Buying Your Own Health Insurance in Iowa

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
UofI students get access to great health insurance. We take a one credit online class every 12 months. Great plan, and deductibles. Details are online over there. Premiums are $200 individual and $1,000 for family.

We save a **** ton of money doing that, and have actual insurance not the watered down, no coverage or stupid high deductible plans.

University of Iowa. So do the taxpayers of Iowa subsidize that program?

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
For my small business I have a 1 person group plan which I have used for quite some time. The rates I am offered for these plans are much better than I have seen from the exchange web site.

That is likely why a lot of farmers have recently made the change. I have had my 1 person group plan for 4 or 5 years now though, so I am not sure what may have changed recently.

Exchange site premiums based on income and age. So rates are determined by your income. Perhaps your income is too large to get a subsidy.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Is your new policy ACA Compliant? Short term policies do not have to cover essential benefits. You might not have the coverage you might think you have.

No idea. It covered the wellness checks and shots for our newborn. Copay only applies to each person once a month or something like that. Deductible and max out of pocket were the same as my normal insurance.

Cobra from my previous job was like 1600 per month. This was 283.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
No idea. It covered the wellness checks and shots for our newborn. Copay only applies to each person once a month or something like that. Deductible and max out of pocket were the same as my normal insurance.

Cobra from my previous job was like 1600 per month. This was 283.

Be careful. You might just have very limited coverage. And limited benefits. Most likely not ACA compliant if it was not purchased on Exchange and subsidies given to get that premium.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Be careful. You might just have very limited coverage. And limited benefits. Most likely not ACA compliant if it was not purchased on Exchange and subsidies given to get that premium.

Nobody cares about the ACA compliance. Since they dropped the fines.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You can't say that! How do you know if their health situation is self made or genetic!

I have type 1 diabetes, my medicine without insurance would cost me $2200 just for my fast acting insulin per month, and I still have other medication and doctor appointments I need to have or else I would die.

So tell me how I can get healthy, I would really like to know!

I was trying to be extra sarcastic there. One more reason we need the jimlad back.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
UofI students get access to great health insurance. We take a one credit online class every 12 months. Great plan, and deductibles. Details are online over there. Premiums are $200 individual and $1,000 for family.

We save a **** ton of money doing that, and have actual insurance not the watered down, no coverage or stupid high deductible plans.

Don't believe that works at ISU. Need to be classified as a full-time student last I looked.

So, for the OP, a non-sarcastic "Good luck," because buying insurance is tough.

Reactions: khardbored

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
You had no control over it. That is why his reasoning is BS. We need coverage for pre-existing conditions. And we need pooling of higher cost people like yourself to not be discriminated against. Sure, a healthy individual will pay higher premiums as a result of not discriminating. But leaving it up to private health insurance companies will just maximize premiums while minimizing benefits paid and coverage. ACA actually caps profits for health insurance companies. Eliminate ACA then the sky is the limit for premiums. And there will be no coverage for pre-existing conditions. You would really be screwed.

If people that DO have control over it would manage their health better then we could have both. Coverage for pre-existing conditions and healthy folks like myself wouldn’t have to pay more.
Problem is most folks don’t give a **** about their health.

• Funny
Reactions: besserheimerphat

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

Damn.
We don't offer any benefits to our adjuncts, even if they teach 15 credits (half time for us, full amount for them) a year.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, let's face it, the adjunct approach as it's currently used might as well be criminal.
Agreed.
Had I started off in the education field in IA, rather than WI, I would have likely left it.
At least teaching at a 50% load in the pubic schools in WI gets you benefits.
Not sure how to improve this situation, but it's piquing my interest now.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
As long as there's cheap, replaceable teaching labor, I don't see anything changing it.
The only way I see it changing is those in power (in unions) standing up for those who don't.
I'm just starting to get involved, so I'm not sure how big the battle is.
You're right regarding teaching labor. That, along with reduction in funding, are likely the biggest obstacles.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The only way I see it changing is those in power (in unions) standing up for those who don't.
I'm just starting to get involved, so I'm not sure how big the battle is.
You're right regarding teaching labor. That, along with reduction in funding, are likely the biggest obstacles.

I'd add an obsession with advertising lowest costs without pointing out how that affects things.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Exchange site premiums based on income and age. So rates are determined by your income. Perhaps your income is too large to get a subsidy.

Stormin I am not sure what your response has to to with what I typed. My response didn't mention subsidies at all. I was talking about the full actual cost for insurance. I was not trying to compare subsidized health plans with none subsidized group plans.

I was just simply stating it is cheaper to get insurance via a single person group plan than it is through the health care exchange.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt