CFP Rule Changes

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Does anyone know the process for changing the rules and requirements for making it into the CFP? Obviously they can be changed with recent talks of going to 12 teams.

Reason I ask is the rest of the country (non-SEC) should band together to lobby for a requirement to be a conference champion to be CFP-eligible. It serves a few purposes. I truly think this is the only way to “force” parity across conferences and stop super-conferences from forming. You want to stack the SEC? Go ahead, make your money, but you will only get 1 team in the CFP. The other purpose this serves is to screw over Texas and OU after they tried to dismantle our conference.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
GOVERNANCE
University presidents and chancellors from all 10 FBS conferences and Notre Dame serve as the Board of Managers and govern the administrative operations, with commissioners (the Management Committee) managing the event. A small staff in the CFP office in Irving, Texas, carries out the day-to-day responsibilities.

THE COMPANY
CFP Administration, LLC, manages the administration operations of the College Football Playoff. Members of the company are the 10 FBS conferences (American Athletic, Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, Pac-12, Southeastern and Sun Belt) and the University of Notre Dame.

THE BOARD OF MANAGERS [2020-21]
(11 university presidents and chancellors)
The company’s business, property and affairs are governed by the Board of Managers. The board develops, reviews and approves annual budgets, policies and operating guidelines. It also appoints and removes officers of the company. It has authority over all aspects of the company’s operations.

• Eric Barron – President, Penn State University (Big Ten)
• Rodney Bennett – President, University of Southern Mississippi (C-USA)
• Joe Castro – President, Fresno State (Mountain West)
• Gordon Gee – President, West Virginia University (Big 12)
• Jack Hawkins – Chancellor, Troy University (Sun Belt)
• Rev. John Jenkins – President, University of Notre Dame (Independent)
• Mark Keenum (chair) – President, Mississippi State University (SEC)
• Kirk Schulz – President, Washington State University (Pac-12)
• John Thrasher – President, Florida State University (ACC)
• Satish Tripathi – President, University at Buffalo (MAC)
• R. Gerald Turner – President, Southern Methodist University (American Athletic)

MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE [2020-21]
(10 conference commissioners and Notre Dame athletics director)
The Management Committee manages the day-to-day operations of the company. It has authority over those aspects of the company’s operations that are not reserved exclusively for the board, but all of its decisions are subject to review by the board.

• Mike Aresco – Commissioner (American Athletic)
• Bob Bowlsby – Commissioner (Big 12)
• Keith Gill – Commissioner (Sun Belt)
• Judy MacLeod – Commissioner (C-USA)
• Greg Sankey – Commissioner (SEC)
• Larry Scott – Commissioner (Pac-12)
• Jon Steinbrecher – Commissioner (MAC)
• Jack Swarbrick – Athletics Director (Notre Dame)
• John Swofford – Commissioner (ACC)
• Craig Thompson – Commissioner (Mountain West)
• Kevin Warren – Commissioner (Big Ten)

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I don’t see conference champs only being a realistic option, but some cap on at-large teams per conference might be.

12-team playoff, top 6 ranked conference champs are in (top 4 of them get byes) and 6 at-larges, but no more than 2 at-larges per conference. Guarantees at least 3 conferences will get an at-large team, and effectively caps the SEC or any one conference at 3 teams (25% of the playoff).

Added bonus that this would keep a new-look Big 12 viable; the league would get 1 team pretty much every year and 2 teams in many years.

Reactions: cyclones500

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
At this point, I think it went from the planning stages, to completely up in the air. The other conferences are (and should be) wary of the SEC's intentions, and I think the playoff rules will probably reflect that to an extent.
The power brokers in the other conferences need to hold some kind of line, unless of course they are in bed with the SEC too. Which is why I thank the sweet baby Jesus that JP appears to be a high leveraged AD, hence that committee or whatever he was appointed the head of. Maybe that’s a nothingburger too but I’m looking anywhere for hope.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
The power brokers in the other conferences need to hold some kind of line, unless of course they are in bed with the SEC too. Which is why I thank the sweet baby Jesus that JP appears to be a high leveraged AD, hence that committee or whatever he was appointed the head of. Maybe that’s a nothingburger too but I’m looking anywhere for hope.
I would say the ACC would agree with the SEC for the 12 team playoff as they in the past have followed the SEC wherever they go and are controlled by ESPN. However, their breadwinner's team's coach, Aw Shucks Dabo, doesn't like the 12 team playoff. All other P5 will not approve too.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t see conference champs only being a realistic option, but some cap on at-large teams per conference might be.

12-team playoff, top 6 ranked conference champs are in (top 4 of them get byes) and 6 at-larges, but no more than 2 at-larges per conference. Guarantees at least 3 conferences will get an at-large team, and effectively caps the SEC or any one conference at 3 teams (25% of the playoff).

Added bonus that this would keep a new-look Big 12 viable; the league would get 1 team pretty much every year and 2 teams in many years.

Feels like the jump to 12 was all based on the OU/UT move. Now that's been flushed out, do other conferences take a step back and ask why that narrative was pushed so hard? I wonder if this now goes back to 8 (5 AQ, 3 At large) with a 2 team cap. That is the best thing that the Big10 and ACC could do to keep the SEC from attempting a super league.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
I still hate this notion that certain conferences “deserve” to have extra teams in the CFP, and yes I mostly mean the SEC. Here’s how it works: SEC teams get high preseason rankings because of reputation; as they beat each other the winners get a rankings boost and the losers don’t take as much of a hit, because they all started out high to begin with; they get breathers with FCS opponents in the middle of their season; voila, they have teams unable to even win their division ranked so high fans declare they “deserve the chance” for a CFP spot.

You can have a 12-team playoff, but you’re picking (non-championship) entrants based on reputation more than actual performance. In my opinion, which counts for nothing, I think a berth in the CFP ought to be earned - by winning your conference. Make conference championship games a CFP play-in round. Make winning a prerequisite for a shot at the national championship. If Georgia or Penn State or Oregon can‘t even win their division, let alone their conference, why should they be in the discussion for national champion? Somebody in their own division already “proved” they were better!

In case you couldn’t tell, I’d be in favor of a 6-team CFP. I might be able to be convinced of an 8-team field (which would include somebody who didn’t win their conference), but you don’t need more than that.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Still don't get why a conference with 14 (soon to be 16) schools can't play more than 8 conference games.
Agree completely. Believe SEC has agreed to 9 games. I would be surprised, with the enormous $ that ESPN is laying out to televise SEC games, that ESPN doesn't push for 10 games. When a network lays out that kind of coin, ratings is important to maximize ad revenue.

IMO the playoff committee needs to standardize requirements to be eligible for playoff:
- at least 10 games against P5 opponents.
- max of 1 game against FCS level teams.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90