?)
I'm starting to feel like they are not locks to be drafted high this year. Part of me feels this way because last year I had my cardinal colored glasses on and thought Lazard was a lock to be drafted-- even in the first 4 rounds. Montgomery probably has a better chance, but he's not tearing it up statistically this season so I'm not sure how that will affect his draft status. Obviously we think these two have NFL talent, but I can't tell if the rest of the country feels that way.

Anyway, in 2019 with these two guys we're likely a top 15 team to start the season and a dark horse (or better) to win the conference championship. Could potentially be the best Cyclone team ever considering what we're bringing back. With the emergence of B Purdy, does that sway Butler's decision to stay put? Do you think these guys will be motivated to come back and win a conference championship?

I'm not saying what they should do, because getting paid is very important, but I think the team we have coming back could convince these guys to stay... and it would set us up for a monumental season next year.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think Butler will go. Montgomery, I dunno. I have a feeling he will return.

I tend to agree that DM is more likely to come back than Butler, because he has had a pretty crappy year compared to what most were expecting. Getting hurt the first play from scrimmage after working that hard had to be disheartening. He has only looked like his old self in a couple games this year. Butler could honestly use another year in college. Just does not seem to make the easy catches very well. Can't blame either one of them for going if they are told they have a good chance to get drafted high.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I think Butler’s stock is higher than Montgomery’s right now. Not sure if either are high enough to warrant leaving early.

• Optimistic
Reactions: MrApathy

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We can replace DM's production with the committee of backs and improved OL we'll have next year, but his leadership will be missed greatly. Butler is a bigger commodity. Losing him and Eaton are two big targets we have enjoyed this season

Last edited:

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Remember when Lazard was thought to be considering the draft after his junior year?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
DM. Probably gone. After tonight, the aggressive charge to be in (any) fight, putting his tweet (above his coach) out there, I see his interest is not in being a team (college) player. Shocking, actually.

Wow. What a garbage post.

If money is going to be there and it's a good fit they should both go. Both WR and RB careers average less than 4 years or something so get it while you can.

If one or the other decides to return, fantastic.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
For their sake I hope they get told they will be a high round draft pick. They go on to earn a living and become great ISU to the NFL success stories.

Getting one or both back would be a big bonus for next year. Montgomery's leadership in the RB room would be huge with the two freshman coming in. Get the young pups grounded and headed in the right direction for the future.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Butler is better than Lazard.

Not sure about that. Butler is faster, more athletic and can make the circus catch. But he has missed a lot of passes this year, many that hit him right at chest level, and a lot that were above his head but still catchable. Nobody catches everything, but I remember Lazard as being a lot more reliable with the everyday pitch and catch. Hakeem needs to develop that skill yet.

• Disagree
Reactions: 83cy

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Butler has played his way into a good early draft pick and even though DM doesn’t have the stats coaches notice him. They are NFL scouts and realize our OL isn’t the best. They can see DMs talent. I think he goes because the shelf life is short on the majority of RB nowadays. That’s college we get the good ones for 3 instead of 4. Hope they both have success Pro careers bringing more eyes to the program we are building.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I think their combine stats will be a big mover either way. If Butler or DM run sub 4.5s they're both gone.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not sure about that. Butler is faster, more athletic and can make the circus catch. But he has missed a lot of passes this year, many that hit him right at chest level, and a lot that were above his head but still catchable. Nobody catches everything, but I remember Lazard as being a lot more reliable with the everyday pitch and catch. Hakeem needs to develop that skill yet.

Until last season, how you described Butler is how they described Lazard's first three years. Allen dropped a ton of easy catches.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

Lazard dropped a lot of easy balls as well. Butler is better and more skilled. Nothing against Lazard.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron