CAMPBELL: Complete uniform/image overhaul coming

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
LOL! Suggest you stay away from job shopping Nike. These are classics.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/un...uniform-nations-2014-big-xii-uniform-rankings

20131116_ajw_bv1_610.0_standard_783.0.0.jpg

An underrated outfit, Kansas State's uniform is as lasting as coach Bill Snyder. In fact, the Wildcats slightly changed when Snyder departed the program, only to return to the classic stripes when he came out of retirement. As other schools with the same colored pants have changed to matte fabric, Kansas State's shiny silver pants make me wish Ohio State and Georgia had done the same.

K-State's uniforms are simple and sharp. I've never liked the wildcat helmet logo, but that's a personal preference and doesn't detract from the overall package.

Similar opinion about Iowa's uniforms — never liked the Flintstone Schmuckeye logo, but the uniform set has endured, even if we can cast stones about it being a Steeler-knockoff. (Why is UI not bashed for that, but ISU "copying" USC is some egregious design-crime?)

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Can't you kind of have true gold and yellow together in a way? ND has true gold helmets, but I've seen a lot of ND fans wearing gear with yellow instead of gold on them.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
View attachment 47946 I do like the truer Cyclone gold, but I also like the 'pop' of the current 'yellow'. If we do keep the current color scheme (Cardinal/yellow), why not put this gold, as depicted by amestoplease, as an accent somewhere? Since it was easiest to do, I kept amestoplease's gold, and depicted an accent helmet stripe w/ our current yellow. If nothing else it does show the contrast.

Probably could add some bright-yellow highlight to it, as long as doesn't overwhelm the basic gold. Maybe use it on the mid-stripe on helmet, as you suggest, and then use it on the Trice-stripes on shoulder (to match the true Trick jersey yellow). Possibly on the IOWA STATE jersey letters. But don't go beyond that.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
LOL! Suggest you stay away from job shopping Nike. These are classics.

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/un...uniform-nations-2014-big-xii-uniform-rankings

20131116_ajw_bv1_610.0_standard_783.0.0.jpg

An underrated outfit, Kansas State's uniform is as lasting as coach Bill Snyder. In fact, the Wildcats slightly changed when Snyder departed the program, only to return to the classic stripes when he came out of retirement. As other schools with the same colored pants have changed to matte fabric, Kansas State's shiny silver pants make me wish Ohio State and Georgia had done the same.

Hey, as much as I do like K-State's uniforms, I just got done saying I really don't give a crap what critics think about particular uniforms because they talk out of both sides of their mouths. Everybody knows USC and ISU have similar uniforms. So why is it USC is considered to be among the best uniforms, yet ISU is considered to be among the worst? It has nothing to do with the uniform itself but the program that's wearing it. USC football players could be wearing golden jock straps for pants and uniform critics would be slobbering over USC for no other reason than cuz USC.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Hey, as much as I do like K-State's uniforms, I just got done saying I really don't give a crap what critics think about particular uniforms because they talk out of both sides of their mouths. Everybody knows USC and ISU have similar uniforms. So why is it USC is considered to be among the best uniforms, yet ISU is considered to be among the worst? It has nothing to do with the uniform itself but the program that's wearing it. USC football players could be wearing golden jock straps for pants and uniform critics would be slobbering over USC for no other reason than cuz USC.
It's okay to knockoff pro unies (see K-State and Iowa) but not your peers. I think that's probably the answer why Cy is given grief. Minnesota got caught in the same conundrum.

If ISU goes back to it's traditional look, leaving yellow for gold, and using a true cardinal jersey, with gold pots (my hope), everyone will applaud the look, sans Boston College (below). Some of those pictured above are pretty smart.
images

Last edited:

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
i think its difficult to have two golds. iowa state has had a convoluted identity problem for awhile when it comes to colors and i think the direction needs to move toward simplifying it. i hate the use of black or anthrocite or charcoal or grey or whatever else is a passing fad. iowa state has largely missed the boat on this stuff anyway and its not going to be as relevant by the time they put it into action. its like wearing Jnco jeans and Airwalks in 2017.

heres a logistical viewpoint; a huge problem not being discussed here is the application of these colors on apparel. if youve ever seen the style guides for the collegiate teams that have in-between colors, youd realize how big of a mess it can be, especially if one of the colors is 'metallic.' first of all, 'metallic' isnt a color and its impossible to replicate on a lot of substrates. itd be like having 'mirror' as a team color. a lot of these schools have a secondary 'gold' in these scenarios, and its confusing. look at georgia tech, minnesota, ucla, baylor, notre dame, boston college, florida state etc. and youll see they have multiple (and entirely different) golds as team colors. peruse the online team shops of these schools and see for yourself how all over the board they are. or when they have a weird goldish color that isnt readily available from suppliers and they settle for whatever is (a lot of purdue stuff is basically the color of pale skin). basically im saying that it wouldnt be smart to try and solidify your true school colors based on what looks good on a few helmets 12 days out of the year but ultimately complicates our ability to be identified.

Attachments

• golds.jpg
    golds.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 33

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
i hate the use of black or anthrocite or charcoal or grey or whatever else is a passing fad. iowa state has largely missed the boat on this stuff anyway and its not going to be as relevant by the time they put it into action.

I totally agree. There could be uses of gray that work OK, even if the pad passes, but there should be more emphasis on getting the best use of school colors into a design scheme. Incorporating black/gray should be low on the priority list.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
i think its difficult to have two golds. iowa state has had a convoluted identity problem for awhile when it comes to colors and i think the direction needs to move toward simplifying it. i hate the use of black or anthrocite or charcoal or grey or whatever else is a passing fad. iowa state has largely missed the boat on this stuff anyway and its not going to be as relevant by the time they put it into action. its like wearing Jnco jeans and Airwalks in 2017.

heres a logistical viewpoint; a huge problem not being discussed here is the application of these colors on apparel. if youve ever seen the style guides for the collegiate teams that have in-between colors, youd realize how big of a mess it can be, especially if one of the colors is 'metallic.' first of all, 'metallic' isnt a color and its impossible to replicate on a lot of substrates. itd be like having 'mirror' as a team color. a lot of these schools have a secondary 'gold' in these scenarios, and its confusing. look at georgia tech, minnesota, ucla, baylor, notre dame, boston college, florida state etc. and youll see they have multiple (and entirely different) golds as team colors. peruse the online team shops of these schools and see for yourself how all over the board they are. or when they have a weird goldish color that isnt readily available from suppliers and they settle for whatever is (a lot of purdue stuff is basically the color of pale skin). basically im saying that it wouldnt be smart to try and solidify your true school colors based on what looks good on a few helmets 12 days out of the year but ultimately complicates our ability to be identified.

So...

Yellow it is. USC, Michigan, Iowa, & West Virginia among others are fine with it. We can be too.

We can throw the old farts and 49ers fans a bone & occasionally do a Clay Stapleton throwback. And when we do a Jack Trice throwback in 2023, it'll actually be accurate.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
So...

Yellow it is. USC, Michigan, Iowa, & West Virginia among others are fine with it. We can be too.

We can throw the old farts and 49ers fans a bone & occasionally do a Clay Stapleton throwback. And when we do a Jack Trice throwback in 2023, it'll actually be accurate.
Don't know what your criteria is for old farts, but they might be the biggest share of donors and season ticket holders

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
We need to stick with I-State as our primary Logo on our Helmets. Period. Actually like the White Helmets the best. No problem with stencil Logos.

Whirlybird and Criner Cyclone are fine for Retro Apparel. But not helmets and uniforms. Like the Walking Cy for Helmet Stickers.

No ketchup and mustard. Actually like the gray uniforms to mix things up. White Uniforms and White Helmets to mix things up as well.

• Disagree
Reactions: SC Cy

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Don't know what your criteria is for old farts, but they might be the biggest share of donors and season ticket holders

Graduates whose photos are in black & white. Like the true gold helmets.

Iowa State has used yellow for a far greater length of history than "true" gold. I don't get the love for that hideous brown shade.