Car Audio Experts...

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Looking to replace factory headset. Early research (Crutchfield) suggest nothing deemed a "fit" for my 2015 model yet.

My biggest pet-peeve is potential headset looks out of place. Is this one of those things that just depends on the installer's abilities or should I wait it out for an official "kit" to be released?

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm not a car audio expert, but I'd wait for a kit. Newer cars are really integrating the factory head units into the dash rather than just sticking something into a standard sized hole. So without some kind of kit to fit your specific dash it's very possible that you'll end up with an install that doesn't look good even if it's an experienced installer. Can you share the make/model so we can get a look at the interior?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Looking to replace factory headset. Early research (Crutchfield) suggest nothing deemed a "fit" for my 2015 model yet.

My biggest pet-peeve is potential headset looks out of place. Is this one of those things that just depends on the installer's abilities or should I wait it out for an official "kit" to be released?

I would just take to a car audio shop and see what they say. Plus, are there any concerns with voiding part of the warranty on a new vehicle, especially if you are planning on doing this yourself?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Hope your system isn't already an amplified system. Trying to replace mine, and I have run into so many problems.

Same here. Replaced my Jeep head unit but now the factory amps will not work. So the top end still sounds fine, but the 6x9's don't have much bass to them anymore.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Same here. Replaced my Jeep head unit but now the factory amps will not work. So the top end still sounds fine, but the 6x9's don't have much bass to them anymore.

trying to do it in a GM vehicle is absolutely awful, had to buy this chimer for car sounds, then that didn't work, then had to buy another one, and that didn't work, now I just have to wire direct, and then put my amp and sub in and hopefully it works.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to change out your factory headset? From my perspective, that's one of the few areas automakers have actually improved on over the years (speaking of factory vs. after-market).

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to change out your factory headset? From my perspective, that's one of the few areas automakers have actually improved on over the years (speaking of factory vs. after-market).

yes and no, the speakers aren't at full power when they come stock, when you put in aftermarket it powers the speakers more so it gets better sound quality, and range of bass if you put a sub in, some new dodge trucks have subs in it. I'm curoious if it's compatable with an aftermarket amplifier, and if that'd work better.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Unless it's a complete POS, I'd look at something like JL Audio Cleansweep, some speakers, an amp, and keep the stock HU.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
yes and no, the speakers aren't at full power when they come stock, when you put in aftermarket it powers the speakers more so it gets better sound quality, and range of bass if you put a sub in, some new dodge trucks have subs in it. I'm curoious if it's compatable with an aftermarket amplifier, and if that'd work better.

Lots of new cars offer upgraded audio systems that include some kind of subwoofer now.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Car companies are really killing the audio after market. Mine came with 16 speakers including a small sub and I have have little doubt that I could get better sound out of a 4 speakers plus 1 sub setup.