Central Iowa media have just been appalling

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I dont know anyone in the media that wants to see ISU not be in a BCS league. Not one. It's good for radio and good for TV for ISU to be in a league like that, in addition to being good for the fans.

RE: KC...KC sports media, specifically sports radio, is pretty spooked by this..and should be. They have the Chiefs, and that will keep them afloat...but KC is a Big 12 melting pot..or Big 8...it has been a great sports talk town because of that. You start splitting that apart, potentially splitting KU and MU apart into different leagues, and there is a huge unknown there.

Just imagine the economic loss from never having Big 12 basketball or football ever again in KC

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
This is why Iowa fans hate you guys... most rational football fans will give credit where credit is due. I will even give ISU credit when it's due. What major bowl games have Nebraska and ND gone to recently and won? That's what I thought. We may have lost to Northwestern this year after our starting QB got hurt but we still went 11-2 and beat the ACC champs in the Orange Bowl. ISU fans are ridiculous because you think other programs around the country don't respect Iowa football. I am not saying that Iowa is a bigger name than those two schools but it's not like either one has been very relevant the last few years. Don't forget about what happened to Penn State too. If you can actually use your brain for a second and remember that Penn State was a freaking powerhouse independent school before they joined the Big Ten. They are still tough but not exactly like they are going undefeated and winning national titles. Playing a full conference slate in the Big Ten can be brutal and no one knows how either of these schools will hold up. Notre Dame has been afraid for years to join the Big Ten and you know that has something to do with it. You can't go and schedule whoever you want, win 2 quality games and get into a major bowl when you play in the Big Ten and they know this.

Good gawd, get over yourself, shortmeat.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Well first off, i completely understand that the media, does not intentionally slight ISU, they are giving the "apparent truth" at hand, (something i wish i could make sense of othe than another kick to the already badly bruised stones of ISU)....But the problem have with it comes from a great saying, "its not what you say but how you say it...." It really seems like the Central Iowa Media, seems to want to see, a reference that was made earlier in the week on the Miller and Deace show along the lines of, how fast can we shove ISU's nose in their own waste over and over again? The condescension also doesn't help the cause, from the arrogant fans of that other university.....Another irritant is the fact of the Iowa politicians helping campaign ISU to the best possible conferences, and saying that "these politicians have more pressing matters at hand....so on and so forth..." I'd like to point out that these people who complaining, have tax dollars that are going to ISU whether they like it or not and that the helping from the politicians can help the economy of Iowa if they can get ISU into another BCS conference, because the money earned will trickle back into the Iowa economy.....

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
You must have some ideas and examples. What can the media do that will actually matter as it relates to Iowa State and expansion? Or any school and expansion?

What Jon Miller could do:

1. Educate his audience on the benefit of having ISU in a BCS conferenc:
a - Money coming into the state is good for all
b - Beating ISU may mean something if they get competive again.
c - Keeping the elite wrestlers in Iowa (I don't think that most uofi fans realize the strenght of wrestling out east.

2. Bring out the positives of ISU athletics. They are currently 31 in the Director's cup standings (20+ positions ahead of uofi).
a - Have shown some football aptitude
b - Have had good MBB teams
c - Have had or do have good track, vb, wbb, gym programs
d - Had the 26th highest MBB ticket sales in the country

3. Review the conferences that ISU might be eligible for and how they would fit and what it would mean.
a - Big XII continue?
b - Big East
c - MWC
d - SEC

4. Review how ISU could get the conference support that uofi gets.
a - Big East network
b - ...

Heck, it appears that some of this is happening just because of stories on the internet. Maybe you could get your name on one of these stories and prove to be more than you are now...

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I dont know anyone in the media that wants to see ISU not be in a BCS league. Not one. It's good for radio and good for TV for ISU to be in a league like that, in addition to being good for the fans.

RE: KC...KC sports media, specifically sports radio, is pretty spooked by this..and should be. They have the Chiefs, and that will keep them afloat...but KC is a Big 12 melting pot..or Big 8...it has been a great sports talk town because of that. You start splitting that apart, potentially splitting KU and MU apart into different leagues, and there is a huge unknown there.

Your buddy Matt P is pimping the MWC pretty hard for ISU. I heard the first few minutes of his review with a Big East person and he was trying pretty hard to downplay any improvement that more football teams would add to the Big East. I will download that when it becomes available, but he has pretty much openly mocked any idea of ISU to the Big Ten, Big East, or any other BCS school.

Also, Murph and Andy implicated a few local media members that would enjoy ISU being degraded. I am sure Jimmy Z falls into that mold, but pretty sure there are couple more out there. I wish they would have named names, but fully understand why they didn't.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
It's tiring hearing Miller orgasm every morning about Iowa and their cash cow network. At least replace him with a woman so I get some sort of payoff.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Thanks to Mike Hlas for his nice column!

There’s no cause for Hawkeyes to be scornful of Cyclones other than pure rivalry reasons

Posted on Jun 07, 2010 by Mike Hlas.
I had a phone message waiting for me Monday from someone who suggested Iowa State should just join Northern Iowa (presumably as a basketball mid-major and football FCS program).
Sure, great idea. I’m sure ISU will get right on that.
I get the occasional catty remark about ISU on this blog from Iowa Hawkeye fans, people suggesting Iowa State should go to the Mid-American Conference or something of the sort.
No real offense should be taken. Rivalries are rivalries. Hawkeyes ridicule Cyclones and vice versa, just like rivals do in
Cy looks irritated, and with reason

Florida, Texas, Oregon and everywhere else.
But I think there is a small segment of Iowa fans that really does believe Iowa State is some kind of second-class citizen in college sports. They are deluded.
In the 2000s, Iowa State went to six bowl games. Granted, none were played in January. But that’s more bowls than Michigan State, Northwestern, Illinois or Indiana went to last decade.
In the 2000s, Iowa State and Iowa played each other 10 times in football. Each side won five. No excuses. Everyone, almost, has ups and downs. Over a decade, they split 10 games.
In the 2000s, ISU and Iowa met in men’s basketball 11 times thanks to one NIT battle. Iowa won six, Iowa State five.
In the 2000s, Iowa won shares of two Big Ten football titles, while ISU won no Big 12 championship.
But in the 2000s, ISU won two regular-season Big 12 men’s basketball crowns, while Iowa won none.
As mediocre as Cyclone men’s basketball was the last three years, Iowa’s was worse.
I’ve heard many putdowns of ISU’s Jack Trice Stadium from Iowa fans over the years. Trice isn’t a great stadium. But Iowa State averaged more fans per game than 15 other teams from BCS leagues, and had similar numbers to several others, including Miami and Arizona State. Iowa State outdrew three teams (Boise State, Cincinnati, TCU) that went to BCS bowls.
That’s not eye-opening stuff, but merely a reminder that Ames isn’t exactly a football graveyard. Not when it’s coming off a five-win improvement capped by a win in a bowl game over a Big Ten team, Minnesota.
What I’m trying to say is, Iowa State isn’t some fly-by-night athletic program. It has been, overall, a competitive program in a BCS conference. To suggest it deserves to be tossed to the wayside because it could fall through the cracks if the still-theoretical annexation of six Big 12 teams is made by the Pac-10 is absurd.
If — and it hasn’t happened yet, sports fans — Iowa State is left in the cold by conference expansion, the state of Iowa will be diminished whether non-sports fans believe it or not. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. Maybe it’s inevitable.
But if you think it’s a good thing, you may not be a reasonable person.

Why haven't I heard ANYTHING like this from the Central Iowa media? I work a lot and don't get a chance to listen to M&D or M&A, or the noon show on 1700, but the others are mostly throwing ISU under the bus and assuming or predicting that they will end up in a non-BCS conference. I don't get this. BCS for ISU = more money in Iowa, more care about bowl games, more chances to get to go to bowl games, better chances at NCAA, and on and on.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
What exactly do you think the media should be doing and would it remotely matter?

Here is something else that you could do: Can you tell your uofi brethren that they should support ISU or at least not be against them? We are, afterall, all Iowans. I have heard you say this many time to ISU fans but (not that I have listened to everything you have ever written / said) have never heard you chastise your fellow uofi fan like you have ISU fans.

CarlSpackler

Dec 19, 2008
M-Town, Ia
It's amazing listening to K.C. radio and media how they support their LOCAL teams! Sports coverage in DSM market is a joke and they don't realize how good they had it! Good luck trying to cover Eastern Iowa U. and getting into Fort Kinnick!

Go Clones!

No kidding. Since all this has started, I've been listening to sports talk 810 out of Kansas City. It's amazing to hear the difference between good sports radio and the pathetic version we get in central Iowa. I will keep listening to them and will try to never tune to KXNO again.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
I agree, I can't wait until I see a Hawk fan start crying about why they can't play Indiana, and NW every year, simply because they have to begin accepting losses in Lincoln, Nebraska. (or IC)

This is somewhat inaccurate. Iowa already doesn't play those schools every year due to the rotating schedule in the Big 10. Also, Iowa has been better than Nebraska this entire decade so I don't see how they will lose to Nebraska every year. I'm a bit miffed that Cyclone fans would rather see Iowa lose than see Nebraska lose.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
This is somewhat inaccurate. Iowa already doesn't play those schools every year due to the rotating schedule in the Big 10. Also, Iowa has been better than Nebraska this entire decade so I don't see how they will lose to Nebraska every year. I'm a bit miffed that Cyclone fans would rather see Iowa lose than see Nebraska lose.

And I am a bit miffed that uofi fan would rather see ISU in C-USA than another BCS conference!

I am also a bit miffed that uofi would consider dropping the ISU game!

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
And I am a bit miffed that uofi fan would rather see ISU in C-USA than another BCS conference!

