Can someone help me understand this?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Long story short, the gf and I came across a “vegan” bread recipe.

My question is, what makes regular bread non vegan? I’ve looked up a few recipes and even looked at the ingredients of my store bought bread. Not a single animal product to be found.

So, what’s the difference, or is this just another scam in the food world?

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA

My question is, what makes regular bread non vegan? I’ve looked up a few recipes and even looked at the ingredients of my store bought bread. Not a single animal product to be found.

Yeast?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Some sandwich breads too I think have dairy in them. I don't think yeast is considered an animal product by most vegans.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I imagine a lot of bread in the store they just can't guarantee that it didn't come into contact with milk or whatever, maybe depending on what else they make there.

Normal bread should be vegan though.

ozone

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
Bread containing eggs, honey, royal jelly, gelatin, or dairy-based ingredients like milk, butter, buttermilk, whey, or casein isn't considered vegan.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I imagine a lot of bread in the store they just can't guarantee that it didn't come into contact with milk or whatever, maybe depending on what else they make there.

Normal bread should be vegan though.

Yeah, I get the contact thing, but that picture I posted didn’t even have that warning.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Butter.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
My wife is a vegan, and she would eat this bread because it’s vegan. I’m not sure where you’re hearing that it’s not.

I was more just curious about someone making a sandwich with vegan bread and was wondering what’s the difference. Since there are not animal products in the vast majority of bread.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017

Some breads like brioche and ciabatta can routinely contain eggs, but not regular bread. Assuming the recipe is trying to play off the vegan buzzword.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I was more just curious about someone making a sandwich with vegan bread and was wondering what’s the difference. Since there are not animal products in the vast majority of bread.

I'd imagine that the vast majority of bread is vegan, but because certain ingredients (and sub-ingredients of those) may have potential animal sources, it is simply a choice to not give it the label that would then require them to keep verifying that those ingredients remained vegan and would limit their ability to change ingredients\suppliers in the future. Simpler just to leave the vegan label off because most vegans are going to look at this and say it counts as vegan anyway.

Reactions: bsaltyman

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
Once the vegan bread thing is figured out can we just turn this into a generalized "Can someone help me understand this?" megathread because I have a lot of questions about a lot of sh*t.

What’s your number one topic? Wife or your kids?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron