Cell phone signal booster

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
My call quality with T-mobile is horrible in my home. Has anyone had any luck with a cell phone signal booster? TIA

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My call quality with T-mobile is horrible in my home. Has anyone had any luck with a cell phone signal booster? TIA

Years ago (10 maybe?) Sprint provided me with a booster for my home and it worked great! No charge. Does T-Mobile offer that type of device? I remember it hooking up through my internet...looked like a router type thing.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
With WiFi calling capabilities being available on practically any smart phone for many years now, I don't think there is much support or demand for these in home solutions. Just make sure to turn on wifi calling in your phone settings and connect to your home network.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
Wifi calling is excellent BTW if you have access to it.

Not to hijack this thread, but I need to find a reasonable booster option for when I am boondocking off grid as there are parts of NE Iowa and in the Western USA where Verizon cell service is bad to nonexistent. I want to work at times when off grid. I need to look into this option again...same info/system may help the OP.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
With WiFi calling capabilities being available on practically any smart phone for many years now, I don't think there is much support or demand for these in home solutions. Just make sure to turn on wifi calling in your phone settings and connect to your home network.

I didn't know wifi calling was a thing. I just enabled it. Thank you!

Reactions: Yaz

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Wifi calling is excellent BTW if you have access to it.

Not to hijack this thread, but I need to find a reasonable booster option for when I am boondocking off grid as there are parts of NE Iowa and in the Western USA where Verizon cell service is bad to nonexistent. I want to work at times when off grid. I need to look into this option again...same info/system may help the OP.
I have an older WeBoost Drive 4X. It works well enough in the boondocks, but has/had a couple of annoying issues:

1) It was originally advertised as boosting Sprint, but as it turns out, one of Sprint's primary frequencies was just outside of the range of frequencies that this thing boosted, so it really didn't boost Sprint. I switched to Verizon, and Sprint is now gone. I don't know if that frequency is still in use by T-Mobile, or if this issue has been fixed in newer models if that frequency is still in use.

2) When driving through a town and going by a cell tower, a strong tower signal creates feedback, and the booster shuts that cell frequency down to protect the booster. However, when far enough away from the tower, the booster does not turn that frequency back on automatically; a power cycle is required. This is rather annoying, because unless you are constantly checking the booster, you do not know if a frequency has been shut down. When traveling, one frequently goes through towns with good service, so the booster gets shut down frequently.

• Informative
Reactions: Yaz

Help Support Us

Become a patron