Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Population shifts and district enrollments. For example, if every school is 2A it's great. But then one or two schools shrink to 1A and half of the 2A schools grow to 3A, and suddenly you have a huge disparity top to bottom.
I agree, in that case it makes sense to reshuffle

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Got to thinking back when I was in school, we were the smallest 2a in state. now my old high school is one of the smallest one A’s in state and their classes are bigger than mine
I went to the same high school as the boys but it was 3A then. We actually moved out of the West Des Moines district because the boys all needed math acceleration and their only solution was full grade acceleration because of scheduling down the road with their building that just has ninth graders. They needed more than one grade acceleration in math but not in every freaking subject. One thing about smaller schools is they are more flexible. My kids all doing online AP and college math classes in high school was probably good warmup for Covid online college classes.

CyPhallus

Oct 19, 2021
I'm now fully aware that you all love the substandard education you received in a broom closet but that doesn't mean what I've said is any less accurate.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Really? You asked multiple times what a real ISU engineering weed out class was.
Yeah, because I mentioned online classes and you said that you wouldn’t be able to handle a weed out class at ISU with those. So when I said that many engineers take the basics at DMACC you said those aren’t weed outs. So why would a small town ISU student who has been at ISU for a year or two be different from a big school student who has been there the same time? You’re moving goal posts it seems.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I had a math/science teacher who was incredible, even though smaller school. Not sure how to capture that metric.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If you take out the Eric Sanders/Ryan Majerus group in the early 2000s, Oelwien is literally going on 60 years of not being competitive in any team sport.
They had some very salty baseball teams before the group you mention. I played against a state runner up in '89 and they spent some of the '90s ranked in top 5 of 3A baseball. Sanders and Denny O. had some good battles when they were both at their peak, which may overlap with what you're referring to...the years run together. Your larger point still stands. They've definitely had their struggles.
Technology and Corporate Farming.

Families in those towns used to have tons of kids to do farm work and that is slowly but surely being replaced by corporate farms that either automate or bring in labor.

Turkey Valley is the best example. They won a 3A state track title in 1987 and 3A Baseball in 1985. Their most recent BEDS is 88, they're disappearing.

Rural schools are dying and the bedroom communities (Jesup, Dike, North Linn, Denver, etc) that have invested in their schools are maintaining or slightly growing and are the ones that are winning everything in Sports, Music and Speech.

I believe Turkey Valley is still one of if not the largest school district in the state geographically. It's amazing that their enrollment can be that small. It really speaks to how much smaller families are. I'm friends with a few of the guys off the '85 state championship baseball team. They were THE smallest 3A school and it was very much a David v. Goliath thing for them to play at, let alone win state.

Reactions: Macloney

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
They had some very salty baseball teams before the group you mention. I played against a state runner up in '89 and they spent some of the '90s ranked in top 5 of 3A baseball. Sanders and Denny O. had some good battles when they were both at their peak, which may overlap with what you're referring to...the years run together. Your larger point still stands. They've definitely had their struggles.

I believe Turkey Valley is still one of if not the largest school district in the state geographically. It's amazing that their enrollment can be that small. It really speaks to how much smaller families are. I'm friends with a few of the guys off the '85 state championship baseball team. They were THE smallest 3A school and it was very much a David v. Goliath thing for them to play at, let alone win state.

I think Crestwood is largest by area, could be wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron