Can we stop with the Mangino idolatry?

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
This isnt necessarilly about the current offensives woes. But many have asked keys to be handed over like he's Saban.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
This isnt necessarilly about the current offensives woes. But many have asked keys to be handed over like he's Saban.

For those who are mad about the current coach, it's easy to call him out when they actually no the name of a potential replacement. Hence the reason when asked who people want to replace Rhoads if he's fired, most people are only capable of throwing out Mangino and Craig Bohl's names.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Lets not forget how bad and for how long our offense has been. Mangino didn't produce a great offense at KU overnight.

At some poin you expect the players you have to catch the mother ******* ball.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
To be fair to Mangino, he has proven himself numerous times, and he had absolutely to role in the personnel he has to work with.

That's true. I think there is some talent there, but the development has been questionable and I don't think the o-line is athletically what is really needed for us to do what Mangino wants.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Coaches are only as good as their players make them look. Our skill players really aren't very good compared to the other top big 12 teams . our line is aweful compared to everyone.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
He's bringing a knife to a gun fight right now. We have no chance vs these good south teams.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Coaches are only as good as their players make them look. Our skill players really aren't very good compared to the other top big 12 teams . our line is aweful compared to everyone.

I disagree with first and agree with second. We may not be world beaters at skill positions, but we are not that bad. We look worse because our line is not good.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I disagree with first and agree with second. We may not be world beaters at skill positions, but we are not that bad. We look worse because our line is not good.

Mark can't fix OL issues in one season. Benign neglect of this area from CPR. No plan, no development crappy results.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

The injuries are really hurting the offense. West was the last of the starting WRs, 3 OL, it just starts adding up after a while. QB is a huge lost to this team. He was the guy that had the speed and strength to stretch defenses, and was the guy that SR was use to throwing to.

Also pretty hard to place all the blame on the offense when the special teams gave up 14 points in two minutes, and change the way the offense and defense had to play.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
My goodness people, have some patience. Rome wasn't built in a day. You know this is his first year and we are 5 games in right? You also realize we lost 4 of our top receivers now with Jarvis sitting today? This offense is much better than the previous couple of years even with the struggles in the run game Give it time. This is the best staff I've seen at ISU in 30 years. It takes a long time to build recruiting momentum at a place like ISU. This fire everyone mentality is harmful to the program. Go ahead, fire CPR is you want reset to the Chizak years.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
The stat that's worrying me is:
Wimberly: 4.0 ypc
Nealy: 3.9 ypc

Wimberly: 3.0 ypc
Nealy: 2.9 ypc

The earlier part of the schedule is probably tougher against the run, but this has definitely got to improve for the team to be successful.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The offense is not improved from last year.

I don't agree. The results may not be indicative of any real noticeable improvement, but they do look better, pass the eye test more frequently, and you'd have to think that with QB and a completely healthy West things would be going better.

The running game is the real disappointment so far. We won't start winning games until the o-line starts to slow down and hold their blocks at the first level before moving into the second level, as Bruns explained earlier in the pregame. He singled out Farniok in particular, who although our best OL by far, moves too quickly for the other OL and they can't fill the gaps he leaves behind quickly enough

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You are blind. The run game I'll give you, but the rest is better. Would be much better if our best wrs weren't hurt.
Yeah, just the run game. No big deal.

The decline in the run game is not off-set by enough tangible improvement in the pass game. We lost Bundrage, but had everyone else for NDSU, KSU, and Iowa. Bundrage is good, but he is not the kind of talent to make this offense go from horrible to even below average.

Last edited: