Cats vs Small Dogs

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know that keeping a dog in a crate is all that unfair, especially after working from home pretty much since the pandemic started. Dogs are possibly lazier than cats. My older dog, who we never crate, sits in the same spot all day and does not move. Occasionally I check on him just to make sure he isn't dead. My other dog is almost 2 years old, so we were crating him when we went to work before the pandemic started. Even though he doesn't have to, he spends basically his whole day in his crate with the door open. The young pup is maturing and pretty well behaved now, so I'm not sure we will crate him when I go back to the office, but I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it if we did since he spends the whole day in there anyways.

I've heard or read or something that if the crate is an enjoyable place for them, it's not a punishment and they don't treat it as such.

Like cozy blankets, maybe snack, etc. something they associate with and there's no harm to having them go in.

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Small dogs are ok EXCEPT for chihuahuas!

They are tiny home wrecking, soul pissing, barking at you for living, miserable shtbags.

And they live forever, no matter how many times you accidentally step on their heads.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I love both dogs & cats; we had a standard dachshund when I was a kid, and as an adult I had a half-dozen spaniels (brittanys & springers) over the course of about 25 years. Where we live now, a dog would have had to be crated all day while we were at work...not fair to the dog. And now that we're retired, well...it's a lot easier to take off for a few days and leave cats behind than to do the same with a dog or dogs...all we do is call the neighbor girl & she comes down & feeds, waters, & dumps litter daily while we're gone.

With that said, I know from experience that cats can be as loving as dogs. A big part of it is how well they are socialized when they are kittens. Maybe some of you have had a bad experience or two with cats. Have you honestly never had bad experiences with dogs? Blanket descriptions of "cats evil - dogs perfect" are lazy.

For every mean cat you can list I can list a person mauled or killed by a dog. How many deaths by house cat are on the books? :)

Thats because the cats make it look like an accident

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Like I get not liking a dog that is annoying and constantly barking but most small dogs aren’t that way in my experience. We had a Jack Russell Terrier and a cat and I liked the dog a lot more. Dogs want to be with you and cats are more roommates.
I'm with ya...I've had two small dogs and I love them. Smart, easy to handle, playful, messes are tiny when they have them, etc

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
If the dog can't play fetch, its a cat... What's the difference?

Only downsize with a big dog is when they have really bad owners who don't train them. It should be a crime to be a $hitty dog owner with no obedience training

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We have a mini-Dachshund who is absolutely wonderful. He barks at the delivery trucks, but I would hardly call him "yippy." Mostly, he wants the delivery guys to come in and play rather than stay outside.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Little dogs are the worst of both worlds. None of the advantages of a big friendly dog and you still have to pick up its crap

Reactions: cyfan92

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Not a big fan of dogs in general, but would not mind a medium-big breed that I could keep outdoors mostly. The wife insists any dog we have would have to be indoor. Growing up she had a bichone freese (?) and the last couple years of the dogs life it would frequently piss and crap in the house, vomit, gag, cough and choke, and was on 3 different medications and had heart issues as well as Addisons Disease. None of this to mention the dog would fart constantly and it would the most ungodly stench you could ever dream up. Yeah, I'm not letting a dog live in my house...

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Had two cats who both fetched just like dogs! Also, both were very well trained, no inside messes (other than a few hair balls over a dozen years), and slept in our attached garage. Litter boxes & food/water were in garage. In the morning before work, I would open door, whistle, and they would come in and hang out while we were getting ready for work. When we left for work, I’d whistle again and they’d head back out to the garage. After work when we got home, they’d come back in the house and play, hang out until it was bedtime! A couple of pretty good cats!

Cy4Lifer

Dec 21, 2010
Also, since our two cats died (one was 14, the other was 16), we still have had a small dog. Australian Labradoodle who is now 8. Just wanted to stick up for little dogs. She weighs about 14 lbs and is as quiet as can be (sometimes, she is so quiet in the backseat of our vehicle, we have to look to make sure she’s there!) only barks when she sees a squirrel in the backyard, or when the doorbell rings. Not all little dogs are “yippers “.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I'm a dog person but only really like large/med breeds, we have two pit bully type of mutts that go 50 and 75lbs respectively, just had a huskie pass away last fall at age 14. I have always liked cats though, which is odd because growing up, I had two of the worst cats you could imagine, the type that ran out from behind things and attacked the back of you legs or peed on your stuff all the time. I'd still prefer them over a small dog.

Currently, we have one indoor cat that is super affectionate and honestly acts more like a dog than a cat and an outdoor cat that the previous owners of our property left behind, she's a great cat as well and if she could refrain from beating up our dogs, she'd be an inside kitty as well, for now, she gets a pretty cushy spot in the garage, she takes care of the rodents as her rent. I'd take a cat over a small dog any day

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Small dogs are the worst. Useless and yappy as ****. We’ve got two indoor cats, both with dog personalities. I love big dogs and hope to get one soon, but I am sure I’ll always have at least one cat. They’re bastards in a way that you almost have to respect.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron