Caleb Swanigan dead at 25

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
On the "natural causes" piece, if memory serves me correctly there were some pictures a while back of him where he looked very unhealthy. I know he'd struggled with his weight over the years.

In any event just tremendously sad. I remember them running features on him having a very tough young life and that basketball allowed him to escape it. So sad to see a life end that young.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
From what I remember it seemed like we were down 10 like the whole game. Ugh.

1655821476597.png

Purdue led by around five most of the first half, extended the lead to >10 early in the second half, before Iowa State had a nice comeback from 10:00 to 5:00 and then it turned into a back-and-forth dogfight. Iowa State actually had a lead of two with 3:10 left on the clock, but Purdue closed it out after that.

Great game in every way except the final score.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
He definitely had weight issues prior to Purdue, and maybe during his underclassmen years. He shed a ton of weight as an upperclassmen though, and I thought was at least enjoying a cup of coffee (or two) in the NBA. Elite college player. Gone way too soon. RIP

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
On the "natural causes" bit, if memory serves me correctly there were some pictures a while back of him where he looked very unhealthy. I know he'd struggled with his weight over the years.

In any event just tremendously sad. I remember them running features on him having a very tough young life and that basketball allowed him to escape it. So sad to see a life end that young.

It’s still a weird choice to list “natural causes” instead of, say, heart failure, but I’m also not a coroner. Sad, regardless.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I remember hearing that he battled weight issues growing up. Not sure if that contributed to his death or not.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Just checked out his NBA stats. Looks like he struggled quite a bit with the transition to the league, as so many great 4-year players do. He was a late 1st round pick and only played 75 career games, couldn't find his shooting stroke from 3, which I remember him being quite effective at in college. Since he couldn't shoot at the NBA level his game just didn't translate well. He also had to play for the Kings, which could devastate just about any fringe-NBA players career.