MLB: Can Banana Ball change baseball for good?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
TallFalseGaur-size_restricted.gif

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I haven't watched the ESPN+ show about it yet, but I like what the Bananas are doing. Obviously baseball will not entirely adopt Banana Ball, but I could see them adopting some aspects of it; sort of like how basketball adopted the three point line.

As for the MLB right now, I do think they should at least adopt the pitch clock in an effort to improve pace of play. In the minors this year, the clock has cut game times by 20+ minutes, but has had no perceivable impact on results. Because of that, I think it's a no brainer. I don't realistically think that a pitch clock addition would draw many more fans to the game, but I don't think it would hurt.
1661711199170.png

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
It’s fun to watch but it’s like asking if the Harlem Globetrotters will change basketball. I would go to a game though
That was my thought too when I watched it the other night. I'd watch it once every few years but there's not much substance.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Watched the 1st episode last night on ESPN+ and I am intrigued by the concept. It's definitely a gimmick way of playing baseball but looks like it is entertaining. I probably still prefer the traditional way of baseball but the rules with this would make for a fun way to entertain a young family as you know the game is done within 2 hours and there is other entertainment and excitement going on that would keep the kids interest. Like someone above mentioned I see this as kind of a globetrotters version of baseball - will be entertaining but it will never replace the sport itself. My wife's reaction after watching it is the concept is a little reminiscent of the movie Baseketball.

Reactions: tim_redd

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Really the stealing first rule should be in place. If there is a passed ball or wild pitch the batter should be able to steal a base the same as runners on the bags. It isn't that different than taking first on a dropped strike 3.

Reactions: wxman1

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
1. Get rid of the blackout rule and every person involved in MLB that went along with it. Anybody in MLB that was not adamantly against it is too stupid to be involved in any organization. The only possible explanation is other sports leagues planting people in MLB to implement the blackout. No one that is capable of getting out of bed and finding their way to an office is stupid enough to think the blackout is anything but terrible for MLB.
2. Deconstruct fields and require all of them to have minimum fence distances. Grandfather in Fenway and Wrigley. The league has turned into a bunch of garbage mistake pitch hitters that watch strikes. I actually am against outlawing the shift, which is just a way to keep guys that can't do anything except pull the ball in the league. Allow the shift, increase the size of the parks. Get some f'ing balls in play. Get some of these fat turds that hit .210 with 25 homers by trying to pull everything out of the game and playing old man softball where they belong.
3. Absolutely require a pitch clock. Don't allow a batter to step out, or if he does the pitcher can still throw. If you want to call time when in the box, each team gets a limited number.
4. I'd be OK with the stealing first rule.
5. The extra inning rule in baseball now is great. Watching extra inning games, and guys trying to bunt and put the ball in play is great.
6. Limit number of times a pitcher can throw over. We need more stealing and athletes in the game.

And while we're at it, in football we need to find a way to outlaw the fourth down try to draw the other team off with the hard count nonsense. What a stupid waste of time. And if you jump offsides on that it should be a lifetime ban from the league.

• Agree
Reactions: Bocy and CYdTracked

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The baseball blackout rules would be the easiest way to get more viewers. For a sport struggling for ratings and popularity this is the dumbest thing they continue to do as it's the quickest way to get more eyeballs watching games in all markets. I think the whole allowing a batter to step out and adjust their batting gloves routine after about every pitch is ridiculous too. Once you step into the box you stay in it unless you get thrown at or have to get out of the way of an inside pitch and need time to get set again. The pitch clock helps some too but maybe the batters need something like that too as some of these pitchers just get fed up with the antics at the plate and need to step off and reset themselves too because of that. Both are just a big waste of time during games. Playoff baseball it gets even worse because these guys take every pitch like it's the last pitch of the world series it feels like.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I got on their waiting list and today they were announcing for people getting tickets for the game in Des Moines and my name was drawn. I can get up to 4 tickets. Any central Iowa cfer's interested?
My daughter wants to go and we didnt get selected, Im willing to pay extra for them.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I reached out to a buddy so 2 of the 4 I could buy are spoken for. Going to buy 4 regardless. I wouldn't look to gouge anyone so I would just ask for face value.

I might be interested. What is the date?

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
It doesn’t do any good this time around, but if they come to Des Moines again, try to get a group together and sign up for the group tickets. I know someone who did that and got an allotment of 50, then just found friends and family that wanted to go. Whatever wouldn’t have been used out of the allotment went back in the pool of general admission/single tickets. Didn’t have to pay for them up front or anything.

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron