Caleb Grill Appreciation Thread

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just wanted to make sure his senior season isn't going unnoticed. I thought during the first three games against low-majors Caleb was chucking dumb shots and we were in for a long year. Since the PKI he's shooting 48% from 3, while being one of our best defenders. It seems he's taking less dumb shots and really letting the game come to him. Hope the grill stays lit all year!
He's 25 of 50 from 3 since the UNC game. He is shooting with a lot of confidence. Fun to see.

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
When Caleb has games where he's hitting multiple threes, it's REALLY good...because he already plays great defense so it's even better when he's feeling it on offense. Hope he continues to shine through conference play

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One thing to keep in mind about Grill is that he was playing football, baseball, running track. While he did play AAU, he has played a hell of a lot less basketball than the typical incoming freshman these days. He certainly has a long way to go to be starter-level on a good power conference team, but he has a high ceiling.
Suck it losers. Here’s what I said three years ago. Granted I thought Leech would pan out too.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
His consistency shooting absolutely transforms this team on offense. And he works so hard on defense and rebounding. It isn't like he half asses on other areas of the game and just floats around the 3 pt line looking for a good shot.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
There were some plays on D last night where he just made OU look silly. I can only imagine the defensive stopper and intimidating player he could be next year if he takes the extra year.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Last year, he was a good player. Got out of position once in awhile on D and had a good shooting night every couple of games. This year, he's a plus defender, great rebounder as a wing, and has become much more consistent from 3. I agree that he may well be team MVP.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Last year, he was a good player. Got out of position once in awhile on D and had a good shooting night every couple of games. This year, he's a plus defender, great rebounder as a wing, and has become much more consistent from 3. I agree that he may well be team MVP.
He struggled a lot on defense last year. This year he has been much better.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I didn't have very high hopes but his shot selection has been better, his confidence appears to be growing, and his effort on the floor is unmatched. I think it's that effort in every facet of the game that helps define this team. It's infectious and everyone is playing their ass off.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
I just wanted to make sure his senior season isn't going unnoticed. I thought during the first three games against low-majors Caleb was chucking dumb shots and we were in for a long year. Since the PKI he's shooting 48% from 3, while being one of our best defenders. It seems he's taking less dumb shots and really letting the game come to him. Hope the grill stays lit all year!
I have always loved his energy/effort and was very much "meh" on his offense, but his shot selection and offense has been great too. He'll be remembered as a great cyclone.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I have 0 insider info but how much he loves Otz and how little NBA potential he has I'd guess it's at least 50/50
Yeah, that documentary deal they put out a few days ago he commented on he and Otz' relationship.

My guess is their relationship will allow them to have a very open/honest "what is best for all" type of discussion (but also could see him coming back to be with Otz one more year in whatever role Otz would need).

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I bagged on Grill frequently up until this season, mostly in defiance of those who swore he was the best thing since sliced bread before he did anything to deserve the hype. I love him now. Seems like he is probably the 3rd or even 2nd most important player on the team currently. He is just flying around out there like a wild man, scrapping after loose balls, frequently leading the team in rebounding as a 6'3'' white boy, and shooting lights out as of late.

Iowa State finally has their own version of Phil Forte (aka short annoying white guy).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron