Carleton claims SIXTH Big 12 POW this season

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I don't follow WBB enough to know but with that kind cred is she the favorite for the conference POTY or is there some other superstar out there that will trump her consistency?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I missed this yesterday when it was announced. It is her 16th time to win the award, putting her in third place all-time for the league. Only Courtney Paris and Brittney Griner have more. It should be noted that Kalani Brown (pre-season POY) has zero.

https://cyclones.com/news/2019/3/4/...ig-12-weekly-honor-of-season-16th-career.aspx

I don't follow WBB enough to know but with that kind cred is she the favorite for the conference POTY or is there some other superstar out there that will trump her consistency?

According to Mulkey Brown is the no-brainer pick. She was offended when asked about it after the Baylor @ ISU game and acted like the media person who asked was an idiot for asking. But note the last line of Buster's post.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
According to Mulkey Brown is the no-brainer pick. She was offended when asked about it after the Baylor @ ISU game and acted like the media person who asked was an idiot for asking. But note the last line of Buster's post.

I would expect nothing less from that female canine.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Mulkey is one vote. I believe that most coaches in this league have the simple power of observation and can see for themselves that Carleton is a more versatile player and has the better overall stats to back up all those POW wins. Brown does a good job of what she's able to do, but she's not the best player in the Big 12. I would never, ever trade Carleton for Brown on my team.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Mulkey is one vote. I believe that most coaches in this league have the simple power of observation and can see for themselves that Carleton is a more versatile player and has the better overall stats to back up all those POW wins. Brown does a good job of what she's able to do, but she's not the best player in the Big 12. I would never, ever trade Carleton for Brown on my team.
If the voting is anything like the men's side Mulkey can't vote for Brown because coaches can't vote for their own players but I will bet she doesn't vote for Carleton either. She knows that Brown will need all the help she can get to beat Carleton.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Coaches cannot vote for their own players for all conference awards / honors. Bill and Kim cancel each other out, leaving the other eight coaches in the league to decide.

It would be a shame if Bridget is not POY, however it would not surprise me to see Brown win the award based on past history in the league.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

CySmitty

Jan 3, 2008
Longmont, CO

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Coaches cannot vote for their own players for all conference awards / honors. Bill and Kim cancel each other out, leaving the other eight coaches in the league to decide.

It would be a shame if Bridget is not POY, however it would not surprise me to see Brown win the award based on past history in the league.
The point is if Bill votes for whomever he believes is the best player not on his team and it is Brown and Kim votes for someone other than Carleton even if she believes Carleton is the best player not on her team it is a net win for Brown. It will be interesting to see what happens. If Brown has really won it the last two years, it really is time for someone else to win it. Brown has done much less with a much better supporting cast. For Pete's sake she starts with a 4 who is bigger than anyone on ISU's entire roster.

Brown is leading the league in FG percentage and is getting half a block a game more than Carleton. Beyond that Carleton is completely out playing her. Bridget is even outrebounding her. Carleton is better than Brown in scoring, rebounding, FT%, steals, assists and of course 3pt%. Carleton even has more double doubles (12-7).

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Carleton should get POY and Bill deserves COY this yr also. Take Brown away from BU they still probably win the league. Take Bridget off ISU no way we end up 2nd this yr.

Last yr I was pretty critical of the coaching staff, but give credit where it's due, they put together a team this yr that is darn fun to watch and plays as a team.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
The point is if Bill votes for whomever he believes is the best player not on his team and it is Brown and Kim votes for someone other than Carleton even if she believes Carleton is the best player not on her team it is a net win for Brown. It will be interesting to see what happens. If Brown has really won it the last two years, it really is time for someone else to win it. Brown has done much less with a much better supporting cast. For Pete's sake she starts with a 4 who is bigger than anyone on ISU's entire roster.

Brown is leading the league in FG percentage and is getting half a block a game more than Carleton. Beyond that Carleton is completely out playing her. Bridget is even outrebounding her. Carleton is better than Brown in scoring, rebounding, FT%, steals, assists and of course 3pt%. Carleton even has more double doubles (12-7).

She has won it once, last year.
2015-2016 - Brittney Martin, OSU
2016-2017 - Brooke McCarty, Texas
2017-2018 - Kalani Brown, Baylor

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Carleton should get POY and Bill deserves COY this yr also. Take Brown away from BU they still probably win the league. Take Bridget off ISU no way we end up 2nd this yr.

Last yr I was pretty critical of the coaching staff, but give credit where it's due, they put together a team this yr that is darn fun to watch and plays as a team.

Bill has never won coach of the year in the B12. He deserves it this year, but it would not surprise me to see Mulkey win it again.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the voting is anything like the men's side Mulkey can't vote for Brown because coaches can't vote for their own players but I will bet she doesn't vote for Carleton either. She knows that Brown will need all the help she can get to beat Carleton.

Unless it's completely unanimous how do you know that they didn't vote for their own. I remember my HS football coach told us that to be unanimous all conference you had to have seven (8 teams) votes since you can't vote for your own players. One team would get eight votes on occasion though he mentioned. This team seemed to always get more players than teams a couple spots ahead of them, but with an honor system of not voting for you own doesn't work when the coach doesn't have much honor.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Unless it's completely unanimous how do you know that they didn't vote for their own. I remember my HS football coach told us that to be unanimous all conference you had to have seven (8 teams) votes since you can't vote for your own players. One team would get eight votes on occasion though he mentioned. This team seemed to always get more players than teams a couple spots ahead of them, but with an honor system of not voting for you own doesn't work when the coach doesn't have much honor.
I'm pretty sure the league office tallies the votes so they know what they are getting from each Big 12 coach.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
She has won it once, last year.
2015-2016 - Brittney Martin, OSU
2016-2017 - Brooke McCarty, Texas
2017-2018 - Kalani Brown, Baylor
Interesting. I wonder if Mulkey was counting the preseason award when she said Brown won the last two in the Iowa State game post game presser.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
In the post-game press conference referenced earlier, Mulkey states that Brown deserves POY because she gets triple teamed and teams have to game-plan around her. Earlier, she admitted that BU game-planned around Carleton & wanted to stop her (how did that go, btw??). In the UT game, you saw consistent evidence of Carleton being triple-teamed whenever she got the ball in the paint. SO, Mulkey's POY reasoning is the same for both KB and BC, it's just that KB is 6'7". If I was choosing up sides for a women's basketball team and knew nothing of the players, I'd definitely take 6-7 KB over BC. But, if I saw both of them play, I'm taking BC every day! It's like choosing Russell Westbrook over Steven Adams - both are VERY GOOD players, but Westbrook is a triple double threat every time he takes the floor. Just because BU is undefeated does NOT mean they have the best player - only that they have the best team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron