Cash not accepted at ISU athletic events

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
well it's not like you can tell them to return it for a refund.

Our children aren't anywhere near old enough to worry about this yet, but I can't imagine any of my children having a phone before being a teenager. Maybe it's because I'm currently dealing with 7 and younger children and I'll feel differently when they get to that age but I can't imagine giving one of my daughters a credit card that they have to keep track of. We're still working on keeping track of all our clothes we bring to school (hats/coats/shoes/etc)

I guess I was imagining being there with the kids and they go off to get a treat briefly. I hadn't considered from the angle of it being teens. In that case whatever I'd use would be linked to a debit account with access via phone. My guess is that if I'm sending them on their own, they are old enough to have a phone. If I'm sending them with another family, they can take cash to pay the other parents for whatever they get.

CaposCy

Feb 8, 2017
No cash. No Problem. I will be using the chip in my arm for transactions at JTS this year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just scan my Q-code.

maxresdefault.jpg

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I guess I was imagining being there with the kids and they go off to get a treat briefly. I hadn't considered from the angle of it being teens. In that case whatever I'd use would be linked to a debit account with access via phone. My guess is that if I'm sending them on their own, they are old enough to have a phone. If I'm sending them with another family, they can take cash to pay the other parents for whatever they get.

slight thread derail here, but the no phone thing isn't about a lack of trust or accountability. I feel pretty strongly that social media is really bad for pre-teens, particularly girls. Junior High can be so brutal, at least without a phone that **** doesn't follow them everywhere.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I generally also pay with a card for everything. I don't know how much of an issue this has been anyway but I would think it would also be much safer for the employees not having a bunch of cash on hand.

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Seems like a good idea in a lot of places including ISU events. Some places in smaller towns don’t do plastic because they don’t want to pay some big bank for people who use plastic.

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
Apparently I’ve missed this info before now. Below is copied from today’s email reminder about this weekend’s VB Cardinal and Gold Challenge.

Please note: All concession stands at Iowa State athletics events have gone cashless. Concession stands will accept all major credit cards, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
This is very inconvenient for an old school fan who likes cash over card.

• Haha
Reactions: 06_CY

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
slight thread derail here, but the no phone thing isn't about a lack of trust or accountability. I feel pretty strongly that social media is really bad for pre-teens, particularly girls. Junior High can be so brutal, at least without a phone that **** doesn't follow them everywhere.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I generally also pay with a card for everything. I don't know how much of an issue this has been anyway but I would think it would also be much safer for the employees not having a bunch of cash on hand.

And that’s the nice thing about the Greenlight cards I linked earlier. No need for a phone. Kids get their own debit card that the parents can add money to really easily and we get notifications about every transaction. Obviously they’ll need to keep track of the debit card, but my kids 7 - 15 don’t seem to have an issue. Also works really nice for them getting dinners when traveling with sports teams and such. Don’t need to think ahead about making sure they have cash.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Totally agree on phones. Was just listening to a podcast that went into that a bit actually and they said if you can hold off til high school it's really beneficial. Or at least make a dumb AF phone before that with no social media, only calling/texting. Our oldest is 5 and knock on wood has had almost zero screen time the past month and prior to that he could watch some tv/our phone but we don't even own a tablet. We'll hold off on phones as long as possible.

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
Honestly given the benefits of cards, you're throwing away money if you still pay for things primarily with cash. Not just the cashback or travel miles (and some pretty nice signup bonuses) you can get from cards, but the additional benefits like purchase and fraud protection that the cards give. Just pay it off in full every month.
If you pay with cash there is 0 chance of fraud !!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you pay with cash there is 0 chance of fraud !!

Zero chance of credit card fraud, and the risk is essentially zero with a credit card too since theyll cover it if it happens. Plenty of other ways to lose your money with cash, with zero recourse.

• Winner
Reactions: khardbored

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
You can tell which parents in this thread have little kids. I was once an idealist on a phone too. Then they hit 5th grade and 90% of the other kids have one and it just becomes inevitable.

It sucks and in a perfect world it wouldn't be that way but here we are.

Help Support Us

Become a patron