Can Politics Help us?

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Worst thread name ever. Sorry about that. And sorry if what i'm about to pose is duplicative to anything already discussed (mods - please merge if so).

Okay - so after breathlessly and depressingly following all of the realignment news/rumor...i've noticed there are active angling among politicians in Texas and Kansas to ensure ALL of their schools are taken care of (see: Baylor to Pac10, KSU riding KU coattails to hopefully somewhere good).

Can't believe i'm about to say this.
Can't do it.
Have to....

Isn't it in the best interest of the State of Iowa to ensure Iowa State University doesn't get completely screwed in all of this? Assuming yes, shouldn't we have every Senator, Congressman, the Gov, state legislature, Board of Regents, Ashton Kucher, Shawn Johnson and Zach Johnson lobbying for Iowa State to be taken care of?
- First (my preferred): pound Havery Perlman and Tom Osborn to keep the B12 alive.
- Second (icky feeling here): get Iowa/Big 10 to invite ISU if/when they invite Mizzou and Nebraska?

I have to go take a shower now. But in all seriousness, it seems like everyone on our side is watching this happen. I get that JP and GG don't have the leverage/equity to influence in our conference....but we're getting absolutely nothing from our politicians, our media, etc....while the other 3 potential orphan schools (Baylor, KSU, KU) are working and angling and doing whatever it takes to see their schools taken care of.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
I would hope that at both a state and a federal level our representatives are spending their time on other more important issues....of course I am sure they aren't.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Politicians are already wasting their time in other states. Ours might as well 'waste' their time on this as well.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is it too late to run a candidate for Governor from the-- Keep Iowa State in a BCS Conference Party? Our convention could be held at 3 Bag, and our party line is simple..."We don't want to be in the MVC".

We are currently taking nominations....

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No.

Really, what pull do they have? They're not going to hold Iowa hostage in the Big 10 to take us as well.

What can they force? We'll give Texas corn for .05 cheaper a bushel?

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
There are very few issues that our State Legislators, Governor, Board of Regents, or Iowa Congressional Delegation could be working on that are more important than this issue. There are litterally tens of millions of dollars at stake over the long-run for Iowa State University. Every resource of every politiciation that represents the state should be vested into staking a position and lobbying it as hard as possible.

We can agree to disagree.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

ppclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
No.

Really, what pull do they have? They're not going to hold Iowa hostage in the Big 10 to take us as well.

What can they force? We'll give Texas corn for .05 cheaper a bushel?
I thought that too, until i remember Baylor's in the B12 and will kick CU out of the P10 discussion because of politicians.

And knowing K-State is essentially conjoined with KU.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The politicians will be useless because they have no leverage. And ending up in a less prestigeous conference has big implications beyond he athletic field.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I thought that too, until i remember Baylor's in the B12 and will kick CU out of the P10 discussion because of politicians.

And knowing K-State is essentially conjoined with KU.

Yeah, but Baylor is in the Big XII because the Texas legislature held UT and A&M hostage to the members of the Big 8. We don't have those chips. Hence my comment about not using Iowa.

Not sure what you mean in regards to CU? Pac 10 wants CU because of the Denver tv market. Not much else to it.

If the dominoes fall inside the Big XII (6 to the Pac 10, NU/Mizzou to the Big 10) then KU is clearly the prize of what's left. And the state of Kansas can leverage them to get something for KSU. Not to mention KSU has some history in FB and pretty big player in MBB right now.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
All they can really do is make iowa vote no on MU\NU without ISU. That vote can't stop anything from happening on its own, but that should still be done. Iowa should not be complicit in allowing an action that starts a chain reaction that severely damages another iowa public university.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
You can count on the Iowa governer to do nothing as well as most of the other politicians and famous people from Iowa. They are all Hawkeyes, and are having fun laughing at the Cyclones problems. If it was the Hawks in the same situation then all the other government issues in the state would grind to a halt to rescue a state instutution. (Iowa FB, not the University of Iowa)

safmusic

May 30, 2006
I would hope that at both a state and a federal level our representatives are spending their time on other more important issues....of course I am sure they aren't.
They are already screwing things up bad enough. Politics on any level is no help for this

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
There are very few issues that our State Legislators, Governor, Board of Regents, or Iowa Congressional Delegation could be working on that are more important than this issue. There are literally tens of millions of dollars at stake over the long-run for Iowa State University. Every resource of every politician that represents the state should be vested into staking a position and lobbying it as hard as possible.

We have two of the most powerful people in the United State Senate currently representing our state. They could demand hearings be held. This could hold up the process and make for more thoughtful deliberation on the subject matter.

