CFTV: Hoiberg presser after Texas scare

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
If you think this team is winning the conference title, you're delusional.

What remaining road game are we going to win?

I think they could get hot in March, but they've shown their true colors. They don't focus 40 minutes, they don't take lesser opponents seriously, and they aren't good enough defensively to get away with it.

Stranger things have happened.

How would you feel if they would've hit a 3 at the end of the TT game to tie and then won in OT? Obviously they overlooked TT but the win at WVU is bigger than people are giving them credit for...

I agree with you about their focus...that reared it's ugly head last night in the last 5-10 minutes when they gave up wide open 3s, let Texas have open lanes to the bucket, and looked lackadaisical on offense...that seems to happen at some point every game...

BUT, the last 2-3 years Fred's teams have gotten much better as the season wore on...they've had these same problems early in the conference season only to be playing their best basketball by the end of the season.

At 5-2 in the conference they are ahead of where they've been in the past so a conference title is not out of the question...not saying it's going to happen, but if their trend of playing their best at the end of the season continues, it's possible.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
You aren't serious, are you? I'd say, if nothing else but looking at ISU's history, getting to a final four is a lot harder and more of an accomplishment than winning the conference. Not that we win the conference all that often, but it has happened in my lifetime at least.

Is anyone here still alive that remembers the last ISU trip to the final four? And that was with what, 1/8 of the teams they have now?

If nothing else, if we win the conference, there are two fan bases that will remember that next year. ISU and Kansas. The rest of the country won't care. Just like I couldn't tell you who won the Big 10 or the Pac 12 last year. But the Final four was UConn, Wisconsin, Kentucky and Florida. With UConn winning it all. And I have no idea if UConn won their conference or not. Not even sure what conference they are in now.

Spot on. As an FYI UConn was (and still is) in the American Athletic Conference. Last year they finished tied for 3rd in the conference at 12-6. Louisville and Cincinnati tied for first in the conference at 15-3. Do you think Louisville and Cincinnati would trade places with UConn?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I'm still trying to figure out how winning the conference and a 2 seed means we lose in the round of 32, yet finishing second gets us to the final four?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Good grief.

Well feel free to explain it.

People are complaining because our play is making a conference championship (a stated goal of the team btw) a far more difficult task. And the retort is "i'd rather have a FF" as if it's a given that we'll flip a switch in March. And all in the context that people talking about the loss on Saturday, or the let down last night - will somehow drive Fred off from ISU.

Last edited:

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Well feel free to explain it.

People are complaining because our play is making a conference championship (a stated goal of the team btw) a far more difficult task. And the retort is "i'd rather have a FF" as if it's a given that we'll flip a switch in March. And all in the context that people talking about the loss on Saturday, or the let down last night - will somehow drive Fred off from ISU.

You are still lost.
No one is saying it is a given. Guess what? Winning a conference is not a given, nor is it a given you are better prepared to make a FF run (see 2000-01)
It is simple. Which is the bigger accomplishment, a FF or conference title? Both are stated goals btw. The primary objective is to get to a FF. A B12 would be nice, but mostly because of what it means in regards to the team's ability to get to a FF.

kyle22kjs

Nov 2, 2012
Duke lost to NC State
Wisconsin lost to Rutgers
Iowa State lost to Texas Tech

My point. Good teams lose some games. My honest opinion all of the games we've lost hasn't been because they don't have the "talent" to win the game. It was they were not focused, and if you can't look at the first 32 minutes of the game last night and realize the full potential of this team, then well, you're blind and know nothing. I believe they had a moment after the Texas Tech game and realized, well we need to put everything into it, we're good but not that good.

We scored 89 points on a team that had the 16th best defense in the nation. Was also the 2nd tallest team in the nation, and they made 10 3 point shots. If you told me before the game they would make 10 3 point shots, I'd tell you we would've lost by 10 or more.

I also have a theory we don't play well in arenas that don't have a good atmosphere.... needs to change yes but come on people. Enjoy the damn ride

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
You are still lost.
No one is saying it is a given. Guess what? Winning a conference is not a given, nor is it a given you are better prepared to make a FF run (see 2000-01)
It is simple. Which is the bigger accomplishment, a FF or conference title? Both are stated goals btw. The primary objective is to get to a FF. A B12 would be nice, but mostly because of what it means in regards to the team's ability to get to a FF.

I can cherry pick as well. Look at the 99-00 team. Reg season, tourney champ and elite 8. Best finish in what.. 70 years?

I agree with the above person. Which is a bigger accomplishment? conf reg season. Particularly in a power 5. Which is more prestigious? Final 4 I suppose, although I'd bet half the people here couldn't tell you who was in the Final 4 last year without looking it up.

End of the day however, I'm of a similar mindset. FF is great and all, but if you don't win the whole thing, what have you really accomplished? Great - we were runner up or semi finals runner ups. 4 wins to get to the Final Four. One probably over a pretty inferior opponent.

Win over the long haul of an 18 game, double round robin in the toughest conference in the country?

Sure - nobody outside the team itself cares who won the conference last year. I get that. But guess what - nobody outside the team really remembers who was "the other two" in the Final 4 back when either.

Of course the ultimate is national championship - which is what Fred talked about at the beginning of the season, not the final 4. I'd trade the conf for that everytime. Goes without saying.

I suppose I'm just not in awe of the Final 4.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Stranger things have happened.

How would you feel if they would've hit a 3 at the end of the TT game to tie and then won in OT? Obviously they overlooked TT but the win at WVU is bigger than people are giving them credit for...

I agree with you about their focus...that reared it's ugly head last night in the last 5-10 minutes when they gave up wide open 3s, let Texas have open lanes to the bucket, and looked lackadaisical on offense...that seems to happen at some point every game...

BUT, the last 2-3 years Fred's teams have gotten much better as the season wore on...they've had these same problems early in the conference season only to be playing their best basketball by the end of the season.

At 5-2 in the conference they are ahead of where they've been in the past so a conference title is not out of the question...not saying it's going to happen, but if their trend of playing their best at the end of the season continues, it's possible.

But we didn't do those things. We should be undefeated in the conference, but we're not. There's a reason, and it isn't just dumb luck.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I can cherry pick as well. Look at the 99-00 team. Reg season, tourney champ and elite 8. Best finish in what.. 70 years?

I agree with the above person. Which is a bigger accomplishment? conf reg season. Particularly in a power 5. Which is more prestigious? Final 4 I suppose, although I'd bet half the people here couldn't tell you who was in the Final 4 last year without looking it up.

End of the day however, I'm of a similar mindset. FF is great and all, but if you don't win the whole thing, what have you really accomplished? Great - we were runner up or semi finals runner ups. 4 wins to get to the Final Four. One probably over a pretty inferior opponent.

Win over the long haul of an 18 game, double round robin in the toughest conference in the country?

Sure - nobody outside the team itself cares who won the conference last year. I get that. But guess what - nobody outside the team really remembers who was "the other two" in the Final 4 back when either.

Of course the ultimate is national championship - which is what Fred talked about at the beginning of the season, not the final 4. I'd trade the conf for that everytime. Goes without saying.

I suppose I'm just not in awe of the Final 4.

It is clear you are still wanting to think people are suggesting causation. It is about which you value the most. In that context, the Big 12 title is nothing unless you do well in the tournament. Hence the hypotheticals to express as much. I'd take last year over 2000-01 every time.