Caleb Grill is Returning to Iowa State

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Holy s***.

“Still, he didn’t want to spend another year in Las Vegas. Especially not with Otzelberger by his side.

“I kind of want to get out of here,” Grill said. “We don’t really live in the nicest area of Vegas and it’s 18 hours away from home. The fan support out here is also brutal. I get ruthless (direct messages) from fans all the time that expect a little too much of us because they went to the Final Four in the 90s. They still expect that every year. People, in general, are just rude out here.””

I can't read the article due to the account/paywall, but holy sh*t is that really his direct quote? Kudos to Grill. You don't hear players getting too candid like that very often, even if coming from problematic situations. I won't pretend ISU's fanbase is faultless in that regard, but the harassment must have been pretty incessant to publicly vent like this. Welcome back to Ames, man. Glad to have you.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Unless one of the last two spots is a HM starting caliber wing, Grill is starting next November. I think the lineup will change as the season goes but with the roster right now, I'd say it's

Hunter
Kalscheur
Grill
Hinson
Conditt

I don't have Foster starting yet, he's only played 55 minutes of college ball and he wasn't quite ready to play the 5 in the big 12. I think he's starting by the end of the year but GC starts in the opener.

As the roster sits now your assumption of Grill is viable. Personally I think it would be Kunc. However, I'm banking on this being a mute point because our 5th starter has yet to comitt

At the 5 Foster is the guy that gives us an advantage. Currently not a done deal but his development is a major factor in our success.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I can't read the article due to the account/paywall, but holy sh*t is that really his direct quote? Kudos to Grill. You don't hear players getting too candid like that very often, even if coming from problematic situations. I won't pretend ISU's fanbase is faultless in that regard, but the harassment must have been pretty incessant to publicly vent like this. Welcome back to Ames, man. Glad to have you.
Yeah that was a direct quote.. Pretty crazy that that’s how he was treated.

Cyclone Rebel

Apr 28, 2017
Yeah that was a direct quote.. Pretty crazy that that’s how he was treated.

In all fairness that was probably 2 or 3 idiots that acted that way, and sent repeated messages. There's no condoning that. But from what I saw, most of the fan base here in Vegas was supportive of Caleb, and liked his all out effort. It's too bad that he never got to play in front of fans, where he could see the support he would've gotten.

With that said, let's just say Caleb will likely not be welcomed back to Vegas, lol, Nothing like burning a bridge on your way out.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
In all fairness that was probably 2 or 3 idiots that acted that way, and sent repeated messages. There's no condoning that. But from what I saw, most of the fan base here in Vegas was supportive of Caleb, and liked his all out effort. It's too bad that he never got to play in front of fans, where he could see the support he would've gotten.

With that said, let's just say Caleb will likely not be welcomed back to Vegas, lol, Nothing like burning a bridge on your way out.
I honestly think Caleb could care less what UNLV fans think of him now lol.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Why are people high on Grill coming back?

Average player on a mid-major team just doesn't get me excited, maybe I'm the exception.
I will take a stab at this. Personally, I am not “high” on him returning but I am certainly OK with it. Originally, I thought he would be a decent rotational player by his junior year. That aside, I like him because he plays 100% every minute on the court. I think his presence could have a positive overall influence on the team. Frankly, I thought this past year the team did not display the effort necessary to win a game, especially on defense. Grill will play hard to the best of his ability.

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore

Average player on a mid-major team just doesn't get me excited, maybe I'm the exception.
I’m not expecting a lot from him this year but he does fill a need. I’m also excited about his potential. He’s super athletic and works hard. Once his 3 point shot develops, watch out.

People have said he’s like a more athletic Matt Thomas. That’s high praise, but I don’t think it’s too far off.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclad and Macloney

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Shot 55% from the 2 and 34% from the 3, rebounded well for a guard his size, didn’t turn the ball over often.

It’s not that people (including me) think he’s going to be some stud, it’s more that he did improve from his freshman season and he’s a very hard worker on the defensive end, something we lacked last year. He would provide good bench depth at the 2/3 position and also handled some ball handling duties last year for TJ.

Bubba Hubba

Dec 19, 2007

I forget the game, but I remember Caleb blocking a layup in the closing seconds to preserve an ISU win in his freshman year. From where I sit, I can get excited about a tough, gritty defensive player who also showed some potential on the offensive end.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I appreciate the responses and agree that he could be a nice piece player, but I also think that there are several guys exactly like him available. I understand that he's a TJ guy and that those kind of relationships are important though. I'm fine with it, but it just doesn't excite me at all, but neither did the TJ hire. I will say that with some of TJ's other signings I am coming around.

Reactions: Statefan10

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think it is pretty clear Grill is going to need a waiver at this point.

Which is possible. He's going to have a case.

-- coach left me/following that coach/I'm not being disloyal, I'm being very loyal
-- going back to the school I started at with the full intent to graduate from there
-- COVID year everything sucks come on man give me a break
-- UNLV fans treated me badly (not sure if that matters but hey every little bit helps)

That might be "extraordinary circumstances" enough for a waiver.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
This makes his comments about Vegas and fans seem unwise. Although there were also some comments about ISU when he left.

Always tell my sons not to burn any bridges and not about to do it for them as their mom.
Why would that matter? It doesn’t mean he can’t transfer.. Just that there’s a chance he may not be eligible at ISU next year.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Why would that matter? It doesn’t mean he can’t transfer.. Just that there’s a chance he may not be eligible at ISU next year.

It eliminates an option. Not sure who all would want him at this point in process? Mad Fran would be worse than Vegas fans griping at him

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It eliminates an option. Not sure who all would want him at this point in process? Mad Fran would be worse than Vegas fans griping at him
I think you’re confused.. He’s 100% coming to Iowa State. He might have to sit out next year (at Iowa State). He’d be a practice player for us, would be fully enrolled at Iowa State, will be on the bench in Hilton, but he wouldn’t be able to suit up and play.