Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Corridor and Area Breweries:

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Here's a list of Breweries in the Corridor centered around Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I have added current comments on these places as of August 1, 2016. Please check their websites for current hours as some open hours are very restrictive. The distances shown are centered from where google maps calls North Liberty, Iowa (a growing town located north of Iowa City and south of Cedar Rapids). Please add comments that you have about these breweries. Please also add any breweries that you know of which are within about 35 miles of North Liberty. Thank you. (and because of the length of this post, I must split it into multiple messages as it exceeds the 10,000 character limit when posted by itself).

In no particular order of greatness, but generally moving from North to South geographically:

- ANOTHER ROAD BREWING - Marion, Iowa (about 27 miles) -- They recently opened its new tasting room in Marion (it is no longer in the basement of that other building). Started life as a licensed 'nano brewery'. Rumor says it will also be opening a new brewing facility in Cedar Rapids. I've had some very good, and some 'mostly good' beers at this place (nothing bad). The brewers seem to be quite competent (at least before the move and expansion to new equipment). No food at the old location, I believe this is the same at the new place.

- THIRD BASE SPORTS BAR AND BREWERY - (about 25 miles) -- Across from Rockwell Collins in Cedar Rapids on Blairsferry Road near the C Ave intersection. When I was last through their doors (July 2016) this franchise had just been purchased from the former owners. In a paperwork screw-up, they did not renew their license to brew or sell their own beers, hopefully they will have their own brews back on tap before football season. Currently substituting a variety of microbrews (some not necessarily local) until they can get their own back on tap. When they do have their own beers on tap, I have never been overly impressed nor offended by their beer. I usually drink their Black Cobra Oatmeal Stout. Many like their "Bee's Knees Honey Ale" They do often have some experimental beers of their own on top (when they can brew). And they will often have one or two guest beers. Very good American bar fare.

- GRANITE CITY - . (about 26 miles) While this place calls itself a brewery, I hear that the onsite brewing equipment is mostly ornamental, and that the beer that they call their own, is actually brewed elsewhere (so I am tempted to not list it) Yes, it is another franchise, and this one with somewhat less than mediocre beer. Food service is spotty. I've heard some very good and bad things about their food.

- THE QUARTER BARREL ARCADE AND BREWRY . Second Avenue S.E. Cedar Rapids (about 20 miles) This is a brewery that was crowd funded. Right now, I believe it to be holding its own. The beers I have tried have been reasonable, but have encountered at least one of their regular brews that seems to have a variable taste (when I tasted it most recently, I felt they had roasted their grain too long). Their Recon Belgian style ale is my 'go to' at this location. A fairly large number of guest taps available (including at least one other local brewery). Also maintains small stock of Cedar Ridge Whiskey (not sure if they have any official tie-in with that Distillery and Winery). Small selection of food (pizza is OK, the rest is... disappointing). Large number of vintage video games.

- IOWA BREWING COMPANY. 3rd Street S.E. Cedar Rapids (about 19 miles). Iowa Brewing took its time getting its equipment together and placing it in a revitalized building where it looks like they did quite a lot of work to the building's infrastructure. The brew vats are plainly seen from the tasting room (no glass, no separation wall except a 42" high wall... not sure how CR building inspection OKed this). The beer selection has been steadily improving. All that I have tasted have been of good quality. I've had no one beer of theirs that has stood out to me yet, but they are still young. They usually have a small handful of guest taps.

- LION BRIDGE BREWING - Czech Town in CR (16th avenue SW near the Czech Museum - about 18 miles). I like these people, but I've experienced varying enjoyment of their beers: I've been highly enthusiastic about some, and extremely disappointed in others. Oddly, this fellow (me) who considers himself VERY knowledgeable about beers, will not touch the principal brew from this brewery (Workman's Comp). STORY: when they first opened, I tried both the Nitro added and regular versions of Workman's Comp. I could not finish the small sampler glass (of either). To me, each tasted moldy. SINCE that time, Lion's Bridge has won a gold medal with this beer. I have tried the beer again since that time, and while it is still not my favorite, the moldy taste was gone (however, they do have two 'disaster' beers that have acquired this moldy taste.. another brewer I know believe that this is a certain kind of grain that when not properly used or properly stored, will sometimes taste moldy. That brewer tends to avoid that grain). They had a specialty beer that I did like last year called 'Iron Lion' I have not seen it on tap again at Lion Bridge, but have seen it elsewhere in the city as a guest tap. Iron Lion is quite an unusual 'Belgian style' ale with ginger added. I wonder if it started as a mistake, and now is a favorite of a small but well known minority? I also have found I enjoy the Kolsch that they have brewed for summer, it has a nice roasted taste without being overly strong. And now they use that Kolsch base and flavor it with Habiscus, which changes it entirely and makes me think of Lindemann's Framboise without the really sour notes. Anyhow, Lion Bridge has established itself as a brewery that isn't afraid to take risks. Despite my disdain for the Workman's Comp (a beer that some others really love), I intend to keep visiting Lion Bridge. Their food menu is steadily improving, and is noted for attempting to integrate local foods.

-TURNER ALLEY BREWING - This brewery is located somewhat off the beaten path in an industrial area of Cedar Rapids (12th Street S.W. between Wilson Ave and 33rd Avenue - about 18 miles). My understanding is that they have recently added a tasting room. Originally they were only going to sell their beer at local bars and restaurants (and while I have often at least one on tap, I have never seen all of their offerings together). The brewer and his financial backer have good reputations (the brewer having spent a few years brewing for Third Base Brewery during the era of the name change of that brewery and the vast improvement of the taste of the beer being offered there). Of the beers I have tried, I have never been offended by any of them. Since I have not done an intensive study of their beer, I have no favorite from their selection. Hopefully I can update this info at a later date.

Last edited:
Reactions: CysRage

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
(continuing the list started above)

- BIG GROVE BREWERY - Solon, Iowa (about 9 miles via Mehaffey Bridge). Although the proximity of this newly built brewery to the old and well respected "Stone City Brewery" that was once located in Solon is uncanny, I am told that there is absolutely no connection between the two breweries except that the former owners of Stone City Brewery do often frequent Big Grove. I have visited this bar, brewery and restaurant a couple of times, but have not been able to get a large enough sampling of their beer offerings to form an opinion. My experience from my visit to this place has always been satisfactory except that my billfold has felt quite a bit lighter. Very good food. This place remains a very popular (with the locals) and yet somewhat unknown (with those who do not know of it) little gem. Highly recommended if you have the cash and are in the area.

- MILLSTREAM BREWING COMPANY - Amana, Iowa (about 18 miles). Iowa's oldest brewery (which isn't saying much). Probably also the most well known of Iowa's breweries. The replacement of their old bottling machine with a brand new machine seems to have cured the problems they had with their bottled beer (sometimes tasting 'off'). Since that machine was replaced, the brewery has started expanding. They just purchased the old Colony Inn and will be serving food at that location. Not sure what this means for their adjacent beer garden and existing tasting room. On tap, I have very much enjoyed their Schild Brau, and Back Road Stout. Those who like IPAs a lot seem to be underwhelmed by their Iowa Pale Ale. The specialty Schokolade Bock and Octoberfest usually sell out quickly. I have seen a few other experimental beers from them, but they remain quite conservative (which may explain why they have been around longer than other breweries).

- BACKPOCKET BREWING. Coralville, Iowa (about 6 miles). Located not far off the interstate. I don't have a lot of personal experience with this brewery except for a few six packs of their standard beers (ALL of which I found to not be to my liking). I am told that although many of the bottled six packs are quite ordinary, the beers available at the brewery are much better. I have seen a few of their specialty brews for sale in Cedar Rapids at various locations. Almost all of those I have been very impressed with (and there was an 18% beer that I had which I don't remember as being a barley wine, but may have been, which I found to be very smooth and incredible). Apparently Backpocket has been mentioned to be considering a tasting room and experimental brewery in Cedar Rapids. With the large number of offerings in Cedar Rapids already, I find this news hard to believe. Yet more power to them if they believe they can swing it. I believe the brewery in Coralville has food.

- IOWA CITY BREWLAB. Iowa City (about 9 miles). I have not been to this brewery. At one point, I heard it was strictly for the use of local brewers to brew and sell their own beers from. (And there are several active brewers in the Iowa City area who no longer own breweries of their own: former brewer of Stone City, former brewers at Old Capitol Brewery, several brewclub types of some renown). I need more info about this place.

- KALONA BREWING COMPANY. Kalona, Iowa. (about 26 miles) Though I had low expectations for this brewery when it first showed up on the scene, I have been consistently impressed. They are known for the brews they distribute in small growler like screw top bottles, but they seem to be graduating to a different system involving cans. I have IPA loving friends who enjoy their Sucha Much quite often. Myself, I have found that their Lewbricator to be one of my 'go to' beers. Their You Be You Imperial stout was incredible. I have never visited their brewery, but the website claims a lunch and dinner menu. I also hope to gather more information about this brewery through a visit.

Other known or recently mentioned brewery possibilities:

-Unnamed brewery next to Bata's restaurant, Cedar Rapids - This was mentioned long before I knew of proposals for The Quarter Barrel or Iowa Brewing Company. Both of those locations are up and running, yet this location is not (in fact I have heard no name for it yet). I do know that the building that was to have housed this brewery has now been physically moved to a different location (where it remains on stilts awaiting its fate). A new building is being built at that location. I do not know who owns that new building or what the plans for the building are.

- The previously mentioned Cedar Rapids location of Backpocket Brewery's experimental brewery and tasting room. When I first heard of this, I was shocked. Apparently it may be located in the old Sokolovna Gymnasium building on third street S.E. This places it within 3 blocks of the Iowa Brewing Company, and about 5 blocks from The Quarter Barrel. With Iowa Brewing Company featuring a few of Backpocket's brews on tap, I wonder if this proposal has fallen by the wayside.

- Laureate Brewing Company, Iowa City. This apparently has fallen through from lack of funding. I imagine that the real problem with Laureate Brewing (aside from what I would call a lame name) is its proximity to the failed Old Capitol Brew Works (a brewery that was somehow tied to Great River from the quad cities, and which probably suffered from all of the dirty dealing and bad press suffered by Great River - however, I no clue if there is any tie to Great River or Old Capitol).

• Agree
Reactions: intrepid27

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Good stuff. I haven't been to many of them, but Lion Bridge is one of my favorites. About the only redeeming quality I can think of for Cedar Rapids, really :D

westlbcyclone

Jun 28, 2010
North Liberty
Big Grove is also expanding. They bought some building or other from the University of Iowa, actually in Iowa City, that will eventually be an expanded brewing space and a tasting room. They will continue to have the Solon location, but the Iowa City location will brew a LOT more beer, and have a lot more seating for people to enjoy.
From a May 9th, 2016 Iowa City Press-Citizen article: "work is expected to begin in June on the new brewery and taproom that will fill the former Iowa Hawk Shop Outlet space at 1225 S. Gilbert St."

They hope to have it done in 2016, but that is obviously a little fluid.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Could not agree with you more about Workman's Comp beer at Lion Bridge in Czech Village . I tried a sample and was not impressed. Kept hearing all the hype and went back 6 months later. Ordered a sample and the waitress screwed up and bought a pint instead. I told her not to worry about it and kept the pint. Baaaad mistake.

Really not overly impressed with any of their beers.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Thanks for the post(s). I live in Cedar Rapids. My brother lives in San Diego and loves to hit the bars when he comes to town. Usually he prefers the old classic bars like Little Bohemia and stuff like that. But a tour of breweries would probably be much to his liking. And he always likes to stop in the Amana Colonies to look for art.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I use to work with one of the owners of Big Grove. Great guy. He spent time in CA getting a culinary degree. Good food and beer.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
+1 on Big Grove. Although it is almost more restaurant than brewery, good beers and great food. Iowa Brewing Company is pretty good - try the Baltic Porter if they have it. Put me in the group of Lion's Bridge being not that great.

We should have a CF CR brewery crawl. That would be fun.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
cc1091, nice write up thanks for taking the time to post it. If I get over CR way I've got a place to start now.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Backpocket has been growing a fanbase by hosting a between town stop each day of RAGBRAI. Pretty smart idea to get your name and product out there.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
TWO more that I was unaware of:

- ReUNION BREWERY -516 E 2nd St,Coralville, IA. I have no further details.

-Van Houzen Brewing Co - Tiffin Iowa. Unsure if there is a tasting room, but apparently actively on tap at several Iowa City area locations. Says they will be launching a kickstarter campaign to enlarge their facilities.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't love Workmans Comp but I've had a lot of good brews from Lion Bridge. Coffee Disaster, Coffee Kundrea, Chanterelle Disaster, Click Bait, and Smoked Chocolate Stout.

Last year the owner spoke at the fair in the Iowa Craft Beer tent. Pretty interesting hearing the story of a guy just starting out.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I don't love Workmans Comp but I've had a lot of good brews from Lion Bridge. Coffee Disaster, Coffee Kundrea, Chanterelle Disaster, Click Bait, and Smoked Chocolate Stout.

Chantrelle Disaster and the Oyster Disaster are two of the current specialty offerings (one they claim was brewed especially for Houby Days, and they are still not finished with it), that to me taste very much like the very first batch of Workmans Comp. An ale that to me tastes very much as if it was brewed with expired (and perhaps moldy) grain.

I dunno.. some people love it.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Big Grove is excellent. If you are through Solon I highly recommend it..it may even be worth making the special trip from Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.

norseclone

Apr 11, 2006
Superior Township, MI
Just as an fyi, that's not at all what Iowa City Brewlab is. Opened recently and owned by a father and son brewing their own stuff. Decent beer, not great, but they've been constantly improving.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I live in CR and my thoughts are below:

Turner Alley > Iowa Brewing Company = Another Road > 3rd Base > Lion Bridge

And don't take that order as Lion Bridge sucks.

By the way, Turner Alley Brucemore Brown Ale is awesome.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Backpocket has been growing a fanbase by hosting a between town stop each day of RAGBRAI. Pretty smart idea to get your name and product out there.

Yeah, just about everyone kept talking about stopping at "Backpocket" when it was really the Iowa Craft Beer Tent but they sponsored.