Buying Your Own Health Insurance in Iowa

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Stormin I am not sure what your response has to to with what I typed. My response didn't mention subsidies at all. I was talking about the full actual cost for insurance. I was not trying to compare subsidized health plans with none subsidized group plans.

I was just simply stating it is cheaper to get insurance via a single person group plan than it is through the health care exchange.

If you aren’t getting subsidies there is no reason to use the Exchange. And generally Exchange Policies are higher. Possibly costlier policy applicants on the Exchange. Exchange Policies are Companies that have made decisions to be on the Exchange and are private companies responsible for their own pricing. Not every company is on the Exchange.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
If you aren’t getting subsidies there is no reason to use the Exchange. And generally Exchange Policies are higher. Possibly costlier policy applicants on the Exchange. Exchange Policies are Companies that have made decisions to be on the Exchange and are private companies responsible for their own pricing. Not every company is on the Exchange.

So where do people without employer provided plans shop for individual health insurance policies? It was my understanding (which may be wrong) that there is not another avenue to receive a better price/quote for someone looking to purchase an individual plan for themselves or their family.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
So where do people without employer provided plans shop for individual health insurance policies? It was my understanding (which may be wrong) that there is not another avenue to receive a better price/quote for someone looking to purchase an individual plan for themselves or their family.

You are wrong. Policies offered on the Exchange are there mostly for the administration of subsidies. But you were wrong to think they were the best deal automatically.

• Funny
Reactions: criticalobserver

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
You are wrong. Policies offered on the Exchange are there mostly for the administration of subsidies. But you were wrong to think they were the best deal automatically.

So you claim I am wrong then provide nothing that would allude to the proper place or why it is wrong. Glad to see you haven't changed at all Stormin

• Winner
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
To summarize my original post --- I'm mostly just looking for examples (specific figures) for people who have bought their own insurance on the exchange in Iowa. I'm asking for this because it will help me with price comparison (ie, how much "extra money" I need to earn to offset my current insurance coverage.) Thanks.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
To summarize my original post --- I'm mostly just looking for examples (specific figures) for people who have bought their own insurance on the exchange in Iowa. I'm asking for this because it will help me with price comparison (ie, how much "extra money" I need to earn to offset my current insurance coverage.) Thanks.

It depends on coverage offered by your employer or spouse's employer.
For example, there was a sweet plan I found on the Exchange, but some rule changed before I signed up, which ruled me out.
Essentially, since my wife's employer offered a plan that met the barest bones minimum, no subsidies available. At that point, plan on $1000 or more each month for the coverage.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You can't say that! How do you know if their health situation is self made or genetic!

I have type 1 diabetes, my medicine without insurance would cost me $2200 just for my fast acting insulin per month, and I still have other medication and doctor appointments I need to have or else I would die.

So tell me how I can get healthy, I would really like to know!

Pretty sure you missed the sarcasm of the post CW needs to bring back pirate jimlad.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

I believe you can get estimated premiums here: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/. It’s not super straightforward, but I’ve used it in the past for the same purposes. If you don’t qualify for subsidies, Stormin is right that it is worth some phone calls to see if you can get a better deal on a non-exchange plan.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
All I know is every farmer around here formed an LLC last winter for health insurance purposes. Mine is through an off farm job so I can’t speak from experience on it.

It was due to deductibility of health insurance. Need a form of a Corp to have a flex plan, can’t do it as self employed. All self employed had to do something to take it off taxes like everyone else. I have a Corp so it goes through that.

• Informative
Reactions: DeereClone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is not funny. At some point, we all are going to have some kind of pre-existing condition. Most of the time we cannot do anything about it.

Your post was arrogant and pathetic.

If you kept reading my post then you'd know that I seriously answered the question.

I do have pre-existing conditions that I can't do much about besides regular checkups, medications, and tests. You can even read about a classic CF thread about colonoscopies if you want some more detail ;)

**** happens and I obviously hope everyone has good health as best as they can and if you can't see that it was a clear joke followed by a serious followup then God speed my friend.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah. The program I looked at needed grad college approval. That's a wretched hive of scum and villainy to deal with in general.

Damn not for me I was thinking a nice 200 level general ed type class, learn something but not too hard.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron