Cedar Rapids game watch

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
What's the least obnoxious bar I can get a TV tuned to the Cyclone game? Hawk fans will be out in full force to see the Buckeyes, probably getting angry-drunk when it goes downhill.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Louie's is probably the best bet. I have a coworker that was there for the Tech game and even though both games were at the same time he said everything was separate and there were no issues. Even if God forbid we were to lose tomorrow. The hawks don't have much of a chance IMO to win so they should be down as well.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
FYI there is a Hawkeye game watch going on at Louie's tomorrow as well.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Cedar Rapids resident here. Would like if we switched it up from Louie’s every so often. Parking there is a nightmare and food is so/so in my opinion.

Id like to see a couple game watches downtown and in the other CR quadrants

Potential spots
  • Axels
  • Bushwood
  • Beef O Brady’s
  • Grin N Goose
  • Bricks

Last edited:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for the links all!

Agree with Messi that Marion is not ideal, but not going to complain if it gets me some friendly faces.

Reactions: Rogue52 and Messi

CYTruck

Jan 3, 2010
There used to be a place called Tanners on edgewood next to the Hy-vee.. they closed (high drink prices)
But it is now reopened under the name of "Drizzy's" drinks are much cheaper.. basically the same bar, with lots of TV's and they have both ISU and Iowa stuff on the walls....
Might be a good place watch the game if your on the West side.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Changing locations has been discussed a few time before. Louie's is okay, and they do a pretty good job of segregating half the bar to Clone fans. If they do chance locations, I would like to see it done through the alumni association,. The real key to have a place to call home consistently, even with a hawk game at the same time.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
There used to be a place called Tanners on edgewood next to the Hy-vee.. they closed (high drink prices)
But it is now reopened under the name of "Drizzy's" drinks are much cheaper.. basically the same bar, with lots of TV's and they have both ISU and Iowa stuff on the walls....
Tanner's had a short 5 month run. I think the only place that had a shorter run in CR was the brand new RockTop (now Axel's). I think Rocktop lasted 4-5 weeks. It amazes me how people build restaraunts and right away they learn they can't make money.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I used to be on the board of the Alumni Association and every place we found that was Clone friendly and even offered drink specials ended up folding in about 3-5 months. Some bad luck, but generally it is pretty hard to make a bar/restaurant go. They traditionally have a lot of fund and product leakage, plus a lot of dead hours.

CYTruck

Jan 3, 2010
I used to be on the board of the Alumni Association and every place we found that was Clone friendly and even offered drink specials ended up folding in about 3-5 months. Some bad luck, but generally it is pretty hard to make a bar/restaurant go. They traditionally have a lot of fund and product leakage, plus a lot of dead hours.

I agree that it is a tough business. I work on the west side and drive by this bar often. I just mentioned it because it sort of reminds me of a smaller version of a BWW with all the tv's and now much cheaper drink pricing... and they will turn the sound to the game you want.. if your the popular crowd in the Bar... always nice to have options. Go Cyclones!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeffwork

Mar 9, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
The Linn & Johnson county alumni groups are holding a game watch at a place called Louie's Scoreboard in Marion.

http://www.isualum.org/network-and-connect/events/events-calendar/?calendars=19

I don't go to any bars in Marion.
The Linn & Johnson county alumni groups are holding a game watch at a place called Louie's Scoreboard in Marion.

http://www.isualum.org/network-and-connect/events/events-calendar/?calendars=19

I never go to Marion for few drinks. Cops are way to aggressive driving around with the speed cameras running and picking up anyone for a minor infraction.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

liljones13

Mar 27, 2006
Springville, IA

I never go to Marion for few drinks. Cops are way to aggressive driving around with the speed cameras running and picking up anyone for a minor infraction.
They have this cool new thing called an Uber that will pick you up and drop you off so you dont have to worry about having a few too many pops. I'm sure you'd rather pay the uber ride fee vs a speeding ticket in Marion..

Reactions: Ryan4069

Jeffwork

Mar 9, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
They have this cool new thing called an Uber that will pick you up and drop you off so you dont have to worry about having a few too many pops. I'm sure you'd rather pay the uber ride fee vs a speeding ticket in Marion..
True that. Good point, still passing on Marion, much better bars in CR. Thanks.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
What's the least obnoxious bar I can get a TV tuned to the Cyclone game? Hawk fans will be out in full force to see the Buckeyes, probably getting angry-drunk when it goes downhill.
That would part of the fun of it. My son and I had a blast watching Iowa get shitkicked by Stanford. Now add the beauty of Iowa State winning at precisely the same time. Lol!

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle

Good to hear things haven't changed since the 80's

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Marion doesn’t have speed cameras. Downtown Marion is much improved especially in the last couple of years. Also the cops are nothing like they used to be. To each their own though.

Good to hear things haven't changed since the 80's

See above.