Changing career course to project management (advice needed)

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
So, my degree is in supply chain management and I've been in the field for 6 years, but I'd like to shift to the project management world. I looked into trying to go and get a PMP certification, however you need to have experience in the field, plus additional education credits to even be able to take the test. With that, I'm looking to get some feedback from someone that maybe has made this transition. And for what it's worth, I'm not interested in pursuing PM jobs with my current employer.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'll be that guy -- check into the Agile world as well. You can take existing PM skills and transition into Agile ways of working. One of my best Agile SM's is a former PM.

But if you want PM, certainly do it. Still a good, lucrative, long-lasting field to be in.

CycloneCJ

Jan 21, 2008
Plymouth, MN
I'll be that guy -- check into the Agile world as well. You can take existing PM skills and transition into Agile ways of working. One of my best Agile SM's is a former PM.

But if you want PM, certainly do it. Still a good, lucrative, long-lasting field to be in.

Agree with this post. In the Agile world it's typically referred to as Product Management. Most large companies are going to Agile, especially in their tech areas.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
PMP here, you can most likely make your existing experience work as project management experience. It’s all about how you word it, specifically using the PMI process names and buzzwords. Let me know if you have any questions.