Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The Top of Iowa conference was a very stupid move for the North Iowa conference teams. Wrestling was the driver, but even that is falling apart with Belmond sending their wrestlers to Clarion, Garrigan lying about starting up a wrestling team and never having one so they could enter, Rockford leaving and the looks of others possibly joining or quitting wrestling. The NI conference was fine and the idiots who pushed for the top of Iowa should be taken behind the woodshed.
TI is basically North Iowa + Corn Bowl with a couple falling off in either direction, right?

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
this is gonna keep happening until the small schools start joining together

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
this is gonna keep happening until the small schools start joining together
Yeah. Some of these smaller schools have become cockroaches. Riceville and Turkey Valley are two close to me that I thought would be dead by now, but both seem relatively stable and in Riceville's case actually have larger classes than they did 20 years ago. I assume someday they will go away, but these communities support them pretty well and they just keep chugging along.

Good for them if they can pull it off.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
TI is basically North Iowa + Corn Bowl with a couple falling off in either direction, right?
Mostly. Add in garrigan and eagle grove.

Osage was a main driver to have closer rivals to have another excuse besides wrestling. Now they complain that they don’t have schools their size for the competition. They had that in the NIC. The other pusher I was told was Beohmer at lake mills. He’s an Osage alum and a guy that wants recognition and attention.

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
The Top of Iowa conference was a very stupid move for the North Iowa conference teams. Wrestling was the driver, but even that is falling apart with Belmond sending their wrestlers to Clarion, Garrigan lying about starting up a wrestling team and never having one so they could enter, Rockford leaving and the looks of others possibly joining or quitting wrestling. The NI conference was fine and the idiots who pushed for the top of Iowa should be taken behind the woodshed.
I agree, both the NIC and Corn bowl were probably better off still being separate, or at least should have not added everyone into the Top of Iowa Conference. I'm surprised the Corn Bowl just didn't add some of the Iowa Star north and keep it that way. A few of the outlier schools should be shaved off the conference in my opinion.

Who plans on cutting wrestling?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I agree, both the NIC and Corn bowl were probably better off still being separate, or at least should have not added everyone into the Top of Iowa Conference. I'm surprised the Corn Bowl just didn't add some of the Iowa Star north and keep it that way. A few of the outlier schools should be shaved off the conference in my opinion.

Some of them were in the Corn Bowl historically. Riceville was before going to 8 man. I can't remember if Clarksville was ever part of it or not.

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022

Some of them were in the Corn Bowl historically. Riceville was before going to 8 man. I can't remember if Clarksville was ever part of it or not.
Yup, I remember Riceville. Not sure on Clarksville. What will Top of Iowa do now with an odd number? Think they will add a school?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015

Clarksville never was.

It used to be St Ansgar, Greene, Riceville, Rockwell-Swaledale, Nora Springs, North Central, Rockford, and NP. With all of the mergers (Allison and Greene, Rockwell with Sheffield, etc) program shares (North Butler and Clarksville wrestling for example) things are becoming more complicated. With districts and the constant mergers and shares, changing school sizes by the year, I really don't see a point in having conferences. As schools merge or share programs simply redistrict/class them and make schedules based on those districts.

The only schools conferences make sense for are the larger schools. Even then, they would be largely split into districts that would align with the geographical location of the conferences anyway. Just get rid of them and simplify everything for the schools, ADs, and everyone else.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Yup, I remember Riceville. Not sure on Clarksville. What will Top of Iowa do now with an odd number? Think they will add a school?

Nah, Clarksville was always Iowa Star, with Cal Dows, Allison (before they joined Greene) etc. For about 10 years they were terrible at every sport as it seemed most kids were more interested in drinking and smoking weed than anything else.

Back in the mid to late 90s their football team was terrible, often being 50 pointed by halftime.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Clarksville never was.

It used to be St Ansgar, Greene, Riceville, Rockwell-Swaledale, Nora Springs, North Central, Rockford, and NP. With all of the mergers (Allison and Greene, Rockwell with Sheffield, etc) program shares (North Butler and Clarksville wrestling for example) things are becoming more complicated. With districts and the constant mergers and shares, changing school sizes by the year, I really don't see a point in having conferences. As schools merge or share programs simply redistrict/class them and make schedules based on those districts.

The only schools conferences make sense for are the larger schools. Even then, they would be largely split into districts that would align with the geographical location of the conferences anyway. Just get rid of them and simplify everything for the schools, ADs, and everyone else.
For sports outside of football, it makes it easier to schedule. A district won't provide enough games to fill a schedule and a conference can bridge that gap.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with this.

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
Nah, Clarksville was always Iowa Star, with Cal Dows, Allison (before they joined Greene) etc. For about 10 years they were terrible at every sport as it seemed most kids were more interested in drinking and smoking weed than anything else.

Back in the mid to late 90s their football team was terrible, often being 50 pointed by halftime.
Has much changed there? lol

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Nice that a Charles city alum is doing well????????
Deleted and put into correct thread (Cyclones in the NBA)

I'm still bitter about losing an OT game to Charles City on a banked 3-pointer (from the top of the key!) at the buzzer so I'm not giving them Monte Morris.

I'm also bitter that Decorah is being left without a conference after being in the NEIC for 100 years.

Plus, Seneca was IN....

Reactions: BCClone and Cy83ag

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
For sports outside of football, it makes it easier to schedule. A district won't provide enough games to fill a schedule and a conference can bridge that gap.

Otherwise, I tend to agree with this.

I tend to disagree with this.

As is, districting often does some really stupid **** when compared with conference alignments. Often a conference will have teams in 3 or 4 different sectionals or districts, even if they are all (or mostly in) the same class. What better way to seed a district properly than have mostly same-district opponents on the schedule. Do home and aways and supplement with other area teams near district lines). Once teams get to districts/sectionals, they can be seeded based on like schedules which actually improves the fairness of the entire ordeal.

The one sport that probably needs and has always needed the most work is wrestling, especially at the individual level. The smaller classes have the most kids yet their are often sectionals/districts that are insanely easy/tough based on the weights and the year. Case in point, one of my classmates had the 2nd and 3rd ranked kids in his district his sophomore year, and the 1st and 2nd ranked kids his junior year. The sophomore year he lost to both, by 1 point, while his junior year those kids went on to place 1st and 2nd at state. There really should be some at large births reserved and distributed based on year results, and toughness of districts.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Has much changed there? lol

I'd say yes. A lot of the current parents are from the 80s and early 90s era when they actually had great wrestling teams and competent football teams. IIRC their 8 man squad was pretty good this year (making the playoffs). In the mid to late 90s C-ville produced several 0-fers and a single win season was met with jeers.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Clarksville never was.

NP, was just Nashua, which was in the Corn Bow. Plainfield was not before merger.

I think Northwood was a regular non con for most in the CB until they joined in 2002.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They operate as two separate conferences now anyway, west and east. One statement was it would make scheduling easier. That may have been the dumbest excuse ever. Just have the NI and Corn Bowl meet at NIACC or something, each with themselves to set their conference and then together and find schools to play.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
NP, was just Nashua, which was in the Corn Bow. Plainfield was not before merger.

I think Northwood was a regular non con for most in the CB until they joined in 2002.

I was thinking Plainfield merged much earlier than they did, in the late 80s or early 90s but it was 1997. Wow.

And yes to the Northwood Kensett stuff. They were either a scheduled opponent or a district opponent for many before they joined. We played them FIVE times in a 3 year stretch in football at one point. Three years in a row in the POs, and 2 district games.

Reactions: 2speedy1