CFB Rule Changes 2023

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
The NCAA is voted on rule changes today for the 2023 season. The big one that passed is changing the clock stoppage after a first down. Now a first down will have a running clock EXCEPT for in the final two minutes of each half, where the clock will be stopped on gaining a first down.

The other accepted rule changes are:
  • One team is no longer allowed to call consecutive time outs. So no more 3 time out icing the kicker.
  • Fouls at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters will carry over into the next quarter instead of resulting in an untimed down.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I don't think the clock rule will actually make much difference. They've been pretty much instantly winding it outside of the last two minutes for years now. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds per first down?

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't think the clock rule will actually make much difference. They've been pretty much instantly winding it outside of the last two minutes for years now. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds per first down?
I saw a quote from Tulane's AD that they expect this to result is 7 or 8 fewer plays per game. Over the last 3 seasons, CFB games have averaged 180 plays per game, so this will be about 4-5% fewer plays, or about one fewer possession in each game.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Every time there is a change of possession, a 3 minute TV timeout. End of quarters, a 3 minute TV timeout. Cut it to 1 and run CGI ads after that, Probably cut game time by 15 to 20 minutes easily, and still run plays, because we enjoy football for the plays, not the commercials or watching the ref stand in the middle of the field for 2:45.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Their only goal here is the shorten to game window without having to take away commercials.

Id rather they do CGI ads like soccer and hockey and have less media timeouts. Shorter game time would lead to better viewership imo even if the CGI ads are a little intrusive at times
I agree with this, particularly for the in-person experience. More picture-in-picture and digital adds around the field, while reducing the length of stoppages during the quarters. Hell, if they need to add a little more time for between quarters and at half, I can live with that. At least that is an expected down time.

Reactions: ISUcyclones11

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

They've gone from waiting 10+ seconds for the chain gang to get set, to winding it immediately once the spot is set. Chain gang is no longer part of that equation, so it's been as little as 3 seconds recently.