Cell Phone "Junk" Messages ?

Statsman515

Jun 20, 2009
L A (Lovely Ames)
Help!!! Fot the past few weeks I have been getting "Junk" text messages like: "You can claim your gift card by calling ---" or "The first 1000 users to go to ---- will receive a free ---".
The real problem is the timing of these texts. Some come at 11:30 PM and some have come at 5:30 AM on a Sunday morning.
Is there a way to stop them?
Thanks for your help.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
Go to the website and there is usually a link where you can "Unsubscribe"

Or you can text back "Unsubscribe" or "Stop"

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Root your Android phone and block all messages from that number

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Root your Android phone and block all messages from that number

I've had text problems too. Unfortunately they use a different number each time. I wish there was a way to set my OWN filters, like in email.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
Within the past two weeks I've gotten two texts that said "Hey baby." The first time I texted back asn asked who it was. I got an innappropriate response about what we suposedly did the night before. I thought it was a buddy messing with me. It was a 515 area code. I just.

I'm more worried about getting that text and my wife seeing it. That could be an uncomfortable conversation.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I got a spam text at 7:00 today telling me "yes it's true, we are giving away from ipads" and a website to go register. Good thing I wasn't sleeping. I'm another person who is not in the position where I can shut off / silence my phone at night.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
They use google voice numbers to send these out via software that randomly generated your numver. They make between $1-$3 per person that signs up.

Turbo

Jan 10, 2011
Ames
I thought this thread would be about getting unsolicited pictures of "junk", which would be a major problem

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
No idea what carrier you are on, but here is some helpful info that I have used on Sprint. I was looking for ways to handle a similar problem just last week.

Block or allow text messages from your phone

This should allow you to block text messages from all email addresses with a single command (most of this spam seems to originate from a web address and not a number). Or, if it is coming from a couple specific short codes or phone numbers, you can block those as well.

I would guess other carriers offer similar functionality if you do a little searching.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
They use google voice numbers to send these out via software that randomly generated your numver. They make between $1-$3 per person that signs up.

I've heard that, like email spam, it actually makes it worse if you try to unsubscribe. They then realize it's an actual number, and use it for other purposes. I don't have any evidence to support that, however.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
I have found that the apps with ads that I download, share my number. MP3 Music Download, Words With Friends and Draw Something are the main ones.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
No idea what carrier you are on, but here is some helpful info that I have used on Sprint. I was looking for ways to handle a similar problem just last week.

Block or allow text messages from your phone

This should allow you to block text messages from all email addresses with a single command (most of this spam seems to originate from a web address and not a number). Or, if it is coming from a couple specific short codes or phone numbers, you can block those as well.

I would guess other carriers offer similar functionality if you do a little searching.

I was getting fed up with the junk texts that I was getting. I followed the above link and changed my preferences with Sprint so that NO texts are sent or received by our cell phones. Took care of those turkeys!:mad:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've heard that, like email spam, it actually makes it worse if you try to unsubscribe. They then realize it's an actual number, and use it for other purposes. I don't have any evidence to support that, however.
I have heard the same thing- so I didn't respond in any way and after about 1 week they stopped. Haven't had any now for about three weeks.