I am also a bit miffed that uofi would consider dropping the ISU game!

I enjoy rooting for all of the state's teams. Pretty much the entire country views the entire population of Iowa as "hicks" so I think it is best for all parties to support each other. I know it won't happen (kind of like Republicans and Democrats hating each other despite the fact we are all on the same side in war and everything else), but it is a nice thought. I lean Hawkeye when the Cyclones and Hawkeyes play, but I fully support Iowa State outside of those games.

I would be happy with the Cyclones in the Big 10 although it is pretty much a pipe dream at this point. I very much hope the Cyclones land on their feet in a Mountain West conference that becomes a BCS conference, or else the Big East, which already is. Or, best case, the Big 12 keeps the 10 teams it still has and stays at 10, or else grabs 2 more to get back to 12.

And I would HATE to see the Iowa/ISU game stop just because of potential conference changes. It is a great matchup that brings the entire state's attention to one event, and generates a lot of revenue.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
What Jon Miller could do:

1. Educate his audience on the benefit of having ISU in a BCS conferenc:
a - Money coming into the state is good for all
b - Beating ISU may mean something if they get competive again.
c - Keeping the elite wrestlers in Iowa (I don't think that most uofi fans realize the strenght of wrestling out east.

2. Bring out the positives of ISU athletics. They are currently 31 in the Director's cup standings (20+ positions ahead of uofi).
a - Have shown some football aptitude
b - Have had good MBB teams
c - Have had or do have good track, vb, wbb, gym programs
d - Had the 26th highest MBB ticket sales in the country

3. Review the conferences that ISU might be eligible for and how they would fit and what it would mean.
a - Big XII continue?
b - Big East
c - MWC
d - SEC

4. Review how ISU could get the conference support that uofi gets.
a - Big East network
b - ...

Heck, it appears that some of this is happening just because of stories on the internet. Maybe you could get your name on one of these stories and prove to be more than you are now...
If things go south in leagues, I could see fewer decent bowls for both Iowa teams.

rfrank2453

Jun 12, 2010
Hawkeye Fan here..... I completely get the anger over the media. If this were happening to any Iowa school..... ISU, Iowa, UNI or Drake.... they (media) at the least should be concerned and have it front and center.

I have read many threads here and share the concern over the potential loss of a BCS affiliation. No BCS.....kills recruiting, leads to being less competitive, leads to terrible schedule arrangments, leads to less $$.

I don't think this will affect the academics. ISU is and will remain a; Top Flight Ag School and Vet Center, Solid Engineering school and a better than average academic institution in all other areas. Remember....the rise of Football prowess at TTech has increased enrollment....it has not improved academics. It remains a terrible academic institution.

My question to the Cyclone faithful..... do you have the same anger towards your School leadership as you have demonstrated towards the media? AD? Alumni Association? Your leadership allowed ISU to be locally below average.... nationally irrelevant. A once proud basketball school has been a revolving door. Is your Alumni Association active? My Wife's relatives are very affluent ISU Grads..... they have zero connection today with ISU..... these folks are big into public service etc.

Your anger towards the AD and U leadership should be 10 fold what it is towards the media. Your AD is driving the bus. The AD should be held accountable.

I want the ISU vs Iowa rivalry to continue at the high level of competition we have today. ISU in CUSA is a long term death nail to the annual Football rivalry. This is one Hawkeye in your corner......

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
This is somewhat inaccurate. Iowa already doesn't play those schools every year due to the rotating schedule in the Big 10. Also, Iowa has been better than Nebraska this entire decade so I don't see how they will lose to Nebraska every year.

2000-2009 records

Iowa 80-45 .640%

Nebraska 84-44 .65625%

Think the people at Nebraska would beg to differ.

goldmember

May 31, 2006

I do a lot of business in KC, and they are definitely concerned in that town. The impact on their local economy could be immense.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
2000-2009 records

Iowa 80-45 .640%

Nebraska 84-44 .65625%

Wow... that tells you a lot about these programs.

Iowa has probably had their best decade ever, and Nebraska one of their worst. But yet, Nebraska still had a better record.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
2000-2009 records

Iowa 80-45 .640%

Nebraska 84-44 .65625%

If you go off those dates, then yes. However, most people take the "1" numbered year as the start of a decade. Kind of like how when you count to ten you don't start with zero. 1991-2000 was last decade, and therefore 2001-2010 would be this decade. In that case Iowa is 77-36 and Nebraska is 74-42, with the 2010 season yet to be played. Iowa has also been bowl eligible every year this decade while Nebraska has had 2 seasons where they weren't. Iowa has also played in 2 BCS bowls to Nebraska's 1. It's even more impressive when you consider that Nebraska is one of the all time greatest football programs and their name alone gets the top recruits to come there. Ferentz has had to take 2 and 3 star recruits and mold them into great players. Overall, the Iowa/Nebraska rivalry should be a great one. Both teams are currently top 10-ish, and very relevant on the national scene.