Caden Matson Commits!

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
PWO question for the folks who follow recruiting closely: Does our current staff not make PWO offers before the December signing day? I saw around the December signing day that Iowa put out a list of PWO signings (are there formal signings for PWO?) on Twitter. I don't recall seeing one for ISU, but could've missed it...just seen the handful of guys announcing their PWO commitments the last couple weeks for us. All signees are a crapshoot, generally odds of success increasing from WO to PWO to Scholarship of course, but it would be a bummer to lose some [potentially big-impact] in-state PWO guys over the years to an annual opponent because they put more emphasis on recruiting those guys for December signing vs picking up guys in February who had been holding out for full-ride scholarships elsewhere. I realize it's a small number of guys and the percent who actually make a big impact is even smaller but just curious.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
PWO question for the folks who follow recruiting closely: Does our current staff not make PWO offers before the December signing day? I saw around the December signing day that Iowa put out a list of PWO signings (are there formal signings for PWO?) on Twitter. I don't recall seeing one for ISU, but could've missed it...just seen the handful of guys announcing their PWO commitments the last couple weeks for us. All signees are a crapshoot, generally odds of success increasing from WO to PWO to Scholarship of course, but it would be a bummer to lose some [potentially big-impact] in-state PWO guys over the years to an annual opponent because they put more emphasis on recruiting those guys for December signing vs picking up guys in February who had been holding out for full-ride scholarships elsewhere. I realize it's a small number of guys and the percent who actually make a big impact is even smaller but just curious.
Not an expert but this can be pretty fluid. I remember Brandon Meyers from PCM had a PWO offer from Iowa and was set to take a scholarship from UNI. Eleventh hour something fell through and Iowa offered him a full ride. So some of those PWOs aren't announced until schools know who's getting a full ride.

Reactions: clonebb

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins

I don't know about specific program or staff things. But my understanding as far as the bolded question is that there's nothing formal or official for preferred walk-ons. The letter of intent that is submitted during signing periods is specifically about scholarships. I don't think Iowa themselves could have put out a list of PWOs because of recruiting rules? But maybe you just saw a recruiting service article or something.

I assume that the staff isn't doing anything that would put them at a disadvantage relative to other programs, but I guess I don't know why all of the PWO commits have been in the past few weeks.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I don't know about specific program or staff things. But my understanding as far as the bolded question is that there's nothing formal or official for preferred walk-ons. The letter of intent that is submitted during signing periods is specifically about scholarships. I don't think Iowa themselves could have put out a list of PWOs because of recruiting rules? But maybe you just saw a recruiting service article or something.

I assume that the staff isn't doing anything that would put them at a disadvantage relative to other programs, but I guess I don't know why all of the PWO commits have been in the past few weeks.

this is what i was referencing:

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Reactions: BikeSkiClone

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
He completed 69 percent of his passes, threw for 2,600 yards, 33 TDs and 10 INTs and rushed for 1,600 yards and 16 more TDs. Also played DB.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RezClone and Acylum

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
This kid is a tough little athlete. Humboldt had had its share of raw athletes over the last 15-20 years, better than most communities its size.

Matson might be the best pure athlete of the bunch from a football perspective. Similar to a Levi Peters type. I fully expect him to be a factor on special teams at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: Aclone