Caleb Grill's status unknown for Tuesday vs. Kansas State

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I've said all along that until the game is played, I - unlike everyone here, it seems - I have no clue how good or bad these teams are on a relative basis. We can bisect all that tomorrow when the facts are known.
What I learned is that while Nowell takes a lot of shots, and makes a lot of them, some of them were very bad shots. Shooting 56% from 3 should win you a lot of those games, though, good lord.

I learned the Caleb Grill played within his injured means and did exactly what was necessary to win.

I learned that Massoud doesn't miss when unguarded.

I also learned that KSU has a rebounding problem. ISU had a ton of 2nd chance points and O-Reb's.

Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
What I learned is that while Nowell takes a lot of shots, and makes a lot of them, some of them were very bad shots. Shooting 56% from 3 should win you a lot of those games, though, good lord.

I learned the Caleb Grill played within his injured means and did exactly what was necessary to win.

I learned that Massoud doesn't miss when unguarded.

I also learned that KSU has a rebounding problem. ISU had a ton of 2nd chance points and O-Reb's.

That fast break 3 when he had an easy layup was one of the stupidest shots I've ever seen.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That fast break 3 when he had an easy layup was one of the stupidest shots I've ever seen.
I think our defense gets credit for that and his 30' attempt too. Has to be frustrating with all the switching and effective help. He and Johnson both looked like that got to them at times. Credit to them for continuing to get after it, but 6-17 is a bad stat line even if you score 23 and hit some big shots.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You can see exactly what happened when Grill went back in late. They were sagging completely off of Tamin and it was messing up our spacing big time. We had to get Grill back out there as a 3 point threat to make them at least respect the 3 point line.

I realize his job is management and distribution but I think TL can hit a three here and there and I'd love if they slow roll it out on the back end of the schedule.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I realize his job is management and distribution but I think TL can hit a three here and there and I'd love if they slow roll it out on the back end of the schedule.
Three point shooting is not Lipsey’s strength but he should shoot if he is completely open. He has better shooting mechanics than Hunter, who makes about 30% of his 3 point attempt. If Lipsey shoots enough 3 pointers, he will at least make 30% of them as most teams are leaving him open.

Reactions: madguy30

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I disagree that he was a liability on offense. While he wasn't scoring, he was getting guarded tight every time he touched the ball which helped open up the inside. He presence on the floor is valuable, even when he is not scoring.

That being said, a healthy Grill is much more valuable, so hopefully he gets some time off the next few games.

Kansas State was guarding everyone fairly tightly. My point was, until the very end, his shots were off (for him they looked rough) and he passed up a WIDE open 3 he'd shoot 100% of the time when healthy. When you have a guy that's not (really) a threat to score (this isn't just this game but the last several) and is hampered defensively (got burned on recoveries a couple of times) I just don't think it serves a huge purpose other than prolonging the injury.

The offensive issues are a huge concern with certain rotations. At one point we had Holmes, Gabe, Watson, Jones, and Grill on the floor. That left us with 2 (viable) offensive threats, and 2 liabilities on defense (Jones and Grill). I was praying to god KSU didn't go on an 8-0 run with that lineup out there (thankfully Holmes and Gabe kept the fire burning). I just don't think the risks (of perpetuating or worsening the injury) are outweighed by the advantages of having him out there, the lone exception being at the end of the game (having a FT threat on the floor).

People act like this is an indictment against Grill, it's not. Pryor to the injury he should have been the runaway winner for most improved player award in the conference. The reality is he is ONE of FIVE from the floor in 42 minutes over his last two games while struggling to keep up defensively. If he remains this "effective" teams will wisen up, attack him defensively, and possibly bait him into shots he's not making or simply dare him to shoot at all.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Three point shooting is not Lipsey’s strength but he should shoot if he is completely open. He has better shooting mechanics than Hunter, who makes about 30% of his 3 point attempt. If Lipsey shoots enough 3 pointers, he will at least make 30% of them as most teams are leaving him open.

Agreed. I'm sure that one chance, where he was wide open (and would have been in rhythm) and passed it up, stuck out to you as well. At times he looks like he wants to shoot then thinks about it and passes it up. It was kind of awkward watching it as it really mitigated his attack to the basket once he started to dribble. Being selectively viable will (eventually) make defenders respect it which will open up the lane and/or pump fakes down the road.

Teams are basically daring him to shoot that and he's often passing on that dare.