At the state level we could devote funds through a marketing campaign to sell ourselves to the Big Ten. This may not make a difference in the end; however, tens of millions of dollars are at stake. We have got to try.

Other things that can be done on the state level are to have Governor Culver exert pressure on the Board of Regents and thus the University of Iowa to lobby the other Big Ten Presidents for Iowa State’s inclusion in the Big Ten. Again; it may not make a difference; however, tens of millions of dollars are at stake and a strong effort needs to be make.

I would hope that President Geoffroy and Jamie Pollard are working the political angle; however, to be honest with you, I’m not so sure. They and others seemed resigned to let the cards play out.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
All they can really do is make iowa vote no on MU\NU without ISU. That vote can't stop anything from happening on its own, but that should still be done. Iowa should not be complicit in allowing an action that starts a chain reaction that severely damages another iowa public university.

They should at least do this. If they do not, central Iowa (and most ISU alums) should speak with their votes.
I do not read the Rag, but have they added any informative investigative reporting on the economic impact of this issue? Or are they still just running articles with language suited for a blog?

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Tens of millions of dollars are at stake over the course of the next decade for Iowa State University. This state has spent millions through the Iowa Economic Development (IED) Fund to attract businesses to the state to not even come close to that type of revenue impact. We should be using IED funds to wage a marketing campaign and/or wage war through the political and legal systems.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Tens of millions of dollars are at stake over the course of the next decade for Iowa State University. This state has spent millions through the Iowa Economic Development (IED) Fund to attract businesses to the state to not even come close to that type of revenue impact. We should be using IED funds to wage a marketing campaign and/or wage war through the political and legal systems.

Sure, but to whom?

You think legislators in Texas or Nebraska give a flying leap about Iowa or Iowa State?

They're looking out for their own, particularly in Texas.

Heck, they didn't like us in the Big XII - don't kid yourself. You think they're going to risk or forgo tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions - to accomodate litttle ole Iowa State? :nah: We're not on their radar and they probably aren't even taking our calls.

Last edited:

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
As much as I love ISU sports, if our representatives in the state and national are working this issue, they should first and foremost be concerned on how it will effect Iowa State's future as an Academic Institution, and worry about how it will effect our Athletic Dept 2nd.

However, I believe there is definitely a link to athletic prestige and university $ and student enrollment that directly affects the academic prestige of the university. This is an issue that could effect both.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
Sure, but to whom?

You think legislators in Texas or Nebraska give a flying leap about Iowa or Iowa State?

They're looking out for their own, particularly in Texas.

Heck, they didn't like us in the Big XII - don't kid yourself. You think they're going to risk or forgo tens of millions, maybe hundreds of millions - to accomodate litttle ole Iowa State? :nah: We're not even on their radar and they probably aren't even taking our calls.

I am strictly talking about efforts our own elected officials, the Iowa Board of Regents, the Iowa Economic Development Fund, Sally Mason and others can make. I understand that noone outside of our state cares about us. Also, in the end, ISU inclusion in the Big Ten may prove to be an unsuccessful campaign. However, tens of millions are at stake. Every effort needs to be made. Are our elected officials doing anything? Answer: No. At least not that anybody is aware of. Are Texas lawmakers currently helping Baylor University. Answer: Yes. Texas lawmakers get the economic impact. It is obvious that our Iowa lawmakers do not.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I am strictly talking about efforts our own elected officials, the Iowa Board of Regents, the Iowa Economic Development Fund, Sally Mason and others can make. I understand that noone outside of our state cares about us. Also, in the end, ISU inclusion in the Big Ten may prove to be an unsuccessful campaign. However, tens of millions are at stake. Every effort needs to be made. Are our elected officials doing anything? Answer: No. At least not that anybody is aware of. Are Texas lawmakers currently helping Baylor University. Answer: Yes. Texas lawmakers get the economic impact. It is obvious that our Iowa lawmakers do not.

I'm sure certain elements of the Iowa gov't are involved, concerned. So who are we to "lobby"?

We have no power. Texas has all of it. Lesser extents Oklahoma and Kansas. They hold the movement of UT, A&M, OU and KU in their hands. They can play such games. As stated by someone else, if Iowa were in the Big XII and offered to the Big 10, that would be something. But we've always been split.

State of Iowa will NEVER risk the position of the u of i in the Big 10. Never, ever, ever.

That's what I'm saying. The governor can instruct the BOR and the Iowa admin to vote in favor of ISU during at the Big 10. That's it. They may very well do so.

So then my question is, who the state and gov't to "lobby"?