Carleton, Lynx debut WNBA in Canada; sell out Raptors home arena

peatyscotch

Feb 16, 2022
Bridget Carleton went home to Canada with the Lynx for an exhibition game against the Chicago Sky. The NBA Raptors home arena, Scotiabank Arena, was sold out for the game. 20,000 tickets were sold almost as soon as they became available. Toronto is being considered for WNBA expansion, but has a few significant speed bumps to overcome.

Toronto is less than 3 hours from Bridget's home town of Chatham. For trivia buffs, Carleton became the first Canadian to play in a WNBA game in Canada, albeit an exhibition game.

Nice to see this happen for Bridget; she's been with the Lynx now since 2019. Her interview shown in the attachment below is classic Bridget; you've all seen that smile many times before.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Bridget Carleton went home to Canada with the Lynx for an exhibition game against the Chicago Sky. The NBA Raptors home arena, Scotiabank Arena, was sold out for the game. 20,000 tickets were sold almost as soon as they became available. Toronto is being considered for WNBA expansion, but has a few significant speed bumps to overcome.

Toronto is less than 3 hours from Bridget's home town of Chatham. For trivia buffs, Carleton became the first Canadian to play in a WNBA game in Canada, albeit an exhibition game.

Nice to see this happen for Bridget; she's been with the Lynx now since 2019. Her interview shown in the attachment below is classic Bridget; you've all seen that smile many times before.

Jeez, feel good moment to watch that, except Bridget's stats were unmentioned.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Jeez, feel good moment to watch that, except Bridget's stats were unmentioned.
Watched the game and the problem I have with our girl is she defers to many times to other players so her stats are not like what she had as a Cyclone. She is a true TEAM player not like some players in the league. Hoping for a better year for the Lynx this season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched the game and the problem I have with our girl is she defers to many times to other players so her stats are not like what she had as a Cyclone. She is a true TEAM player not like some players in the league. Hoping for a better year for the Lynx this season.

It's how she stays in the league. And it's how Joens will need to be to catch on. Not paying much attention to Jones "stats". She'll need to be able to defend to make her roster. They know she's capable of hitting a three or two off the bench.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I'm surprised Toronto doesn't already have a WNBA team.

Seems exactly the sort of city -- Canadian or not -- that fits their product.

ISU3PtLand

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, Iowa
I'm surprised Toronto doesn't already have a WNBA team.

Seems exactly the sort of city -- Canadian or not -- that fits their product.

My guess is the league will begin the expansion process this year. At one point the league had 16 teams, but lost some due to poor attendance and financial issues. The league has been very hesitant to expand because they wanted to make sure the existing franchises are on solid footing.

I would expect Toronto and the Bay Area seem locks for expansion. Other cities that have been mentioned are Denver, Austin, Charlotte, Portland and Nashville. Charlotte and Portland have had teams previously, but with the growth of women's college basketball at South Carolina, Oregon and Oregon State, those cities may get a second chance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kansas City or St. Louis try for a franchise as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
How about an all Iowa State, Iowa, UNI, Drake team in Des Moines? They would get good attendance!