Buying Your Own Health Insurance in Iowa

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
If you kept reading my post then you'd know that I seriously answered the question.

I do have pre-existing conditions that I can't do much about besides regular checkups, medications, and tests. You can even read about a classic CF thread about colonoscopies if you want some more detail ;)

**** happens and I obviously hope everyone has good health as best as they can and if you can't see that it was a clear joke followed by a serious followup then God speed my friend.
My apologies to you. I skimmed through the thread and must have missed your followup.

Pre-existing conditions.......are just not fun........

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So you claim I am wrong then provide nothing that would allude to the proper place or why it is wrong. Glad to see you haven't changed at all Stormin

You are wrong......again. Current Administration messed with reimbursements to health insurance companies a while back. Risk Corridor payments. Health Insurance Companies responded in their pricing on Exchange Policies.

It is called Silver Loading.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-cheaper-health-plans-off-insurance-exchanges
The guidance is from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which oversees the insurance marketplaces set up by the Affordable Care Act. CMS is encouraging states to allow the sale of plans outside of those exchanges that don't incorporate a surcharge insurers started tacking on last year.

Many insurers added the premium surcharges last fall to plans sold on the individual market. It was a response to the Trump administration's announcement that it would no longer pay the companies for the "cost-sharing reduction" subsidies required under the health law. The subsidies help cover deductibles and other out-of-pocket costs for lower-income consumers who buy marketplace plans.

People who qualified for federal premium subsidies — those with incomes up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level (about $48,000 for one person or $100,000 for a family of four) — were shielded from the surcharge because their subsidies increased to cover the cost.

But people with higher incomes faced higher premiums. The new guidance is geared to help them.

DJSteve

Apr 29, 2010
Ames
www.stevesmobilemusic.com
I think your best bet would be to talk to an independent insurance agent (or ideally 2-3) that reps multiple companies and see what they can come up with. If you're seriously considering a job change, I think it would be worth having hard numbers, and actual information from someone in the industry who might know what they're talking about. Farm Bureau might also be worth talking to, depending on your opinion of them, but they only sell their own stuff.

I've been buying my own since 2007, and am still on a grandfathered non-compliant HSA plan. I've checked rates on the exchange periodically and those plans have always been way higher than what I have now; I've heard some really ridiculous numbers for family plans. I'm relatively healthy so my old policy generally works OK for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Stormin

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
If you kept reading my post then you'd know that I seriously answered the question.

I do have pre-existing conditions that I can't do much about besides regular checkups, medications, and tests. You can even read about a classic CF thread about colonoscopies if you want some more detail ;)

**** happens and I obviously hope everyone has good health as best as they can and if you can't see that it was a clear joke followed by a serious followup then God speed my friend.

I knew from the get-go it was sarcasm / just being funny. I guess I have a good sarcasm detector? (Or better than some at least?) No harm done. :D

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Are you talking about tax deductibility? Because if you are talking about LLC formation to get a private health insurance company discount that does not necessarily make sense.

If you have an LLC (or any formal business) and pay yourself a wage/salary an insurance agent can get you into a Group plan even if you are the only employee. This can be a substantial cost savings on the premiums. I have a few clients who have done this.

For my car dealership client as an example it cut his premium cost in half and he is not a healthy guy.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
This spring we went into a situation where we needed to get our own insurance. Normally we would have had the policy in spouse's name and me as a dependent. He needed the policy for about six months and I needed it longer so it had to go in my name to get the best deal. He also had more health issues and putting me as the policy owner saved us that way too.